requests that it processed, therefore it messes up my Web Statistics. I see
that I can use "varnishncsa" which will cause it log onto a file on the
local machine that Varnish is running on, however is there a cleaner way to
get my web statistics so that it's accurate, other than trying to pull logs
from both the backend server and the varnish server and combine them
together?

--

Devin Acosta
Re: Varnish HIT/MISS Web Statistics Question [ In reply to ]
Hi Devin,

The easiest method would be to use external analytics services for your
site(s), such as Google Analytics. However, if you do not wish to use
external services then I suggest using something like splitlogs, and having
both Apache and varnishncsa cache hits piped to it, which in return will
output all requests to your access logs as expected. If you're in a cPanel
environment, I wrote a script that runs as a daemon, and that does just
that - https://github.com/AndreiG6/vscp

Re: Varnish HIT/MISS Web Statistics Question [ In reply to ]
Hello Devin,

varnishncsa is able to return all the client requests it received (-c) as
well as all the backend requests it sent (-b), combining those to two would
give you the complete picture.

--
Guillaume Quintard

Re: Varnish HIT/MISS Web Statistics Question [ In reply to ]
Hey,

As Andrei said, you could use Google Analytics and it works fine.
I'm using this method for my own website.
I wrote an article about, but it's in french. I still share this link
https://tutoandco.colas-delmas.fr/software/varnish/statistiques-varnish-hit-vs-miss-google-analytics/

There the english version :
https://tutoandco.colas-delmas.fr/en/software-en/varnish-en/statistics-varnish-hit-vs-miss-google-analytics/
(it's a "private" page since the site is being translated)

*Nicolas Delmas*
http://tutoandco.colas-delmas.fr/ <colas.delmas@gmail.com>