Mailing List Archive

wikinews requirement
So, to summarize

Until a little while ago, the only requirement was that 5 people show interest.
It did not matter that these 5 were trolls, or were regulars, or even voted 3 months ago.

I suggested a change in policy, requiring that amongst these 5 people, at least 2 are regular editors of at least one of our projects.
You agreed with this suggestion.

One week later, you would like to change it again, and change the 2 regular editors requirement to a at least 2 editors are creating/translating policies on meta.

When I object that a project started by 5 totally unknown editors is likely to have problems respecting our basic principles, you answer that the requirement of being a long term editor is not a proof that the editor is well versed in our policy.

Though I agree with this statement, I consider it a fallacy. There is much much more chance that an editor having been for a while on a project is aware of our policies, and the fact he might NOT be is NO argument to support people with no experience is better than people with experience.

We do have three major points to consider

* understanding that the project is a collaboration, that a sysop is not the boss, and that being the sysop of a project absolutely does not mean that the sysop should restrict access to pages such as the main page.

* understanding our neutrality policy, which is not always easy for a newbie, and results sometimes in main page being covered with advertisement

* understanding our copyright policy; though less visible, it is for wikinews the more tricky one, and very likely the one most likely to get us in trouble.

When someone will start a new wikinews, it is VERY likely a wikipedia will already exist in that language, so there is no need to translate ANYTHING. THe editor can just go to the relevant projet language, and COPY the NPOV rules, copy the COPYRIGHT rules. Just copy and past text does not mean this text is understood, nor that it is applied.

If you mean by COPYING rules, just going to the english version and copying the rules of the english version, I will object that no project should exist which has no community able to make their own rules.

If you do want an example of what I mean, I invite you to visit http://wo.wikipedia.org

This is a new project.
A group of editors from an african NGO want to work on it.
For it to start, one of those guys asked me to be sysop on it (needed for decent start).

In his country, french is widely spoken, so he just copied french wikipedia rules.
Then, as soon as he was sysop, he put some advertisement for his NGO on the main page, then when the main page was restored to a more neutral situation, he put back the advertisement (in good faith I am sure) and protected the main page.

In 24 hours, this editor, who want to nurture a group of at least 5 people,
* broke the rule of neutrality (though he had copied them from fr)
* broke the rule of collaborative writing (restricting access to main page to him only)
* broke the rule of admin just being no more powerful than another editor (in reverting and protecting the page to his preference)

For all I know, the text he put on the main page could be under copyright as well.

In short, what you are asking is basically that we remove the requirement we just agreed upon, which was frankly not very demanding. Why did you agree on it to immediately remove your agreement ?

Anthere-

> * activity shows interest, so avoid missed launches such as the french
> wikinews one

Actually, it doesn't. French Wikinews would have passed the edit count
requirements (haven't checked user duration); as you yourself said,
Greudin is a very active user on fr.wikipedia and has pledged support
for the French Wikinews, yet he has only made a handful of edits there.

Translating/creating policies seems to be a much better test of actual
interest in doing work. Once you do that, that shows a commitment to the
project.

> * past activity of at least 2 editors on a wikipedia (for example)
> indicates that at least 2 editors are aware of our basic principles
> and in particular NPOV requirement.

What better test could there be for people understanding a policy like
NPOV than requiring them to translate it?

> Again, the is a security measure. If 5 people, not even one oldby on
> one of our project, decide to launch a wikinews with no experience at
> all, there is rather high risk that some of our principles are not
> respected;

I don't see it that way. Just because someone has been on Wikipedia for
months doesn't mean that they respect policies at all. Quantity is not
quality, and measuring quality is almost impossible while keeping the
process scalable and fair. One could even argue that malicious trolls or
otherwise harmful users who know how to manipulate policies in their
interest are more likely to come from our existing user base. In fact,
Wikinews will especially attract people who are fed up with Wikipedia
and want to work on another wiki.

> and since it is not in a language we necessarily manage, it might go
> on for a long time.

This is more likely if key policies like NPOV are *not* translated. If
we can agree on which parts of our policies are not negotiable, we can
make sure that they are in place. One of these policies can even include
instructions on what to do if your wiki doesn't follow the Wikimedia
spirit (contact stewards etc.).

Future projects don't necessarily match our current userbase. To tie the
process for creating new language editions directly to that userbase
seems needlessly restrictive. Building a small community on Meta and
writing key pages before launching the project is also simply good
planning -- exactly the kind of thing that could have helped to prevent
the current fr.wikinews.org situation, much more so than algorithmic
requirements whose actual predictive value is very low, as that
experience has shown.

