Stopping Varnish Cache: [ OK ]
Starting Varnish Cache:
Debug: Platform: Linux,2.6.32-696.1.1.el6.x86_64,x86_64,-junix,-smalloc,-smalloc,-hcritbit
Debug: Child (18827) Started [ OK ]

Just curious. Can't remember seeing this with varnish-4.

--
Thanks
LF

Re: 5.1.2: debug code enabled by default? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Leon Fauster
<leonfauster@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm seeing some debug output while restarting varnish-5.1.2. Sure, such
> things are enabled while compiling but are there some debug code enabled
> by default that could reduce performance, especially for 5.1.2?
>
> # cd / ; env -i /sbin/service varnish restart

You don't need to cd and clear your environment according to the service manual:

> service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible,
> removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /.

> Stopping Varnish Cache: [ OK ]
> Starting Varnish Cache:
> Debug: Platform: Linux,2.6.32-696.1.1.el6.x86_64,x86_64,-junix,-smalloc,-smalloc,-hcritbit
> Debug: Child (18827) Started [ OK ]
>
> Just curious. Can't remember seeing this with varnish-4.

It could be a consequence of initialization work done on varnishd.
There were changes made after discussions about github issues 2141 and
2217, where we now have 3 distinct modes of execution for varnishd:

1) -C to compile VCLs
2) -x to emit docs
3) normal execution (including daemon)

It could be the case that those statements usually seen in debug and
foreground execution are now visible too in daemon execution.

Dridi

Re: 5.1.2: debug code enabled by default? [ In reply to ]
Am 18.04.2017 um 10:36 schrieb Dridi Boukelmoune <dridi@varni.sh>:

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Leon Fauster <leonfauster@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm seeing some debug output while restarting varnish-5.1.2. Sure, such
>> things are enabled while compiling but are there some debug code enabled
>> by default that could reduce performance, especially for 5.1.2?
>>
>> # cd / ; env -i /sbin/service varnish restart
>
> You don't need to cd and clear your environment according to the service manual:

yep, old behavior of executing init.d/scripts directly persists stubbornly :-)

>> Stopping Varnish Cache: [ OK ]
>> Starting Varnish Cache:
>> Debug: Platform: Linux,2.6.32-696.1.1.el6.x86_64,x86_64,-junix,-smalloc,-smalloc,-hcritbit
>> Debug: Child (18827) Started [ OK ]
>>
>> Just curious. Can't remember seeing this with varnish-4.
>
> It could be a consequence of initialization work done on varnishd.
> There were changes made after discussions about github issues 2141 and
> 2217, where we now have 3 distinct modes of execution for varnishd:
>
> 1) -C to compile VCLs
> 2) -x to emit docs
> 3) normal execution (including daemon)
>
> It could be the case that those statements usually seen in debug and
> foreground execution are now visible too in daemon execution.

thanks for the insights. I concluded that I have not to worry about that, right?

--
LF

Re: 5.1.2: debug code enabled by default? [ In reply to ]
> thanks for the insights. I concluded that I have not to worry about that, right?

Yes, no need to worry. I should have a look at that, but no hurry
since it's not harmful.

Dridi