--
NSK
http://portal.wikinerds.org
Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]
NSK wrote:
> "Wikimedia needs your help in its $75,000 (€57,500) fund drive."
>
> It should be:
>
> "Wikimedia needs your help in its US$75,000 (€57,500) fund drive."

Why? The $ symbol, as applied to units of capital called "dollars", was
developed for use with US currency. I don't really think there's an
NPOV violation going on if the "US" is omitted when representing US
dollar amounts. This would, I think, be one of those occasions where it
tends to work equally well either way without an implied bias, though
prepending "US" might help disambiguate the representation in cases
where the $ symbol is used for several different currencies.

--
Chad
Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]
NSK wrote:
> On Sunday 20 February 2005 02:34, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
>>where the $ symbol is used for several different currencies.
>

> There are Canadian dollars and Australian dollars. I think there are other
> states using dollars, too.

Uh, yeah. Did you read what I sent?

--
Chad
Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]

Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 20 February 2005 02:34, Chad Perrin wrote:
> developed for use with US currency. I don't really think there's an
> NPOV violation going on if the "US" is omitted when representing US

Wikipedia is international, not a US site. Canadians expect to read Canadian
values when they see $. It should be US$ to maintain NPOV.

--
NSK
http://portal.wikinerds.org
Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 05:50:47 +0200, NSK <nsk2@wikinerds.org> wrote:
> Wikipedia is international, not a US site. Canadians expect to read Canadian
> values when they see $. It should be US$ to maintain NPOV.
>
> --
> NSK

[[en:MediaWiki:Sitenotice]] specifies US dollars.
[[Wikimedia:Wikimedia needs your help]] and [[Wikimedia:Fundraising]]
both specify US dollars, while the donation report ([[Wikimedia:Fund
drives/2005/Q1/Day 1]]) breaks the amounts down by national currency.
Does it need to be changed anywhere else? If not, why is it still
being argued about?

--
Charles Podles
Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]
NSK wrote:

>On Sunday 20 February 2005 02:34, Chad Perrin wrote:
>

>>developed for use with US currency. I don't really think there's an
>>NPOV violation going on if the "US" is omitted when representing US
>>

>Wikipedia is international, not a US site. Canadians expect to read Canadian
>values when they see $. It should be US$ to maintain NPOV.

It's not a matter of NPOV at all. It's a matter of avoiding
ambiguities. Canadians are far more experienced at recognizing which $
is intended by the context than people in the US who get very confused
when any curency than their own is mentioned. It's quite common for US
merchants, even ones near the border, to refuse Canadian currency
because they don't understand it. A Canadian merchant will except the
US currency, and have some idea about what to do with exchange rates.

This leaves Canadians bemused, and contributes much to putting our
streotypes about confused Americans on a solid footing.

Ec
Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]
At the risk of flaming race riots, this intrigues me. What do you mean
they are confused by canadian $s. As in they do not know the exchange
rate? And do all canadian merchants accept US$, or all merchants near
the border? Either way that seems very strange (then again as an
Australian land borders seem very strange)

if this is getting too offtopic, then you can reply to me personaly.

paz y amor,
-[[User:The bellman]]

--
hit me: robin.shannon.id.au
jab me: saudade@jabber.zim.net.au

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Recombo Plus License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/
Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]
I was being perfectly literal. Of course now there are some malls that
cater to Canadian business, and the merchants in those malls would fall
in line with the mall's policy. Apart from that, and a few others who
are a little more knowledgeable, rather than informing themselves of
exchange rates they tend to look at Canadian currency as some kind of
multicoloured play money. Canadians quickly adapt and don't bother
trying to use Canadian currency there.

To say that ALL Canadian merchants accept US currency would be a little
absolute. One can always find exceptions to a rule. It should come as
no surprise that a British study a few years ago about jokes determined
that the most popular joke topic among Canadians was Americans. :-)

Of course too, New Zealander comments about Australians aren't always
kindly. ;-)

Ec

Re: currency POV [ In reply to ]