Mailing List Archive

Can't create more than 494 threads
Hi,

I'm using Varnish since a couple of years and I'm very satisfied. Thank
you for the work!

Recently I setup a new server with Varnish 5.0. For some reasons,
threads_created is stuck at 494 and threads_failed increase every
second, even with no load (-s malloc,2G -p thread_pools=2 -p
thread_pool_min=250 -p thread_pool_max=2000 -p thread_pool_fail_delay=2).

MAIN.threads 494 . Total number of threads
MAIN.threads_limited 0 0.00 Threads hit max
MAIN.threads_created 494 0.01 Threads created
MAIN.threads_destroyed 0 0.00 Threads destroyed
MAIN.threads_failed 356 0.01 Thread creation failed

I tried now for a couple of days to fix this issue and I'm looking in
the area of a kernel param. But I'm completely stuck on what's causing it.

I would appreciate any help and pointing me into the right direction.

Best regards,
Jens

Re: Can't create more than 494 threads [ In reply to ]
dimesg might help. log files should indicate if you're in an 'open files
limit' issue...

I don't think varnishlog will will show the kind of errors you're looking
for here.

Re: Can't create more than 494 threads [ In reply to ]
On 01.06.2017 18:52, Jason Price wrote:
> dimesg might help. log files should indicate if you're in an 'open
> files limit' issue...

You pointed me in the right direction regarding log files. Thanks!

From syslog (only shown when starting varnish this error comes up, then
it's omitted):
kernel: [84513.627267] cgroup:
fork rejected by pids controller in /system.slice/varnish.service

Which led me to the solution to change systemd settings:
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7018594

This may also affect not only openSuSE distros in the future. Happy again!

Re: Can't create more than 494 threads [ In reply to ]
Good catch. Thanks for the details!

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 3:49 AM, info@dubistmeinheld.de <