Regards,

Erik

wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
I regret that you use fallacies so much Erik.
Trying to remove the requirement that 2 over 5 people are regulars so as to start a project,
by arguing that these 2 might be trolls or want to destroy wikipedia, strike me as deeply dishonnest.

I was deeply deeply unhappy of the creation of the french wikinews,
because this creation was not done according to the support of the french community.
The result is a broken project, which I deeply regret.

I find disquieting that you tried to cool down people like notafish and I by agreeing to add a new requirement
for the creation, only to try to cancel it two weeks later.

You can not at the same time FORCE all communities, without asking their opinion, of not using
images uploads, due to the fear of copyright violations (which is what you did a week ago)

, and at the same time object to using very simple indicators to assert whether editors are aware of our policies (in particular the copyright ones).

This is just illogical. Or rather... the only logic is to open more and more wikinews as quickly as possible.

You just can't expect I support this Erik.

=Nicolas Weeger-> And how can you check the> translation is correct unless you speak the language? :)How do I know the "regular" is not actually a troll without speaking the language? How do I know that the only reason he wants to start a Wikinews isn't that he hates Wikipedia after having spent several months there? How do I know his intentions are good? You could require one of the people to be a sysop, but that seems like an onerous requirement. An algorithmic contribution check is *not* a quality check.Let's be realistic here. What kind of person would intentionally manipulate policies and get away with it under the auspices of other users: a random person who's never been involved in our projects, or someone who is intimately familiar with them? Furthermore, remember that there would still be a requirement of *multiple users* participating. How likely is it that a malicious person would get away with deliberately falsely translating something like NPOV when working with 4
others?And let's not forget about http://usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?AssumeGoodFaith - the very idea of a wiki is to be open and welcoming to newcomers, rather than requiring people to be members of an existing "clique". If the risk of malicious people ruining the project was so big, then Wikipedia itself could never have been started. Yes, Wikinews is different -- but a Wikinews edition which is likely to attract attention from the outside is also likely to attract attention from the inside, allowing us to deal with malicious users. Yes, Wikinews is different -- and that's why we should be welcoming to *people* who are different and not yet part of our community.Regards,Erik

Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
Anthere a écrit :
> I regret that you use fallacies so much Erik.
> Trying to remove the requirement that 2 over 5 people are regulars so as to start a project,
> by arguing that these 2 might be trolls or want to destroy wikipedia, strike me as deeply dishonnest.
>
> I was deeply deeply unhappy of the creation of the french wikinews,
> because this creation was not done according to the support of the french community.
> The result is a broken project, which I deeply regret.
>
> I find disquieting that you tried to cool down people like notafish and I by agreeing to add a new requirement
> for the creation, only to try to cancel it two weeks later.

I agree with Anthere on a few points. You agreed on rules, you should
imo apply'em on a few projects creation before asking for a change - so
you can argue why it's better to change, based on experience and not
just because you feel it would be better.

I too regret how fr: was created - for reasons others have explained. I
don't have anything against creating new projects, but i think we must
make sure it won't be such a mess (i am not blaming anyone, just stating
facts). And changing rules all the time makes for a real mess in my opinion.

I understand your motivations are to create more wikinews. Fine, but in
due time, no need to rush, wait for community to ask loudly for a wikinews.

Nicolas Ryo
Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
As news considered let it be 24X7 always. So need more than 5 people
in the team i think

And if you all prefer mark one specific domains, as they have
expertise, like politics, business, technology etc etc..

So more than a number the team needs good journalists rather than just
information providers..

--
Regards
Ginu George

Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
Anthere,

I won't discuss this further with you as long as any email discussion
with you turns into a tirade of accusations and insults.

Regards,

Erik
Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
Erik,

If you consider this a tirade of accusations and insults, you should
go and think about whether perhaps it is your own fault. Apparently
rules have been decided, which both Anthere and you agreed on. Then
singlehandedly you change those rules, and apply a whole new version.
Now you decide that Anthere is not worth discussing those rules with.

As far as I know, the only one in our group that deserves the name
'benevolent dictator' is Jimbo. Not you.

Andre Engels

Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
Anthere-

>Erik,
>
>If you consider this a tirade of accusations and insults, you should
>go and think about whether perhaps it is your own fault. Apparently
>rules have been decided, which both Anthere and you agreed on. Then
>singlehandedly you change those rules, and apply a whole new version.
>Now you decide that Anthere is not worth discussing those rules with.

You shouldn't believe everything Anthere says. No rules have been
changed, nor applied.

Regards,

Erik
Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
Ah ?

Well

Please accept my apologies if you felt insulted.

