Mailing List Archive

Upgrading trac from 1.2.2 to 1.4
I'm trying to upgrade a local trac system on Windows (using tracd) to
1.4 from 1.2.2. I've upgraded the plugins as much as possible.
Everything seemed to go relatively smoothly.

I ran pip install --upgrade Trac. This seems to work properly.
Displaying "pip list" shows the trac version as 1.4.3.

I ran trac-admin <tracfolder> upgrade. Everything seems fine.

I ran trac-admin <tracfolder> wiki upgrade. Wiki files seem to be
updated properly.

I then restarted the trac service.

However, the main page now displays:

*Warning:*

* Error with navigation contributor "AdminModule"
* Error with navigation contributor "SearchModule"
* Error with navigation contributor "RoadmapModule"
* Error with navigation contributor "QueryModule"
* Error with navigation contributor "ReportModule"
* Error with navigation contributor "TicketModule"
* Error with navigation contributor "TimelineModule"
* Error with navigation contributor "WikiModule"

Configuration Error

Cannot find implementation(s) of the|IPermissionPolicy|interface
named|DefaultTicketPolicy|,|DefaultWikiPolicy|. Please check that the
Component is enabled or update the option|[trac] permission_policies|in
trac.ini.

In addition the "Powered by Trac" version still shows 1.2.2, which I
think may be the crux of the problem. However, I can't see why.

Python version is 2.7. It is the only version installed.

I turned on INFO logging and the log also shows that it is starting
version 1.2.2. The traceback is odd in that it shows a path to .py files
located in a folder that does not exist. For example:

File "c:\users\<unknownuser>\appdata\local\temp\easy_install-jdu2wl\Trac-1.2.2-py2.7-win-amd64.egg.tmp\trac\env.py", line 942, in open_environment
    needs_upgrade = env.needs_upgrade()

where <unknownuser> is similar to an actual user folder, but different.
Regardless, the mentioned egg or py file can't be found anywhere as near
I can tell.

If I restore the original trac folder (copied before upgrade),
everything is happy again, but, of course in version 1.2.2.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

Thanks,

-- Bill

Re: Upgrading trac from 1.2.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
I figured it out. It was the script loading tracd that specifically
required trac version 1.2.2. I'm not sure why it needs that. Perhaps it
doesn't. I updated the version in the script and now it seems to load as
expected. I may have a couple more questions as I make sure nothing is
missing, but for now it seems OK.

Re: Upgrading trac from 1.2.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 3:51:32 PM UTC-5 Bill Buklis wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade a local trac system on Windows (using tracd) to 1.4
> from 1.2.2. I've upgraded the plugins as much as possible. Everything
> seemed to go relatively smoothly.
>
> I ran pip install --upgrade Trac. This seems to work properly. Displaying
> "pip list" shows the trac version as 1.4.3.
>
> I ran trac-admin <tracfolder> upgrade. Everything seems fine.
>
> I ran trac-admin <tracfolder> wiki upgrade. Wiki files seem to be updated
> properly.
>
> I then restarted the trac service.
>
> However, the main page now displays:
> *Warning:*
>
> - Error with navigation contributor "AdminModule"
> - Error with navigation contributor "SearchModule"
> - Error with navigation contributor "RoadmapModule"
> - Error with navigation contributor "QueryModule"
> - Error with navigation contributor "ReportModule"
> - Error with navigation contributor "TicketModule"
> - Error with navigation contributor "TimelineModule"
> - Error with navigation contributor "WikiModule"
>
> Configuration Error
>
> Cannot find implementation(s) of the IPermissionPolicy interface named
> DefaultTicketPolicy, DefaultWikiPolicy. Please check that the Component
> is enabled or update the option [trac] permission_policies in trac.ini.
>

> In addition the "Powered by Trac" version still shows 1.2.2, which I think
> may be the crux of the problem. However, I can't see why.
>
> Python version is 2.7. It is the only version installed.
>
> I turned on INFO logging and the log also shows that it is starting
> version 1.2.2. The traceback is odd in that it shows a path to .py files
> located in a folder that does not exist. For example:
>
> File "c:\users\<unknownuser>\appdata\local\temp\easy_install-jdu2wl\Trac-1.2.2-py2.7-win-amd64.egg.tmp\trac\env.py", line 942, in open_environment
> needs_upgrade = env.needs_upgrade()
>
> where <unknownuser> is similar to an actual user folder, but different.
> Regardless, the mentioned egg or py file can't be found anywhere as near I
> can tell.
>
> Was the server still running? It appears the code may have loaded to
memory.

Re: Upgrading trac from 1.2.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 4:43:09 PM UTC-5 Bill Buklis wrote:

> I figured it out. It was the script loading tracd that specifically
> required trac version 1.2.2. I'm not sure why it needs that. Perhaps it
> doesn't. I updated the version in the script and now it seems to load as
> expected. I may have a couple more questions as I make sure nothing is
> missing, but for now it seems OK.

What is the name and contents of the script loading tracd? Something you or
the previous admin wrote?

Missing this step is often the cause of trouble:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade#a6.Refreshstaticresources

Re: Upgrading trac from 1.2.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
I have not tried installing Trac on Windows. I use Trac on Linux RHEL7 -
but turn SELinux policy to disabled. Instead of using "tracd" we use Apache
httpd. It has been years since we upgraded to version 1.4. You might get
some insights reviewing the Trac Upgrade page:

https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/1.5/TracUpgrade#to1.4

About your screen footer: Some of the older web pages are not overwritten -
therefore you probably see powered by 1.2.2. I am in the process of
prototyping an install of 1.5.x on RHEL9 // bypassing RHEL8.
Good Luck!
Steven J. Hathaway

Re: Upgrading trac from 1.2.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
Yesterday, I did an update and the problem fixed itself in Fedora 37. Just
to be sure, I did a complete upgrade from Fedora 36 and it went cleanly.
So. some package under DNF was updated and problem solved.