all that have subscribed to Tickets in their notifications would get
e-mails when appropriate.

I have updated to Trac 1.5dev, and I get this when e-mail should be sent:

2022-09-12 10:05:29,561 Trac[mail] DEBUG: Invalid email address: @Tickets
2022-09-12 10:05:29,561 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (roger [1]) for
'always' on rule (TicketUpdaterSubscriber) for (email)

The first line is the issue. The second implies that I will still be
added to the list of recipients. However, no e-mail is sent. How best
to proceed?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: e-mail notifications in Trac 1.5dev [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:11 AM Roger Oberholtzer
<roger.oberholtzer@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Trac 1.2, say, I could define an e-mail tag called @Tickets, and
> all that have subscribed to Tickets in their notifications would get
> e-mails when appropriate.
>
> I have updated to Trac 1.5dev, and I get this when e-mail should be sent:
>
> 2022-09-12 10:05:29,561 Trac[mail] DEBUG: Invalid email address: @Tickets
> 2022-09-12 10:05:29,561 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (roger [1]) for
> 'always' on rule (TicketUpdaterSubscriber) for (email)
>

> The first line is the issue. The second implies that I will still be
> added to the list of recipients. However, no e-mail is sent. How best
> to proceed?

I see that this was set up in the announcer plugin as follows:

[announcer]
joinable_groups = Tickets

But that seems not to be Python3 ready.

2022-09-12 12:02:56,771 Trac[loader] ERROR: Skipping
"announcer.distributors.mail = announcer.distributors.mail":
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Queue'
2022-09-12 12:02:56,814 Trac[loader] ERROR: Skipping
"announcer.email_decorators = announcer.email_decorators":
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Queue'
2022-09-12 12:02:56,968 Trac[loader] ERROR: Skipping "announcer.pref =
announcer.pref": ImportError: cannot import name
'ITemplateStreamFilter' from 'trac.web.api'
(/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/web/api.py)

I will see what I can do.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: e-mail notifications in Trac 1.5dev [ In reply to ]
Hi,
Just FYI Trac ~1.2+ has a lot of the Announcer plugin functionality
integrated in core, and provides its own "new" extension interfaces.
Joinable groups were prepared here:
https://trac.edgewall.org/changeset/ad2174686247456fb9b6ec3cd97506b863828ca8/psuter.hg/
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/11870
but never finalized. Nobody seemed really interested in this feature.
This is the first time I see it mentioned by anyone.

The Announcer plugin could also provide these optional features based on
the core interfaces, but nobody seems to have been interested in doing
this so far:
https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/12120

I'm not sure what the overall goal is with "@Tickets", that is not
already solved by subscribing to tickets in the default notification
preferences.
https://trac.edgewall.org/prefs/notification
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracNotification#SubscriberConfiguration

Peter

Re: Re: e-mail notifications in Trac 1.5dev [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 1:43 PM Peter Suter <petsuter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Just FYI Trac ~1.2+ has a lot of the Announcer plugin functionality
> integrated in core, and provides its own "new" extension interfaces.
> Joinable groups were prepared here:
> https://trac.edgewall.org/changeset/ad2174686247456fb9b6ec3cd97506b863828ca8/psuter.hg/
> https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/11870
> but never finalized. Nobody seemed really interested in this feature.
> This is the first time I see it mentioned by anyone.
>
> The Announcer plugin could also provide these optional features based on
> the core interfaces, but nobody seems to have been interested in doing
> this so far:
> https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/12120
>
> I'm not sure what the overall goal is with "@Tickets", that is not
> already solved by subscribing to tickets in the default notification
> preferences.
> https://trac.edgewall.org/prefs/notification
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracNotification#SubscriberConfiguration
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
> On 12 Sep 2022 12:13, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:11 AM Roger Oberholtzer
> > <roger.oberholtzer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> In Trac 1.2, say, I could define an e-mail tag called @Tickets, and
> >> all that have subscribed to Tickets in their notifications would get
> >> e-mails when appropriate.
> >>
> >> I have updated to Trac 1.5dev, and I get this when e-mail should be sent:
> >>
> >> 2022-09-12 10:05:29,561 Trac[mail] DEBUG: Invalid email address: @Tickets
> >> 2022-09-12 10:05:29,561 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (roger [1]) for
> >> 'always' on rule (TicketUpdaterSubscriber) for (email)
> >>

> >> The first line is the issue. The second implies that I will still be
> >> added to the list of recipients. However, no e-mail is sent. How best
> >> to proceed?
> > I see that this was set up in the announcer plugin as follows:
> >
> > [announcer]
> > joinable_groups = Tickets
> >
> > But that seems not to be Python3 ready.
> >
> > 2022-09-12 12:02:56,771 Trac[loader] ERROR: Skipping
> > "announcer.distributors.mail = announcer.distributors.mail":
> > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Queue'
> > 2022-09-12 12:02:56,814 Trac[loader] ERROR: Skipping
> > "announcer.email_decorators = announcer.email_decorators":
> > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Queue'
> > 2022-09-12 12:02:56,968 Trac[loader] ERROR: Skipping "announcer.pref =
> > announcer.pref": ImportError: cannot import name
> > 'ITemplateStreamFilter' from 'trac.web.api'
> > (/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/web/api.py)
> >

> > I will see what I can do.

