Mailing List Archive

read: connection reset by peer (10054)
I use to be able to VNC to my computer at work from home. It would first
ask for my viewer password and I would be golden.

It stopped working and when I start the viewer, It never asks for my
password, then after a few minutes...

read: connection reset by peer (10054)

I have found some hits on the Internet for this problem and from VNC users,
but never seen the solution.

I am guessing the wait is a timeout, but not sure why it is never asking to
validate the password. Changed the password on server and user without any
success.

Running VNC Free Edition 4.1.2

Any ideas?

Stephen J. Kozlowski
Project Leader - UNIX Administrator
CITSS
1121 Highway 74 South
Peachtree City, GA 30269

(770) 486-4161
skozlowski@citss.com
RE: read: connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen,

Are you sure that you're connecting to the RFB port for your VNC server, and
not to the HTTP port? What are you entering into the Server box in the
Connection Details dialog?

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.

RE: read: connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen,

The Connection Details dialog is the dialog that pops up when you run VNC
Viewer, into which you enter the server to which you wish to connect. What
are you entering into that?

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.

RE: read: connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Still unable to resolve. Anybody have any ideas on what I should be looking
at?

I still am stumped on why it no longer asks me for the VNC password I have
set.....

RE: read: connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen,

Re: read: Connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Anyone has solution of the following issue?

EDDIE

Eddie Chan <echan413@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi,

When I use my ReadVNC viewer (4.0 or 4.1) to connect to a RealVNC server (service mode), I got the following errors after a few second of connection.

read: Connection reset by peer (10054)

I checked the mail list and found some people have the same problem but I don't see how it was resolved. Did anyone has further solution?

Here are some other thing I have tried. When I connect with the web browser through port 5800 (http://myhost:5800), I have no problem stayed connected. I even checked and and found the ports on both viewer and server hosts "ESTABLISHED". It is just the problem using RealVNC viewer.

I have other machines all running WinXP (SP2) and I have no problem connecting using ReadlVNC viewer or using the web browser. It is just this particular machine can't stay connected with RealVNC viewer. I also observed that this only happens when I tried to access any application on the remote host. If I don't do anything after the connection (no mouse or keyboard action), the connection stay. But once I move my mouse or keyboard for few second, the connection dropped.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
EDDIE

Re: read: Connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
You attached image has been filtered out by the mailing-list. So no
idea what error message it is. Can't you type out the message?

Anyway, if something's not working suddenly, that's because
something has been changed. Try to remember what you have done to the
computers (both client and server).

FYI, the latest stable version in the version 3 family is 3.3.7.
Maybe it's time to update a bit?

RE: read: Connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I did upgrade the VNC Viewer on my computer
to VNC Viewer Free Edition v4.1.2 recently. I'll try your suggestion of
upgrading the
VNC Servers on the other computers.

Thank you,

Millie Kwan
Assistant Controller / Systems Manager
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria St., 12th floor
Toronto, ON M5C 3C4
tel: 416-867-9165
fax: 416-867-9246
millie@caea.com
www.caea.com

Millie Kwan wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am using the VNC Viewer Free Edition v4.1.2 on a Windows 2000 SP4
> computer.
>

> I used to be able to connect to a WinVNC Server v3.3.3 R9 on a Windows
> 2000 SP4 computer. I am now getting the following error message when
> attempting to connect:
>

> If I click "Yes", I keep getting the error message. If I click "No",
the
> error message disappears. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
>

> I am able to successfully connect to a VNC Server Free Edition v4.1.1
on
> a Windows 2000 SP4 computer.

The foregoing communication is intended only for the use of the individual or individuals named above and should not be read by or delivered to any other person. Such communication may contain information which is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. Any collection, use, disclosure, forwarding or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please accept our apology and immediately return the communication to the sender by electronic mail and destroy the message. See also Equity's Privacy Policy available at www.caea.com.
Re: read: Connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Millie Kwan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your response. I did upgrade the VNC Viewer on my computer
> to VNC Viewer Free Edition v4.1.2 recently. I'll try your suggestion of
> upgrading the
> VNC Servers on the other computers.

When did your connection problem begin? Before or after you've
started to use viewer of v4.1.2?

Well, normally, viewers are supposed to backward compatible to
servers, but who knows?
RE: read: Connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The problem began a couple of weeks after I started using Viewer v4.1.2.
I think the problem will be fixed after I upgrade the Servers to v4.1.2.

Re: read: Connection reset by peer (10054) [ In reply to ]
Or the other way round if upgrading the server to a newer version is
not feasible in a short period of time: use your old version of the
viewer to see if the problem is still there. If it isn't there, just
use the old version in the meanwhile.

PS: In case you don't know yet. There's nothing to install for the
viewer. It's just an executable. Run it and it works.