Ant

Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller a écrit:
> Anthere-
>
>> Erik,
>>
>> If you consider this a tirade of accusations and insults, you should
>> go and think about whether perhaps it is your own fault. Apparently
>> rules have been decided, which both Anthere and you agreed on. Then
>> singlehandedly you change those rules, and apply a whole new version.
>> Now you decide that Anthere is not worth discussing those rules with.
>>
> You shouldn't believe everything Anthere says. No rules have been
> changed, nor applied.
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik

Sorry here, but...

I made a proposal to have at least a certain number of these 5 required
editors be "regulars".

No one opposed.
You did not oppose it.

We also discussed it privately on irc, and it seems to me we agreed upon
this solution.

Later, you wrote
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2005-February/002120.html

For me, this counted like an agreement from you.

Not ??? You did not agree with this ??? What have we been discussing
upon during days then ???

Ant
Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:

>* understanding that the project is a collaboration, that a sysop is not the boss, and that being the sysop of a project absolutely does not mean that the sysop should restrict access to pages such as the main page.

Unfortunately main pages need to be protected more quickly than others.
When a vandal alters the main page to redirect to his home page or to a
porno page the effect can be to put the whole project off line until
somebody can fix it. For a big project many knowledgeable people are
available to react quickly, but it is also a greater magnet for
vandals. A small project may have these problems less often, but it may
stay there longer before being fixed. Solving this problem should be
done in a way that minimizes damage to collaborativeness.

>When someone will start a new wikinews, it is VERY likely a wikipedia will already exist in that language, so there is no need to translate ANYTHING. THe editor can just go to the relevant projet language, and COPY the NPOV rules, copy the COPYRIGHT rules. Just copy and past text does not mean this text is understood, nor that it is applied.
>
>If you mean by COPYING rules, just going to the english version and copying the rules of the english version, I will object that no project should exist which has no community able to make their own rules.

Exactly! It makes me wonder about those people who feel that they
cannot function unless they have previously adopted a complete system of
rules. Except for broad questions of fundamental principles communities
must preceed rules. Rules must then reflect the community and codify
its practices. They must be sensitive to a changing zeitgeist.
Sometimes we need to reflect on how centuries of paternalistic thought
have affected the way we are today. In contrast to the diligent respect
for rules, effecting real change requires counterintuitive action. It
requires abandoning the cosy comfort zone that rules provide. Maybe
there should be a law that whenever a politician gives a speech to his
country's parliament he would need to do so with his clothes off.

>If you do want an example of what I mean, I invite you to visit http://wo.wikipedia.org
>
>This is a new project.
>A group of editors from an african NGO want to work on it.
>For it to start, one of those guys asked me to be sysop on it (needed for decent start).
>
>In his country, french is widely spoken, so he just copied french wikipedia rules.
>Then, as soon as he was sysop, he put some advertisement for his NGO on the main page, then when the main page was restored to a more neutral situation, he put back the advertisement (in good faith I am sure) and protected the main page.

Perfectly predictable when the rules are nothing but words. - not to
mention the enforced ambiguity that came from decolonisation.

>Translating/creating policies seems to be a much better test of actual
>interest in doing work. Once you do that, that shows a commitment to the
>project.

People need to do both. Mere translation is a mechanical act. There is
a need to discuss how those policies guide our activity. Policies
beyond fundamental principles can and should vary between projects

>>Again, the is a security measure. If 5 people, not even one oldby on
>>one of our project, decide to launch a wikinews with no experience at
>>all, there is rather high risk that some of our principles are not
>>respected;
>>

>I don't see it that way. Just because someone has been on Wikipedia for
>months doesn't mean that they respect policies at all. Quantity is not
>quality, and measuring quality is almost impossible while keeping the
>process scalable and fair. One could even argue that malicious trolls or
>otherwise harmful users who know how to manipulate policies in their
>interest are more likely to come from our existing user base.

We live in a security-obsessed society, where everyone seems to have
forgotten that we are all mortal.

>In fact,
>Wikinews will especially attract people who are fed up with Wikipedia
>and want to work on another wiki.

A common phenomenon that affects all projects. Most of us like to
contribute without being trapped on a merry-go-round of bickering.

>This is more likely if key policies like NPOV are *not* translated. If
>we can agree on which parts of our policies are not negotiable, we can
>make sure that they are in place. One of these policies can even include
>instructions on what to do if your wiki doesn't follow the Wikimedia
>spirit (contact stewards etc.)

Maybe that would have prevented the total shutdown that is taking place
on the japanese wiktionary.

Yes the key policies do need to be translated, but only to the extent
that they provide an operating framework. We all have a vision of what
NPOV means, but its details are the subject of endless inconclusive
debates. Too many people end up trying to call balls and strikes when
they are standing in the outfield. They know the rulebook thoroughly,
but they were holding the book upsidedown when they learned it.

