Mailing List Archive

Wikimania - Update
Hi,

After one conference is finished, we can now move to the preparations
for the next one. In Berlin we had a round of talks about the planning
of wikimania and I'll try to summarize here what is done and what needs
to be done the next weeks.

Before christmas, we did the reservation for the Haus der Jugend, 300
beds and most of their conference rooms from 4th to 8th August 2005.
Mark this date in red or '''bold''' in your calendar ;-)

Brion created a mailinglist for the planning of wikimania. I'd like to
invite everyone willing to help with the organisation to join:

For next week a meeting on IRC is planned - there was some confusion
about the date, so I propose the 12th or 14th January 20:00 UTC.
Comment on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania:Main_Page when you
have time. I'll fill the agenda during the next days.

At the 21C3 we had a brainstorming about planned sessions and which
speakers to invite. Sj has the informations on his notebook and will
start to work on it when he is back home.

For this, I encourage everyone to help drafting the call for papers and
when finished, translating it in as many languages as possible:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania:Call_for_papers

Ideas for speakers and panels are welcome on:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania:Speakers

On the 21C3 we also found someone willing to help us finding
interpreters for the conference so that we can make it truely multilingual.

There are several concurring banner versions on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania:Banner
Please comment on it - there should be only one official banner we later
spread.

Next steps are:
* budget plan (jimbo & elian)
* contacting potential sponsors and getting money (danny & jimbo)

Thanks to Patrick from german wikipedia, the German Library Association
will lend us their support. We are already in contact with some other
organisation, too.

Brion volunteered for programming the registration system. There are a
few points to discuss first and I encourage your input:
From the Haus der Jugend, we got a fixed price for all the beds
irregarding if double rooms or 8-bed rooms.
There are several questions: shall we just set up a fixed fee or rate
rooms in several categories?
I'd also like to know what you think about having fees for the
conference - although the final decision probably depends on our budget
plan and the sponsorship agreements. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the
conference makes some profit in the end - we can use the money for more
servers ;-)

I put some notes on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania:Register

The wikimania website will be probably best located at
wikimania.wikimedia.org (the domain wikimania.org is already taken and
I'm not sure if we need an extra domain for the conference)

Friends of mine from the CCC will help us with the network. Planning for
this started at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania:Network
The most pressing problem is still the last mile - the connection to the
Haus der Jugend. We tried to get a radio link but the leaders of the
Haus der Jugend don't seem to happy about this and it would need some
official permission. @akl: any news about this?

Last thing: in Berlin the idea came up for a next mediawiki developer
meeting, to do some hacking together in the days before or after the
conference. I just want to mention it here that we can include this in
the planning (we probably need to book a workshop room & some beds for
these days, too).

greetings,
elian