Mailing List Archive

Fundraising Drive, January 2005
The fundraising drive for this quarter will be held later this month,
possibly to coincide with "Wikipedia Day" (January 21) as Daniel
proposed last month.

Before this launches, it would be nice to have some more responses to
the questions I put at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_drive and also additions of
any other fundraising ideas at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_ideas

The way the site notice is used could be improved before the next
drive. The message used was very bland and could be made more
motivational. This should be decided very soon to allow time for
translations to occur before the drive starts. Will it be possible to
have a real-time display of donations during the drive? Are any
developers willing to work on this before mid-January?

How the drive is going to be advertised besides the site notices needs
to be considered. Will it be possible to combine this with a press
release? Perhaps something about the fourth anniversary of Wikipedia?

We hope to have a system of membership set up by this date so that, as
well as making donations, people can become members of the Foundation,
and choose to make regular payments if they wish. Tim Starling is
currently working on creating the database we need for this, along
with membership options in the user preferences. The budget for this
quarter will also be created before the fundraising drive, with
details of proposed hardware purchases so donors know where their
money is going.

Improvements to the fundraising pages at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising are also welcome.
Comments can be made at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_site_feedback since the page
is not openly editable.

Angela.
Re: Fundraising Drive, January 2005 [ In reply to ]
I don't think it would be a good idea to have a fundraising drive so
close to the tsunami disaster (not likely to be successful or seen in
a good light due to the visibility of Wikipedia articles on it)

--
[[en:User:Dori]]
Re: Fundraising Drive, January 2005 [ In reply to ]
Angela-
> The fundraising drive for this quarter will be held later this month,
> possibly to coincide with "Wikipedia Day" (January 21) as Daniel
> proposed last month.

Wikipedia Day is January 15. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Day

Regards,

Erik
Re: Fundraising Drive, January 2005 [ In reply to ]
On 4 Jan 2005, at 05:14, Dori wrote:

> I don't think it would be a good idea to have a fundraising drive so
> close to the tsunami disaster (not likely to be successful or seen in
> a good light due to the visibility of Wikipedia articles on it)
>
> --
> [[en:User:Dori]]

<AOL> Seconded. </AOL>

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
www.ropersonline.com
Re: Fundraising Drive, January 2005 [ In reply to ]
Angela a écrit:
> The fundraising drive for this quarter will be held later this month,
> possibly to coincide with "Wikipedia Day" (January 21) as Daniel
> proposed last month.

In december, Mav and I discussed about it (on the mailing lists I think)
and we concluded that it would be best to wait early february for the
next fundraising drive, both for organisational reasons and because just
after Christmas, people are often left empty pockets.

The recent events also supports waiting.

I do think we have enough to wait till february, but Mav could tell us
more about this. I think he said he would be back this week.

Anthere
Re: Fundraising Drive, January 2005 [ In reply to ]
--- Dori <slowpoke@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it would be a good idea to have a fundraising drive so
> close to the tsunami disaster (not likely to be successful or seen in
> a good light due to the visibility of Wikipedia articles on it)

I'm inclined to agree and think we would have a more successful fund drive by
postponing it a couple weeks (early February).

We will likely need about $70K just for servers this quarter (last quarter we
budgeted for $50K and have about $20K left for that - with the developers keen
on using it ASAP). That figure does not include hosting and other expenses.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
Re: Re: Fundraising Drive, January 2005 [ In reply to ]
--- Anthere <anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I do think we have enough to wait till february, but Mav could tell us
> more about this. I think he said he would be back this week.

We have about $20K left over from last quarter's server fund. That would give
us one or two good server purchases. I have no idea how the other budget items
look (Terry needs to send me the bank statements).

-- mav