Mailing List Archive

varnish-test-1
I did some more troubleshooting on varnish-test-1 and came up blank.
None of the diagnostics utilities provide any meaningful information
(other than "disk in channel 2 slot 2 failed"). No matter how I move
the disks around, only the disks in slots 0 and 1 (on channel 1) work;
disks in the other four slots (on channel 2) spin up and go red. I
tried adding a second power supply (temporarily borrowed from
varnish-test-2, which has two but uses only one) on the off chance
that there simply wasn't enough power for four 15k disks, but that
made no difference.

I wiped the array and created a RAID 0 array with the two disks on
channel 0, so we can at least use the machine. I didn't take a backup
before wiping it, but I copied the password files and home directories
over from varnish-test-2 after reinstalling. Note that the SSH host
key has changed.

I'd be very interested in hearing from HP what they think the problem
is. I didn't much care for their "are you sure the server was
installed by competent personnel" attitude.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer