Mailing List Archive

varnish:6.0.11 Docker image crashing on Apple M1 processor
Hi,

We have a Docker image based on varnish:6.0.11.

A user on Apple M1 processor is reporting a crash:
https://github.com/AtomGraph/LinkedDataHub/issues/149

Error:
Message from VCC-compiler:
Assert error in vju_subproc(), mgt/mgt_jail_unix.c line 212:
Condition((initgroups(vju_user, vju_gid)) == 0) not true.
errno = 1 (Operation not permitted)
qemu: uncaught target signal 6 (Aborted) - core dumped
Running VCC-compiler failed, signal 6
VCL compilation failed

Do you provide images with linux/arm64/v8 support as well? Or what is
the course of action here?

Thanks.

Martynas
Re: varnish:6.0.11 Docker image crashing on Apple M1 processor [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'm not sure what is going in on here as we do have arm64v8 official
images:
https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/blob/master/library/varnish

Could it just be a permissions issue?

--
Guillaume Quintard

Re: varnish:6.0.11 Docker image crashing on Apple M1 processor [ In reply to ]
Hi Guillaume,

I reproduced the same error as well, running Terminal in Rosetta on MacOS.

Can it be a permissions issue if the same exact docker-compose setup
runs fine on Windows?

Here's our Dockerfile:
https://github.com/AtomGraph/varnish/blob/master/Dockerfile

Martynas

Re: varnish:6.0.11 Docker image crashing on Apple M1 processor [ In reply to ]
Hi Martynas,

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 9:00 PM Martynas Jusevi?ius
<martynas@atomgraph.com> wrote:

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> I reproduced the same error as well, running Terminal in Rosetta on MacOS.
>
> Can it be a permissions issue if the same exact docker-compose setup
> runs fine on Windows?

The problem with containers is the uncertainty regarding the host
operating system running them, so something working in a container on
a specific platform does not guarantee the container will run fine
everywhere.

> Here's our Dockerfile:
> https://github.com/AtomGraph/varnish/blob/master/Dockerfile

Try this:

ENTRYPOINT ["/usr/local/bin/docker-varnish-entrypoint", "-jnone"]

Arguably, the container system already applies the principle of least
privileges, so we don't know Varnish's jail feature. Who knows? Not
me.

Cheers,
Dridi