/%postname%/ I don't really want to have to change all the permalinks.
Will Varnish still work ok for sites with custom Permalinks set at
/%postname%/ ?

The last part of Step 3 is to open a command prompt and run "ta2enmod
rewrite" as root. Mod_rewrite must already be enabled on my server so I
guess I can skip that step?

Hope someone can advise.

Myles
Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Will Varnish still work ok for sites with custom Permalinks set at
> /%postname%/ ?

Yes Varnish will still works with your custom Permalinks.

so I guess I can skip that step?

Indeed you don't need to run the step 3

You could find a more complete configuration of Varnish for Wordpress here
: https://github.com/colas31/varnish/blob/master/v4.1/wordpress.vcl it's
the one I use on my personal wordpress.

Best regards

*Nicolas Delmas*
http://tutoandco.colas-delmas.fr/ <colas.delmas@gmail.com>

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the confirmation. :-) Also, thanks for the link showing VCL
settings for Wordpress. One of my sites is using WooCommerce and it
looks like it's got that covered! I have a couple of other possible
items I think I'll need to exclude but need to check further.

Best wishes,

Myles

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
> Yes Varnish will still works with your custom Permalinks.
>
>> so I guess I can skip that step?
>
> Indeed you don't need to run the step 3

Hello,

There's a "Show on GitHub" link on all wiki pages, don't hesitate to
open an issue or even submit a pull request to help improve the docs.

https://github.com/varnish/varnish-wiki/blob/master/source/content/tutorials/wordpress/wp_step_by_step.rst

In this case, the wiki should probably suggest setting up permalinks
unless it's already the case. And the pattern should clearly appear as
a recommendation.

I will open an issue this time, but don't hesitate to participate to
the wiki on github.

Cheers

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
Ok Dridi, thanks.

Step 3 is a bit ambiguous in its present form. I'm guessing that
Wordpress default permalinks are not recommended in conjunction with
Varnish? If that's the case, maybe the instruction would be clearer
mentioning that and recommending to "change Permalinks to any valid
custom structure" ? Or something like that.

Best wishes,

Myles

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Magical Wonders
<myles@magicalwonders.com> wrote:
> Ok Dridi, thanks.
>
> Step 3 is a bit ambiguous in its present form. I'm guessing that Wordpress
> default permalinks are not recommended in conjunction with Varnish? If
> that's the case, maybe the instruction would be clearer mentioning that and
> recommending to "change Permalinks to any valid custom structure" ? Or
> something like that.

Hello,

Why don't you directly comment on the github issue? I'm not a
wordpress user myself, so you're probably in a better position to
explain what's confusing you.

https://github.com/varnish/varnish-wiki/issues/3

Cheers

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
Ok, I've added a comment now. I had to create a Github account and wait
for a confirmation email before I could post.

Myles :-)

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
I'm guessing that Wordpress default permalinks are not recommended in
> conjunction with Varnish? If that's the case, maybe the instruction would
> be clearer mentioning that and recommending to "change Permalinks to any
> valid custom structure" ? Or something like that.

The structure of URL doesn't impact Varnish. It doesn't care about it. For
exemple on the same serveur I host 3 Wordpress and all have a different
structure of link.
I read again the step 3. And they just suggest to use permalink instead of
this kind of link ?id_post=x . And you could use all kind of permalink :

- %category_name%/%article_name/
- %article_name%
- %date%/article_name%
- ...

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
The way it's been written though suggests it has to be the specific
custom structure mentioned. As it transpires the type of Permalinks used
in Wordpress have no actual impact on Varnish there's not that much
point in even referencing them? Unless I'm missing something?

Myles :-)

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
Of course, the type of Permalinks is important for SEO. I'm not enought
good in this domain to suggest one more than the other.

Re: Custom Permalinks Setting in Wordpress [ In reply to ]
Yes, they are relevant for SEO, and opinions from experts vary as to
which is the most effective. Yoast and many others suggest keeping it
simple by using /%postname%/. However, others argue against that and
suggest different structures! It's hard to know who is right sometimes!
:-) Personally I like to keep things simple, but I can see why other
structures may be more appropriate depending on the site involved. As
far as SEO goes, switching from the default settings to a custom
structure is definitely a good idea. :-)

Best wishes,

Myles