Ec
Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
-basic rules should be established *before* the project should start
-and it means a enough number of people who are experienced at the aim
of project and/or
our policies and ideals, like NPOV, but with some modifications and
adoptations, if necessary
-it is strongly recommanded the newly created community has a good
preperation, specially if they had a waiting time before their reqeust
would be approved.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:34:05 -0800, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:

> >If you mean by COPYING rules, just going to the english version and copying the rules of the english version, I will object that no project should exist which has no community able to make their own rules.
> >
> Exactly! It makes me wonder about those people who feel that they
> cannot function unless they have previously adopted a complete system of
> rules. Except for broad questions of fundamental principles communities
> must preceed rules.

Agreed. The question is what are those "fundamental principles". We
see each Wikimedia project has different opinion except NPOV and GFDL.
Some communities count only board and the Founder's former
instructions, other include other community based idea like "Be bold".
So for saving a mess on some projects - wolof wp and ja wiktionary are
unfortunate cases among ours - and for helping newly being created
projects, it would be helpful to show what are our fundamental
principals.

It is more than those principals are written in letters. It is true
here "letters kill you, but the spilit makes you alive". Avoiding wo
wp case, the community could understand those principals and apply to
their actual cases. In my opinion this assertion has two corollaries:
1) those principals could be modified applying the actual experiences
on the community and 2) for this purpose, that is, its good
understanding there should be people who know the aim and mechanism
of the project to some extent.

So it seems to me a reasonable requirement that a new project should
be began by a certain number of experienced people who have been
already active on some project. In most cases 50 edits are enough show
their behaviour and their and understanding to the policies in my
opinion, and it is different from shutting out newbies: it takes two
days to make 50 major edits, if they spent whole a weekend for
activity on wiki. (well I however admit it might be a view of heavy
wikiholics prausibly ...)

On the other hand, I agree with Ray on that most of rules would
however be developed on the community through their activities, not
preceeding its creation. But to manage difficult cases experience on
other projects is helpful: the people who commit a project and/or the
entire Wikimedia project, if possible, with sufficient understanding
of policies and its mechanism. So here we expect experienced people at
the beginning point of a certain project. Or

> Perfectly predictable when the rules are nothing but words.

such a situation would come up again, I assume.

> >Translating/creating policies seems to be a much better test of actual
> >interest in doing work. Once you do that, that shows a commitment to the
> >project.
> >
> People need to do both. Mere translation is a mechanical act. There is
> a need to discuss how those policies guide our activity. Policies
> beyond fundamental principles can and should vary between projects

So the question is what are "fundamental principles". I think we must
make it clear and provide a set of those principles in a form as
neutral as possible (not depending on a certain project but also
refertable to some concrete cases for further understanding). For
example, NPOV guidelein in NPOV (not depending on a certain language
project matters) ... as a startpont for each participants who want to
create a new project.

> Maybe that would have prevented the total shutdown that is taking place
> on the japanese wiktionary.

We can point out some factors of JA wikt shutdown, though I myself
was not wholely clear the situation; I had been very inactive there
during some months. And after I was back, I was surprised there were
no changes or progress on policies' drafting before I had left it.
There were almost no discussion on Beer Parlour (VP of wiktionary). It
makes me convince strongly a new project need both people who concern
policies and administrative issues (though it is not so fun than
submission of new entires) and eager submitter of contents.

--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com
Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
My other email was written before I read this thread, sorry about
that. However, my point remains the same, and I agree with many other
things added on the subject, such as starting a wikinews with *only*
five people, but I will leave it at that for now.

cheers,

Delphine
Re: wikinews requirement [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge a écrit:

> A common phenomenon that affects all projects. Most of us like to
> contribute without being trapped on a merry-go-round of bickering.
>
>> This is more likely if key policies like NPOV are *not* translated. If
>> we can agree on which parts of our policies are not negotiable, we can
>> make sure that they are in place. One of these policies can even
>> include instructions on what to do if your wiki doesn't follow the
>> Wikimedia spirit (contact stewards etc.)
>>
> Maybe that would have prevented the total shutdown that is taking place
> on the japanese wiktionary.

By the way... Ec and the others... what do you think of the shutdown of
ja wiktionary ?

I am asking the question, because if I put in line

* shut down of wiktionary - after vote and decision by the japanese
community only. No opposition clearly voiced after the shut down.

* opening of wikinews - after decision by Erik, with 5 editors support
and against french community opinion - clear complaints after the opening.

* prospective opening of chinese wikinews - a poll made on meta show a
lack of clarity on whether the decision should be made 1) with 5 editors
or 2) with a global vote or 3) with a chinese vote

So, the least we can say, is that in terms of opening projects, or
closing projects, is that THERE IS NO CONSENSUS ON HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE :-)

Ant