are dynamically loaded are fetched from the backend server using ESI but
if there are multiple ESI calls on a page, the server response time and
hence, the page loading increases. This is because of the increase in
the number of calls to the backend server before Varnish serves the page
to the client.

Could you please let me know if there is a way to optimize the above?

Thanks,

Pinakee

Re: ESI slowing down page loading [ In reply to ]
Hello Pinakee,

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 8:16 AM Pinakee BIswas <pinakee@waltzz.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using varnish 4.1.8 and Django 1.11 for our application.
>
> We are using ESI to break down caching on a page. Part of pages which
> are dynamically loaded are fetched from the backend server using ESI but
> if there are multiple ESI calls on a page, the server response time and
> hence, the page loading increases. This is because of the increase in
> the number of calls to the backend server before Varnish serves the page
> to the client.
>
> Could you please let me know if there is a way to optimize the above?

Unfortunately there's little you can do to lower the latency on heavy
ESI misses or passes with Varnish Cache.

Varnish Plus on the other hand has parallel ESI that should bring down
latency to the longest fetch instead of all of them:

https://info.varnish-software.com/blog/varnish-lab-parallel-esi
https://info.varnish-software.com/blog/parallel-versus-serial-esi-processing-benchmarks

Dridi
Re: ESI slowing down page loading [ In reply to ]
Hi Dridi,

Thanks for your response and the details.

I did get the info on PESI from someone from the varnish plus team.

Would certainly look into it but being a young company, would have also
factor in the cost considering our web traffic.

Thanks,

Pinakee

Re: ESI slowing down page loading [ In reply to ]
Hi Pinakee,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:41 PM Pinakee BIswas <pinakee@waltzz.com> wrote:

> Hi Dridi,
>
> Thanks for your response and the details.
>
> I did get the info on PESI from someone from the varnish plus team.
>
> Would certainly look into it but being a young company, would have also
> factor in the cost considering our web traffic.

That's perfectly understandable. You can also try Varnish Plus cloud
images to give a try to pESI without a significant upfront investment,
and see at the very least whether that brings an improvement to your
case. I think it's available for the 4.1 series too.

By the way, I encourage you to update to the latest 4.1 release
(4.1.11 if my memory serves well) and plan an upgrade to 6.0 LTS
because 4.1 is going EOL soon for Varnish Cache (in case you missed
the announcement).

Cheers,
Dridi