Thanks,
Thomas

________________________________
RADIO / TELE FFH GmbH & Co. Betriebs-KG
FFH-Platz 1, 61111 Bad Vilbel
HRA - Nr. 26092 Frankfurt/Main
USt.IdNr. DE 112152620
Gesch?ftsf?hrer / Programmdirektor: Hans-Dieter Hillmoth
Re: How to install Varnish 6.0 on Ubuntu 17.10 or 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Winkelmann, Thomas (RADIO TELE FFH -
Online) <t.winkelmann@ffh.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to test http/2 of Varnish 6.0 on Ubuntu. So far I managed to install
> the varnish packages from package cloud as described here:
>
> https://packagecloud.io/varnishcache/varnish60/install#manual-deb
>
> Also varnish is starting but it is crashing as soon as I’m using my existing
> config. It will include the vsthrottle VMOD which seems not to be installed
> on the system.

Careful with words like "crashing", you'll skyrocket our blood pressure :)

> How can I get the Vmods for Ubuntu? I tried to download it from here
> https://github.com/varnish/varnish-modules but the compilation failed with
> thousands of errors.
>
> Is there any documentation?

We have yet to produce a release compatible with Varnish 6...

Do you see these errors when building from the master branch? If so,
and if you have a github account, please open an issue. If you don't
have a github account please share compilation errors from the master
branch.

Cheers
AW: How to install Varnish 6.0 on Ubuntu 17.10 or 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much for the response... I'm replacing "crashing" with "not starting" :) This is no surprise as it can not load the Vmod...

What are the dependencies for successfully building the vmods on Ubuntu 17.10? Is it only the "varnish-dev" package out of the packagecloud repository? Or do I need anything else?

Sorry for the questions, we are more webdevelopers than linux developers. Are there any plans to provide a varnish-modules package for 6.0?

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Winkelmann, Thomas (RADIO TELE FFH -
Online) <t.winkelmann@ffh.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to test http/2 of Varnish 6.0 on Ubuntu. So far I managed to
> install the varnish packages from package cloud as described here:
>
> https://packagecloud.io/varnishcache/varnish60/install#manual-deb
>
> Also varnish is starting but it is crashing as soon as I’m using my
> existing config. It will include the vsthrottle VMOD which seems not
> to be installed on the system.

Careful with words like "crashing", you'll skyrocket our blood pressure :)

> How can I get the Vmods for Ubuntu? I tried to download it from here
> https://github.com/varnish/varnish-modules but the compilation failed
> with thousands of errors.
>
> Is there any documentation?

We have yet to produce a release compatible with Varnish 6...

Do you see these errors when building from the master branch? If so, and if you have a github account, please open an issue. If you don't have a github account please share compilation errors from the master branch.

Cheers

RADIO / TELE FFH GmbH & Co. Betriebs-KG
FFH-Platz 1, 61111 Bad Vilbel
HRA - Nr. 26092 Frankfurt/Main
USt.IdNr. DE 112152620
Geschäftsführer / Programmdirektor: Hans-Dieter Hillmoth
Re: How to install Varnish 6.0 on Ubuntu 17.10 or 18.04 [ In reply to ]
> What are the dependencies for successfully building the vmods on Ubuntu 17.10? Is it only the "varnish-dev" package out of the packagecloud repository? Or do I need anything else?

I'm more a Fedora person myself so I may get the package names wrong,
but you need pkg-config, python >= 2.7 and python-docutils. When
building from git you also need the autotools (autoconf automake
libtool) that may be part of build-essential.

> Sorry for the questions, we are more webdevelopers than linux developers. Are there any plans to provide a varnish-modules package for 6.0?

We provide "dist" releases (autotools-independent source archives) and
we should get one soon. Regarding packages, we rely on downstream
distributors for this one.

Dridi