Mailing List Archive

legal question
Hi,

The collection of quotes can be used for example:

- if the collector does not like the other editor, and knows his name, he can
find out his employer, and write to his employer defaming the author of the
quotes, for example.

-The collector can publish the quotes in any medium with for example paired
with a defaming description, hoping, that he hurts the author like that.

- If the author is a known person, the collector can publish a book with the
quote collection, praise the author of the quotes, and utilize the income of
the book solely for his own purposes.

Regards, Eleonora

I would guess you are free to quote from another editor. (Though I
do not see the reason for creating such a page. In what way will
be such a page valuable?)
<<

Who can help me, if I want to know, if it is legal, that a wikipedia editor
prepares a collection of quotes, that  an other wikipedia editor wrote in
diverse articles, and puts this collection onto a wikipedia page? The quotes
are
exclusively from one wikipedia editor.

This is what the gdfl says:
4. modifications The author(s) and publisher(s) of the Document do not by
this
License give permission to use their names for publicity for or to assert or
imply endorsement of any Modified Version.

8. translation Translation is considered a kind of modification, so you may
distribute translations of the Document under the terms of section 4.

9. termination You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the
Document
except as expressly provided for under this License. Any other attempt to
copy,
modify, sublicense or distribute the Document is void, and will
automatically
terminate your rights under this License. However, parties who have received
copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses
terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.
<<
Re: legal question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:17:58 +0100, eleonora <eleonora46@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The collection of quotes can be used for example:
>
> - if the collector does not like the other editor, and knows his name, he can
> find out his employer, and write to his employer defaming the author of the
> quotes, for example.
>
> -The collector can publish the quotes in any medium with for example paired
> with a defaming description, hoping, that he hurts the author like that.

Several issues here:
* First, these might be allowed even for works without a license,
since taking a quote is typically a citation, and giving a 'judgement'
of the work is typically an area in which fair use rights are much
applicable.
* Second, in various European countries there might be a breaking here
of the 'moral rights' the author has, for example in the Netherlands
someone has the right to protest against any "deformation of the work
that would do damage to the good name of the maker or his honorability
as such" (not a literal translation)
* Third, I think that in fighting against this issue, defamation would
be a more applicable avenue than copyright

> - If the author is a known person, the collector can publish a book with the
> quote collection, praise the author of the quotes, and utilize the income of
> the book solely for his own purposes.

I don't see how this differs from taking a Wikipedia article,
publishing it, and utilizing the income solely for his own purposes,
which is allowed. The only thing is that the quoted part of the
GNU/FDL clearly says you may not imply the person you are quoting is
endorsing your publication.

Andre Engels
Re: legal question [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 08 January 2005 10:17, eleonora wrote:
> - if the collector does not like the other editor, and knows his name, he
> can find out his employer, and write to his employer defaming the author of
> the quotes, for example.

For these reasons I discourage interpersonal communication in my wikis and I
have set up mailing lists and a web forum, as well as a special web-based
collaboration platform with phpcollab. I suggest Wikipedia to do the same:
All talk pages should redirect to a phpbb thread.

--
NSK
The Wikinerds Community Federation of Science Wikis
Re: legal question [ In reply to ]
I suggest Wikinerds should use exactly the same policies as wikimedia
in all respects because obviously there could never be two sets of
different but equally good polices (note: the sarcasm). I also suggest
that you use words like 'we' in your suggestions , as, i am sure, it
will make your suggestions more likely to be considered by
wikimedians.

-rjs

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:06:21 +0200, NSK <nsk2@wikinerds.org> wrote:
> For these reasons I discourage interpersonal communication in my wikis and I
> have set up mailing lists and a web forum, as well as a special web-based
> collaboration platform with phpcollab. I suggest Wikipedia to do the same:
> All talk pages should redirect to a phpbb thread.
>
> --
> NSK
> The Wikinerds Community Federation of Science Wikis
> Owner of the Wikinerds Portal http://portal.wikinerds.org
> Owner of the NerdyPC IT Wiki http://www.nerdypc.org

--
hit me: robin.shannon.id.au
jab me: saudade@jabber.zim.net.au

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Recombo Plus License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/
Re: legal question [ In reply to ]
Robin Shannon wrote:

>I suggest Wikinerds should use exactly the same policies as wikimedia
>in all respects because obviously there could never be two sets of
>different but equally good polices (note: the sarcasm). I also suggest
>that you use words like 'we' in your suggestions , as, i am sure, it
>will make your suggestions more likely to be considered by
>wikimedians.

That depends on just what you are making policies about. The principles
of NPOV, respect for copyright and respect for each other are quite
fundamental and should apply across the board. Each project still needs
to apply them in a way consistent with its own circumstances. Naming
conventions are very much project dependent. The Esperanto Wikipedia
has chosen to put surnames in all capitals. Others have chosen not to
follow that convention, but such an argument should not be used to make
the Esperantists comply.

Ec
Re: legal question [ In reply to ]
RS> That depends on just what you are making policies about. The principles
RS> of NPOV, respect for copyright and respect for each other are quite
RS> fundamental and should apply across the board.

And this is one of the reasons why I'm opposed to Wikipeople - it will
certainly not maintain NPOV.

--
Ausir
Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia