Mailing List Archive

Varnish5 / h2 Support
All,

just joined this list a couple of minutes ago. Saying that also to
acknowledge that varnish for me as a tool is being used since short
time. In general i am requesting for patience. Thanks.

I'm starting in whole. Basically directly with varnish5 and http/2.
Therefore some question to clarify my big picture.

How experimental is this h2 support (as stated in the docs)?
Should I deploy my prod system with varnish5 and h2 support enabled or not?

Is the h2 support limited to the browser2varnish interaction?
What about varnish2backendwebserver (the logs shows that some
requests reaches the last layer (webserver) as http/1.1 and a
few as http/2 mainly 404-requests -> its confusing)?

Sorry for the many questions.

As stated before I'm starting right now ...

Currently I have a setup like this

Browser -> TLSTerm -> Varnish5 -> ApacheWithH2/H2C

working. What kind of stresstest (tool) do you suggest (with h2 support)?

--
Thanks in advance!
LF

Re: Varnish5 / h2 Support [ In reply to ]
--------
In message <2FE9E296-BD63-490C-8CF3-0BE73FB22C42@googlemail.com>, Leon Fauster
writes:

>How experimental is this h2 support (as stated in the docs)?
>Should I deploy my prod system with varnish5 and h2 support enabled or not?

V5 is fine for production, H2 is not (yet).

V5.1 will be out in two weeks, and it will have better H2 support,
but exactly how good is too early to say yet.

>Is the h2 support limited to the browser2varnish interaction?

Yes, for now we are only implementing H2 on the client side.

phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

Re: Varnish5 / h2 Support [ In reply to ]
> Am 04.03.2017 um 20:24 schrieb Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>:
>
> In message <2FE9E296-BD63-490C-8CF3-0BE73FB22C42@googlemail.com>, Leon Fauster
> writes:
>
>> How experimental is this h2 support (as stated in the docs)?
>> Should I deploy my prod system with varnish5 and h2 support enabled or not?
>
> V5 is fine for production, H2 is not (yet).
>
> V5.1 will be out in two weeks, and it will have better H2 support,
> but exactly how good is too early to say yet.

thanks for the new 5.1.1 release. I got it packaged on
CentOS 6. The webstack with hitch and httpd24 is working
with h2.

Any suggestion to stress test this setup (specially h2),
next to h2load -c 100 -n 1000 https://server1/ and more
prod traffic ...?

Thanks,
LF