One PC is Windows Vista and my computer is Windows 7. All I wanted to do is access my friend's laptop when he needed help but seems I am the one needing help.

I verified that his Viper Firewall allowed 5900 to pass as does my AVAST .

I tried both laptops at his house via his LAN and RealVNC worked perfectly but again neigher RealVNC Server can connect via the internet.
Re: Cannot get RealVNC server connected through port 5900 [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much for the prompt reply.
I was able to get my laptop to run RealVNC server this morning after going much deeper into Avast and manually allowing port 5900 for the Server connection.

I had a another friend successfully gain access to my laptop over his iPhone.

As my original problem will still exist on my other friend's laptop I am trying to connect to it seems I will have to learn how to properly set his Vipre Firewall like I did for Avast.

What clouded the issue, an I certainly would appreciate some enlightenment here, is CanYouSeeMe reported success over port 5900 but it was obvious my firewall (and I am sure my friend's firewall) was blocking that port for this application. I seem to be quite ignorant of why one application seems to get through but another does not.

Thanks again.