Mailing List Archive

Varnish after target property
Hello all,

I am writing you regarding the issue I experiencing after one of the latest
Red hat release.

Regarding the configuration file "/usr/lib/systemd/system/varnish.service"
varnish starts after network begin with start process :
"After=network.target"

This makes big troubles to the customer websites after reboot of systems.
Our network is taking bit longer to start(30sec) but varnish doesn't depend
on it as it needs only see network starting. So after network begin with
start(30sec) varnish also starts(5sec).
That makes varnish fail as it needs network up before starting itself.

For that should be used :
"After=network-online.target"

After using this correct property everything is okay after boot process -
varnish waits till network is up and then starts itself.

Unfortunately varnish update leads to rewrite this property back to old
one, what again made bit issue to us.

Is it possible to amend this property to "After=network-online.target" from
old one ?

I think it could be the proper setup for the service for future function
and would really help me and our customer.

As far as I know targets changed just few RHEL7 releases ago where online
property was included in service config files. Most of network dependent
services has changed this property as the release came out. Would be great
having varnish changed that too.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Stefan
Re: Varnish after target property [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM, Stefan Kmec <kmec.stf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I am writing you regarding the issue I experiencing after one of the latest
> Red hat release.
>
> Regarding the configuration file "/usr/lib/systemd/system/varnish.service"
> varnish starts after network begin with start process :
> "After=network.target"
>
> This makes big troubles to the customer websites after reboot of systems.
> Our network is taking bit longer to start(30sec) but varnish doesn't depend
> on it as it needs only see network starting. So after network begin with
> start(30sec) varnish also starts(5sec).
> That makes varnish fail as it needs network up before starting itself.
>
> For that should be used :
> "After=network-online.target"
>
> After using this correct property everything is okay after boot process -
> varnish waits till network is up and then starts itself.
>
> Unfortunately varnish update leads to rewrite this property back to old one,
> what again made bit issue to us.

That probably means that you edited the service file in /usr/lib which
is not how you should use systemd.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.unit.html#Unit%20File%20Load%20Path

> Is it possible to amend this property to "After=network-online.target" from
> old one ?

Yes, you can submit a pull request in the pkg-varnish-cache project on
github and we'll review that.

> I think it could be the proper setup for the service for future function and
> would really help me and our customer.
>
> As far as I know targets changed just few RHEL7 releases ago where online
> property was included in service config files. Most of network dependent
> services has changed this property as the release came out. Would be great
> having varnish changed that too.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.

Thanks a bunch for letting us know!

Dridi