* ScanBot (a bot for featured article)

Please come and help

Anthere
Re: how you can help [ In reply to ]
On Apr 2, 2005 8:54 AM, Anthere <anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sometimes you find yourself in
> need of help. For fight against vandalism, translation, promotion of
> your projects and anything related to the project.
> You can request for help on
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/We_need_your_help

Perhaps the Wikimedia Collaboration of the Week
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_COTW> could focus on the
tasks listed at this page. The first one is likely to focus on sorting
out the help pages on Meta, but any of the tasks at
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/We_need_your_help> would seem ideal
candidates for a COTW.

Angela.
Re: how you can help [ In reply to ]
True, but "we need help" does not necessarily call dozen of editors, it
may be just a limited number.
Besides, "we need help" calls for individual initiatives, not for first
a voting time to decide whether the project should be helped or not.

Sorry Angela, but imho, as far as individual help is welcome, voting is
evil :-)

Re: Re: how you can help [ In reply to ]
I see no reason for the pages not to coexist -- just as we have multiple
pages on the English Wikipedia pointing out articles in need of help,
hopefully there will be multiple pages on Meta coordinating work on
worthwhile projects.

The main difference with the Collaboration of the Week (COTW) idea is
that it should be featured on the individual Wikimedia projects to truly
bring out a large number of volunteers working on a single task in
multiple languages. That high level of exposure makes it necessary to
have a selection process, and the voting rules as used on Wikimedia COTW
have proven very successful for the English Wikipedia COTW.

The first WM-COTW will start on Monday; I'll send out a separate
announcement then and Angela and I will try to get the template into use
on some more Community Portals or similar pages. Any help is welcome.

Hopefully, if the WM-COTW is successful, this will get more people
interested in Meta and, hence, in the [[We need your help]] page and
similar tasklists.

All best,

Erik
Re: how you can help [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller a écrit:
> I see no reason for the pages not to coexist -- just as we have multiple
> pages on the English Wikipedia pointing out articles in need of help,
> hopefully there will be multiple pages on Meta coordinating work on
> worthwhile projects.

Naturally. I totally agree.

> The main difference with the Collaboration of the Week (COTW) idea is
> that it should be featured on the individual Wikimedia projects to truly
> bring out a large number of volunteers working on a single task in
> multiple languages. That high level of exposure makes it necessary to
> have a selection process, and the voting rules as used on Wikimedia COTW
> have proven very successful for the English Wikipedia COTW.

Exactly. The two process can meet, but they are different.

> The first WM-COTW will start on Monday; I'll send out a separate
> announcement then and Angela and I will try to get the template into use
> on some more Community Portals or similar pages. Any help is welcome.
>
> Hopefully, if the WM-COTW is successful, this will get more people
> interested in Meta and, hence, in the [[We need your help]] page and
> similar tasklists.
>
> All best,
>
> Erik

I hope this just as much as you.