Mailing List Archive

Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects
Wikistats are now available for all Wikimedia projects.

Stats have been generated from the latest dumps, which are from March 9.

Wikipedias
http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/EN/Sitemap.htm

Wiktionaries (use refresh button when you see old stats)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wiktionary/EN/Sitemap.htm

Wikiquotes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wikiquote/EN/Sitemap.htm

Wikibooks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wikibooks/EN/Sitemap.htm

Wikinews
http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wikinews/EN/Sitemap.htm

Wikispecial: wikisource/meta/sep11/species/commons/foundation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wikispecial/EN/Sitemap.htm

Sj wrote:
> If there were a machine dedicated to stats of various kinds,
> with its own mirror of the db, could this be done more efficiently
> as a running-total, updated whenever the db was updated?

A dedicated mirrored server for these and other background jobs (e.g. IBM
history flow charts and Special Pages) would certainly help. Switching away
from processing dumps towards direct SQL access has been suggested before.
Especially with the upcoming database scheme change, dumps become more
difficult to handle, though not impossible.

I had my doubts about switching, because very heavy 'Special:' SQL queries
have been often disabled or cancelled halfway to bring down server load, and
the stats queries will be very heavy indeed.

A separate server would make this less of an issue. Average CPU speed will
do fine, memory no less than 1Gb, preferably 2GB. Even though I took great
care to keep memory requirements at an acceptable level, some hash tables
need to be in memory and their sizes grow like everything else around here.

I hope you don't mean running-total literally, where all figures change
every second :)
At least it should be possible to generate new stats once or twice a week,
instead of once a month (the latter depending on how often dumps are
generated).

Erik Zachte
Re: Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
--- Erik Zachte <e.p.zachte@chello.nl> wrote:
> Wikistats are now available for all Wikimedia projects.
>
> Stats have been generated from the latest dumps, which are from March 9.
>
> Wikipedias
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/EN/Sitemap.htm
>
> Wiktionaries (use refresh button when you see old stats)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wiktionary/EN/Sitemap.htm
>
> Wikiquotes
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wikiquote/EN/Sitemap.htm
>
> Wikibooks
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wikibooks/EN/Sitemap.htm
>
> Wikinews
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wikinews/EN/Sitemap.htm
>
> Wikispecial: wikisource/meta/sep11/species/commons/foundation
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/wikispecial/EN/Sitemap.htm

Cool. But why is everything at en.wikipedia.org? Wikimedia.org would make a
great deal more sense.

-- mav

http://mail.yahoo.com
Re: Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Thank you for Erik, It has been my dream to have Wikiquote statistic
pages like Wikipedia...

On Apr 2, 2005 5:19 PM, Daniel Mayer <maveric149@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Cool. But why is everything at en.wikipedia.org? Wikimedia.org would make a
> great deal more sense.

Or wikimediafoundation.org ?
If no one oppose, I prefer to add links to stat pages on [[Our
projects]] on the WMF.
--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com
Re: Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
On Apr 2, 2005 3:32 AM, Erik Zachte <e.p.zachte@chello.nl> wrote:
> Stats have been generated from the latest dumps, which are from March 9.

Even though, there aren't respective versions for new Wikinews
languages, which were created on February 19. Were they even created,
or are they simply not included on the stats page?

Dariusz Siedlecki
Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Dariusz Siedlecki:

> Even though, there aren't respective versions for new Wikinews
> languages, which were created on February 19. Were they even created,
> or are they simply not included on the stats page?

Only languages for which a dump is available will appear in stats
http://download.wikimedia.org/index.php?thingumy=wikinews

According to the language code list that drives the dumps uk/pt/pl/bg/ro/it
will be dumped next time.

Erik Zachte
Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Daniel:

>> But why is everything at en.wikipedia.org?
>> Wikimedia.org would make a great deal more sense.

Aphaea:

> Or wikimediafoundation.org ?

This is partly for historic reasons. Wikipedia and Wiktionary stats were
already placed at en.wikipedia.org, so I just extended that scheme for other
projects.

Moving the stats now would break a lot of links, not all links on wikipedia
pages are to the sitemap pages, so I guess each html file would need a
separate redirect?

Similarly why is common.wikipedia.org not named common.wikimedia.org? Other
Wikimedia projects can benefit from a shared resource pool as well.

I guess these small inconsistencies are a fact of life. I can live with it,
but if redirecting all existing links is easy, I don't mind moving all stats
either.

Erik Zachte
Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
>> Similarly why is common.wikipedia.org not named common.wikimedia.org?
Other
>> Wikimedia projects can benefit from a shared resource pool as well.

> Actually, it IS commons.wikimedia.org

Oops, I'm embarrased :)

commons.wikipedia.org is indeed redirected

Erik Zachte
Re: Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
> Similarly why is common.wikipedia.org not named common.wikimedia.org? Other
> Wikimedia projects can benefit from a shared resource pool as well.

Actually, it IS commons.wikimedia.org

--
Ausir
Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia