Mailing List Archive

What is the oldest Linux kernel supported by VNC?
Hello!
I have an interesting problem. I'm in the process of assembling an
embedded system for running something unique. The problem is that the
hardware for it was never tested with any Linux kernel past the
2.2.x.x series.

I've managed to get the programs behind 4-1-3 to build and install
there. And every time I start a session and then try to get a
connection to it via one of the clients I have of the same period I
get disconnected or it says connection refused. Now I freely admit it
might be a firewall sort of issue on the target, but I never bothered
to configure one.

The same clients do connect to my Solaris box here who's running
software from about the same time period.

Did anyone ever test 4-1-3 on any system running a 2.2.18 kernel? (The
system is running Slackware Linux, but any of the others will
suffice.)
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com

Re: What is the oldest Linux kernel supported by VNC? [ In reply to ]
AS far as I know, vnc on unix does not rely on any kernel stuff.
Depending on the configuration, the vnc functionallity can be hooked,
linked or build into the window manager software or the display manager
software.

In the beginning, there has always been the binary 'xvnc' which is a
display-server as such. It can be used roughly everywhere where a
hardware-connected X11 binary is used. It provides an X.11 server
without hardware connection. It does not give a remove view on the
console but it does give a complete graphical environment running on the
remote machine which you can access using your vncviewer application.

RE: What is the oldest Linux kernel supported by VNC? [ In reply to ]
How to install rpm on solaris sparc 64 bit?

Thanks and Regards,
Abhishek Salvi

AS far as I know, vnc on unix does not rely on any kernel stuff.
Depending on the configuration, the vnc functionallity can be hooked, linked or build into the window manager software or the display manager software.

In the beginning, there has always been the binary 'xvnc' which is a display-server as such. It can be used roughly everywhere where a hardware-connected X11 binary is used. It provides an X.11 server without hardware connection. It does not give a remove view on the console but it does give a complete graphical environment running on the remote machine which you can access using your vncviewer application.

On 22-9-2014 19:16, Gregg Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> I have an interesting problem. I'm in the process of assembling an
> embedded system for running something unique. The problem is that the
> hardware for it was never tested with any Linux kernel past the
> 2.2.x.x series.
>
> I've managed to get the programs behind 4-1-3 to build and install
> there. And every time I start a session and then try to get a
> connection to it via one of the clients I have of the same period I
> get disconnected or it says connection refused. Now I freely admit it
> might be a firewall sort of issue on the target, but I never bothered
> to configure one.
>
> The same clients do connect to my Solaris box here who's running
> software from about the same time period.
>
> Did anyone ever test 4-1-3 on any system running a 2.2.18 kernel? (The
> system is running Slackware Linux, but any of the others will
> suffice.)
> -----
> Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com
> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Disclaimer~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Information contained and transmitted by this e-mail is confidential and proprietary to IGATE and its affiliates and is intended for use only by the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and you are requested to delete this e-mail immediately and notify the originator or mailadmin@igate.com <mailto:mailadmin@igate.com>. IGATE does not enter into any agreement with any party by e-mail. Any views expressed by an individual do not necessarily reflect the view of IGATE. IGATE is not responsible for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of information provided, through this email. The contents of an attachment to this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While IGATE has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. To know more about IGATE please visit www.igate.com <http://www.igate.com>.
Re: What is the oldest Linux kernel supported by VNC? [ In reply to ]
Hello!
As it happens you don't. The RPM is for Linux. Which isn't on SPARC,
although there's a rarely used distribution for SPARC.

There's a PKG or similar file for the Solaris on SPARC, use that.
There should also be a Tar file in the same format. Or for that OS.

However depending on the release of Solaris, you should be able to
find a built release of VNC for SPARC that's included with the
collection of the OS. I did that for my system who's running the
release from 2005.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com

Re: What is the oldest Linux kernel supported by VNC? [ In reply to ]
Hello!
That makes better sense thanks. While waiting for the list, I had an
inspired guess last night and found the 3.3.7 release for Linux via
Google, and downloaded both the Tar file containing the easy
distribution method for everything there. And the source code one
there as well.

The interesting problem is that I still don't know why the ones for
4.1.3 which I built on the same system didn't connect to the client
here.

I still have other issues concerning what to do with this improbable
project but thank you Corne Beerse, next time you're visiting NYC I
owe you a meal at the best deli in NYC.
-----