a more detailed error message?  Obviously, the failure to
start varnishd makes varnishlog useless, but maybe there is
another log file for such startup errors.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S. https://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2860 Søborg, Denmark. Direct +45 31 13 16 10
Re: CLI result = 300, how to troubleshoot? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 10:24 AM Jakob Bohm <jb-varnish@wisemo.com> wrote:

> Dear fellow users,
>
> I am running varnish-cache 7.2.1 (compiled from source) in
> preproduction.
> After some seemingly minor settings changes, every time I
> try to start varnishd, I get the following on the terminal:
>
> # /etc/init.d/varnish start
> Starting Varnish HTTP(S) proxy: varnishWarnings:
>
> Change will take effect when VCL script is reloaded
> Child launched OK
> CLI result = 300
> failed!
>
> Now the questions are what does this mean?, and how do I get
> a more detailed error message? Obviously, the failure to
> start varnishd makes varnishlog useless, but maybe there is
> another log file for such startup errors.

There may be something in your syslog, otherwise it is hard to tell
without knowing what the init script is up to.

Dridi
Re: CLI result = 300, how to troubleshoot? [ In reply to ]
--------
Dridi Boukelmoune writes:

> > Change will take effect when VCL script is reloaded
> > Child launched OK
> > CLI result = 300
> > failed!
> >
> > Now the questions are what does this mean?, and how do I get
> > a more detailed error message? Obviously, the failure to
> > start varnishd makes varnishlog useless, but maybe there is
> > another log file for such startup errors.
>
> There may be something in your syslog, otherwise it is hard to tell
> without knowing what the init script is up to.

CLI commands are logged to the shared memory log, so

varnishlog -d -g raw

may be able to tell you something

phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Re: CLI result = 300, how to troubleshoot? [ In reply to ]
On 2023-02-15 12:27, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> Dridi Boukelmoune writes:
>
>>> Change will take effect when VCL script is reloaded
>>> Child launched OK
>>> CLI result = 300
>>> failed!
>>>
>>> Now the questions are what does this mean?, and how do I get
>>> a more detailed error message? Obviously, the failure to
>>> start varnishd makes varnishlog useless, but maybe there is
>>> another log file for such startup errors.
>>
>> There may be something in your syslog, otherwise it is hard to tell
>> without knowing what the init script is up to.
>
> CLI commands are logged to the shared memory log, so
>
> varnishlog -d -g raw
>
> may be able to tell you something

Thanks for the tip. Invoking varnishd (not varnishlog) with the -d
option revealed the error: Varnish doesn't like binding to both a
specific IPv4 address (such as 192.0.2.3) and all remaining IPv4
addresses (0.0.0.0) on the same command line.

Not working
varnishd -a 192.0.2.3 -a 0.0.0.0 ...
Working
varnishd -a 0.0.0.0 ...