Mailing List Archive

Pid filename incorrect and -j not allowed with 4.1 and ubuntu
Hi,

I've just installed varnish 4.1 on a ubuntu trusty server and noticed two
issues with the deb package.

The first is that the pidfile points to /run/.pid. I've found out that this
filename is generated in /etc/init.d/varnish:

PIDFILE=/run/$NAME.pid

$NAME does not seem to be defined.

The second issue is when I want to use the -j argument. I should be able to
configure this in /etc/default/varnish in the DAEMON_OPTS variable. But
when I start the daemon, it fails with the following message:

* Starting HTTP accelerator varnish
...fail!
Error: -j must be the first argument

When I put the -j argument as the first argument in the DAEMON_OPTS, it
still fails. This is because in /etc/init.d/varnish "-P ${PIDFILE}" comes
before "${DAEMON_OPTS}"

Cheers,
Bert Hekman
Re: Pid filename incorrect and -j not allowed with 4.1 and ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I figured out where I could make a pull request to to fix my issues on
github.

It seems that the first issue with the pidfile was already noticed by
someone else and they've made a pull request here:
https://github.com/varnishcache/pkg-varnish-cache/pull/16

I've made a pull request which fixes my second issue with the argument
order:
https://github.com/varnishcache/pkg-varnish-cache/pull/19

If they could be looked at, that would be sweet :)

Cheers,
Bert Hekman