I have removed using the Announcer plugin. I will try to get the
notifications working in just Trac and see where that gets me.

I have removed the @Tickets group from the Cc field. So the tickets I
am testing this with are rather straight forward. No Cc at all.

When I change a ticket, for example, I see this in the log (DEBUG level):

Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (roger [1]) for 'always' on rule
(TicketOwnerSubscriber) for (email)
Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (ssma [1]) for 'always' on rule
(TicketPreviousUpdatersSubscriber) for (email)

That looks reasonable. These users should get a notification.

However, nothing happens. I have this configuration, which looks
reasonable to me.

[notification]
admit_domains =
always_notify_owner = true
always_notify_reporter = true
always_notify_updater = true
email_sender = SmtpEmailSender
ignore_domains =
mime_encoding = base64
smtp_default_domain =
smtp_enabled = enabled
smtp_from = trac@systems.rst.ramboll.se
smtp_from_author = disabled
smtp_from_name = Do Not Reply
smtp_replyto = trac@localhost
smtp_server = smtp.somewherel.com
ticket_subject_template = ${prefix} #${ticket.id}: ${summary}
use_public_cc = enabled
use_short_addr = disabled
use_tls = disabled

[notification-subscriber]
always_notify_cc = CarbonCopySubscriber
always_notify_new_ticket = NewTicketSubscriber
always_notify_owner = TicketOwnerSubscriber
always_notify_previous_updater = TicketPreviousUpdatersSubscriber
always_notify_reporter = TicketReporterSubscriber
always_notify_updater = TicketUpdaterSubscriber

The SMTP server is the same one I used with Trac 1.2 (last version I
was using). As trac opens the SMPT port directly, I would not expect
any messages in the system log. And that is the case.

As nothing else is reported, I can't guess why the mail was not sent.

Having said that, in my Trac Preferences->Notifications, it just says
"Subscriptions" in bold text. And a "Save changes" button. But there
is no way to actually see or do anything. Perhaps I am missing
something here so the message is not sent? Or perhaps the Announcer
plugin has left something in my user info in Trac that is confusing
things? The plugin is disabled. But maybe more needs to be done?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: e-mail notifications in Trac 1.5dev [ In reply to ]
On 20 Sep 2022 14:41, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> [...]
> always_notify_owner = TicketOwnerSubscriber
> always_notify_previous_updater = TicketPreviousUpdatersSubscriber
> always_notify_reporter = TicketReporterSubscriber
> always_notify_updater = TicketUpdaterSubscriber
>

> The SMTP server is the same one I used with Trac 1.2 (last version I
> was using). As trac opens the SMPT port directly, I would not expect
> any messages in the system log. And that is the case.
>
> As nothing else is reported, I can't guess why the mail was not sent.
>
> Having said that, in my Trac Preferences->Notifications, it just says
> "Subscriptions" in bold text. And a "Save changes" button. But there
> is no way to actually see or do anything. Perhaps I am missing
> something here so the message is not sent? Or perhaps the Announcer
> plugin has left something in my user info in Trac that is confusing
> things? The plugin is disabled. But maybe more needs to be done?

What components are enabled/disabled?
Are the EmailDistributorand TicketFormattercomponents enabled?
What are the next lines in the log after those "Adding" lines?
Is there a line containing "has found the following formats"?

Re: Re: e-mail notifications in Trac 1.5dev [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 6:45 PM Peter Suter <petsuter@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> always_notify_reporter = TicketReporterSubscriber
> always_notify_updater = TicketUpdaterSubscriber
>

> The SMTP server is the same one I used with Trac 1.2 (last version I
> was using). As trac opens the SMPT port directly, I would not expect
> any messages in the system log. And that is the case.
>
> As nothing else is reported, I can't guess why the mail was not sent.
>
> Having said that, in my Trac Preferences->Notifications, it just says
> "Subscriptions" in bold text. And a "Save changes" button. But there
> is no way to actually see or do anything. Perhaps I am missing
> something here so the message is not sent? Or perhaps the Announcer
> plugin has left something in my user info in Trac that is confusing
> things? The plugin is disabled. But maybe more needs to be done?
>
> What components are enabled/disabled?
> Are the EmailDistributor and TicketFormatter components enabled?

None of those are enabled. I see that NewTicketSubscriber is enabled.
Otherwise I cannot see anything that works in this realm.

> What are the next lines in the log after those "Adding" lines?

