Mailing List Archive

Detect request coalescing?
Just a quick question that I wasn't able to find any information on using regular google searches. Is it possible to detect request coalescing somehow? Meaning that, when looking at the response headers, can I somehow see that the request had to wait for another request for the same resource to finish, before this request could return? Can I somehow detect that in VCL, and add a custom header with that information?

Regards
Re: Detect request coalescing? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 7:30 PM Batanun B <batanun@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just a quick question that I wasn't able to find any information on using regular google searches. Is it possible to detect request coalescing somehow? Meaning that, when looking at the response headers, can I somehow see that the request had to wait for another request for the same resource to finish, before this request could return? Can I somehow detect that in VCL, and add a custom header with that information?

Hi,

I don't think you can do that.

Dridi
Re: Detect request coalescing? [ In reply to ]
On 7/30/20 21:28, Batanun B wrote:
> Just a quick question that I wasn't able to find any information on
> using regular google searches. Is it possible to detect request
> coalescing somehow? Meaning that, when looking at the response headers,
> can I somehow see that the request had to wait for another request for
> the same resource to finish, before this request could return? Can I
> somehow detect that in VCL, and add a custom header with that information?

Client request logs will include Timestamp:WaitingList when that
happens. The timestamp isn't there if the request didn't have to wait,
and if it is, the timestamp tells you how long.

If your goal is to gather information about request coalescing, you cn
get it by scanning the log. If you need to know about it at runtime for
further request processing, then no I don't think there's anything for
that in VCL.

HTH,
Geoff
--
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstra?e 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917