Mailing List Archive

VMOD versioning guidelines
Hi all.

I've written up a guideline or recommendation on how to do versioning on
Varnish vmods.

It can be found on:

https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/VMOD_versioning_guidelines

The problem it looks to solve is how we signal which Varnish version and
VRT ABI a distributed vmod package works with. Currently this is a bit
of a mess.

Digest:

libvmod-foo-VMODVER[+GITBRANCH].tar.gz
libvmod-foo-1.1.tar.gz (vmod-foo has a single branch called master)
libvmod-foo-1.14+4.0.tar.gz (vmod-foo's 4.0 branch, standalone.)
libvmod-foo-1.15+v4.0-plus.tar.gz
vmod-foo-1.14+4.0-1.x86_64.rpm
vmod-foo-1.14+4.0-1.deb

The work mostly comes out from the vmod workshop earlier this fall with
Stig, Ingvar, Kristian and me.

Now that this is in place (or at least a first version up for
discussion) we can start releasing vmod source packages that is easily
built by third party packagers.

--
Lasse Karstensen
Varnish Software AS