There are lots of lines about DefaultTicketPolicy since I have to
enable DEBUG level to see anything in the log. I have rights to do
everything, so all checks say allowed. So I will skip those. The lines
after that (skipping DefaultTicketPolicy) are:

2022-09-21 09:44:27,164 Trac[main] DEBUG: Dispatching
<RequestWithSession "POST '/ticket/1337'">
2022-09-21 09:44:27,165 Trac[main] DEBUG: Chosen handler is <Component
trac.ticket.web_ui.TicketModule>
2022-09-21 09:44:27,165 Trac[api] INFO: Synchronized '(default)'
repository in 0.00 seconds
2022-09-21 09:44:27,166 Trac[session] DEBUG: Retrieving session for ID 'roger'
2022-09-21 09:44:27,171 Trac[main] DEBUG: Negotiated locale: en-US -> en_US
2022-09-21 09:44:27,183 Trac[api] DEBUG: Trying to render HTML preview
using PygmentsRenderer [no annotations]
2022-09-21 09:44:27,566 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (roger [1]) for
'always' on rule (TicketOwnerSubscriber) for (email)
2022-09-21 09:44:27,567 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (ssma [1]) for
'always' on rule (TicketPreviousUpdatersSubscriber) for (email)
2022-09-21 09:44:27,567 Trac[web_ui] DEBUG: Side effect for
ConfigurableTicketWorkflow
2022-09-21 09:44:27,617 Trac[main] DEBUG: Dispatching
<RequestWithSession "GET '/ticket/1337'">
2022-09-21 09:44:27,617 Trac[main] DEBUG: Chosen handler is <Component
trac.ticket.web_ui.TicketModule>
2022-09-21 09:44:27,618 Trac[api] INFO: Synchronized '(default)'
repository in 0.00 seconds
2022-09-21 09:44:27,619 Trac[session] DEBUG: Retrieving session for ID 'roger'
2022-09-21 09:44:27,628 Trac[main] DEBUG: Negotiated locale: en-US -> en_US

> Is there a line containing "has found the following formats"?

Nope. Nowhere in the log file at all.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: e-mail notifications in Trac 1.5dev [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 6:45 PM Peter Suter <petsuter@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Are the EmailDistributor and TicketFormatter components enabled?

At first I read this as that these were things to add and enable. I
missed that they were Trac components.

Well, this is embarrassing. It seems that when I disabled the
Announcer plugin, I failed to enable EmailDistributor in Trac. Now I
see this in the log:

2022-09-21 11:12:38,135 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (roger [1]) for
'always' on rule (TicketOwnerSubscriber) for (email)
2022-09-21 11:12:38,136 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (ssma [1]) for
'always' on rule (TicketPreviousUpdatersSubscriber) for (email)
2022-09-21 11:12:38,136 Trac[mail] DEBUG: EmailDistributor has found
the following formats capable of handling 'email' of 'ticket':
text/plain
2022-09-21 11:12:38,136 Trac[mail] DEBUG: EmailDistributor format
text/html not available for email ticket
2022-09-21 11:12:38,206 Trac[mail] DEBUG: EmailDistributor is sending
event as 'text/plain' to: ssma@somewhere.com
2022-09-21 11:12:38,213 Trac[mail] INFO: Sending notification through
SMTP at smtp.somewhere.com:25 to ['ssma@somewhere.com']

Anyway, e-mail notifications are working. False alarm.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: e-mail notifications in Trac 1.5dev [ In reply to ]
On 21 Sep 2022 16:07, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 6:45 PM Peter Suter <petsuter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Are the EmailDistributor and TicketFormatter components enabled?
> At first I read this as that these were things to add and enable. I
> missed that they were Trac components.
>
> Well, this is embarrassing. It seems that when I disabled the
> Announcer plugin, I failed to enable EmailDistributor in Trac. Now I
> see this in the log:
>
> 2022-09-21 11:12:38,135 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (roger [1]) for
> 'always' on rule (TicketOwnerSubscriber) for (email)
> 2022-09-21 11:12:38,136 Trac[api] DEBUG: Adding (ssma [1]) for
> 'always' on rule (TicketPreviousUpdatersSubscriber) for (email)
> 2022-09-21 11:12:38,136 Trac[mail] DEBUG: EmailDistributor has found
> the following formats capable of handling 'email' of 'ticket':
> text/plain
> 2022-09-21 11:12:38,136 Trac[mail] DEBUG: EmailDistributor format
> text/html not available for email ticket
> 2022-09-21 11:12:38,206 Trac[mail] DEBUG: EmailDistributor is sending
> event as 'text/plain' to: ssma@somewhere.com
> 2022-09-21 11:12:38,213 Trac[mail] INFO: Sending notification through
> SMTP at smtp.somewhere.com:25 to ['ssma@somewhere.com']
>
> Anyway, e-mail notifications are working. False alarm.
>
> --
> Roger Oberholtzer

Right, I assume those are usually enabled by default, but I don't
remember if new components get enabled when upgrading.
Maybe you could add a hint to
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracNotification#Troubleshooting
I guess maybe a check could somehow be added to Trac to log a warning
when a notification is not sent because no distributor is available.