the current state?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 3:20:53 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I have held off upgrading Trac to use Python 3. But as my Linux distro
> (openSUSE) has pretty much dropped all Python < 3 support (the core
> release is still available - but very few additional packages), I
> really need to look to moving Trac to something that works with Python
> > 3.
>
> According to the following link, this release is still unstable and
> not to be used in a production environment:
>
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#LatestDevRelease
>
> Is that still an accurate assessment of the release? Mine is a
> production release. I do use plugins. I will be checking which I
> really use and which were installed for exploration. But if one limits
> oneself to the core Trac 1.5 release, what's the popular opinion of
> the current state?

Hi Roger,

That statement is generally true, but the 1.5.x releases are pretty stable
by now and I'm hoping to find time to push the release soon. So the final
release will have few changes relative to the current 1.5.x.

Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
And for the record, the following plugins work well with the latest
development release (v1.5.4 at present):
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/1.6

-- figaro

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 7:59 AM figaro <stijn.bouwhuis@gmail.com> wrote:

> And for the record, the following plugins work well with the latest development release (v1.5.4 at present):
> https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/1.6

Thanks for that pointer. I am guessing some that I use might be a part
of Trac now. I will start investigating.

I guess I will set up a copy somewhere and see what I see.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
I'm getting pressure from our IT guys about the software on our Trac
server being a bit old. I decided to freeze it because the OS
maintainers (openSUSE) were aggressively removing Pytthon2 stuff. I
did not want to chance that anything went away or otherwise stopped
working. At some point I need to start updates again. That's my local
issue.

I am trying to decide the best approach to take here. If I could
identify the Python packages that are used directly by Trac, perhaps I
could just maintain those on this system, and let the rest get updated
as needed. I know that the Python packages needed depends on what I
have enabled. And what additional things I have added. But does anyone
know the Python packages required by Trac itself? Other than the core
Python release itself.

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 1:50:22 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I'm getting pressure from our IT guys about the software on our Trac
> server being a bit old. I decided to freeze it because the OS
> maintainers (openSUSE) were aggressively removing Pytthon2 stuff. I
> did not want to chance that anything went away or otherwise stopped
> working. At some point I need to start updates again. That's my local
> issue.
>
> I am trying to decide the best approach to take here. If I could
> identify the Python packages that are used directly by Trac, perhaps I
> could just maintain those on this system, and let the rest get updated
> as needed. I know that the Python packages needed depends on what I
> have enabled. And what additional things I have added. But does anyone
> know the Python packages required by Trac itself? Other than the core
> Python release itself.

Are you running Trac 1.4.x?

The dependencies are listed on the TracInstall page.
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall#MandatoryDependencies

The /about page is also useful for viewing the dependencies.

Ryan

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 11:10 PM RjOllos <rjollos@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 1:50:22 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting pressure from our IT guys about the software on our Trac
>> server being a bit old. I decided to freeze it because the OS
>> maintainers (openSUSE) were aggressively removing Pytthon2 stuff. I
>> did not want to chance that anything went away or otherwise stopped
>> working. At some point I need to start updates again. That's my local
>> issue.
>>
>> I am trying to decide the best approach to take here. If I could
>> identify the Python packages that are used directly by Trac, perhaps I
>> could just maintain those on this system, and let the rest get updated
>> as needed. I know that the Python packages needed depends on what I
>> have enabled. And what additional things I have added. But does anyone
>> know the Python packages required by Trac itself? Other than the core
>> Python release itself.
>

> Are you running Trac 1.4.x?

1.2.3.

> The dependencies are listed on the TracInstall page.
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall#MandatoryDependencies

Ok. I knew about that, but I forgot. It was what I was looking for.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, August 16, 2022 at 12:00:21 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 11:10 PM RjOllos <rjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 1:50:22 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm getting pressure from our IT guys about the software on our Trac
> >> server being a bit old. I decided to freeze it because the OS
> >> maintainers (openSUSE) were aggressively removing Pytthon2 stuff. I
> >> did not want to chance that anything went away or otherwise stopped
> >> working. At some point I need to start updates again. That's my local
> >> issue.
> >>
> >> I am trying to decide the best approach to take here. If I could
> >> identify the Python packages that are used directly by Trac, perhaps I
> >> could just maintain those on this system, and let the rest get updated
> >> as needed. I know that the Python packages needed depends on what I
> >> have enabled. And what additional things I have added. But does anyone
> >> know the Python packages required by Trac itself? Other than the core
> >> Python release itself.
> >

> > Are you running Trac 1.4.x?
>
> 1.2.3.
>
> > The dependencies are listed on the TracInstall page.
> > https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall#MandatoryDependencies
>
> Ok. I knew about that, but I forgot. It was what I was looking for.

For 1.2, see:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/1.2/TracInstall

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 2:26 AM RjOllos <rjollos@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 16, 2022 at 12:00:21 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

>> > Are you running Trac 1.4.x?
>>
>> 1.2.3.
>>
>> > The dependencies are listed on the TracInstall page.
>> > https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall#MandatoryDependencies
>>
>> Ok. I knew about that, but I forgot. It was what I was looking for.
>

> For 1.2, see:
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/1.2/TracInstall

I have decided to try Trac 1.5 as the system on which this runs was
forced to move to Python3. Or, one can say that Python2 is difficult
to use on this system.

Anyway, when I tried to install Trac 1.5x with this command:

pip install https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz

I get this:

---%<----

Collecting https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
Downloading https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz (5.4 MB)
???????????????????????????????????????? 5.4/5.4 MB 705.8 kB/s eta 0:00:00
Preparing metadata (setup.py) ... error
error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× python setup.py egg_info did not run successfully.
? exit code: 1
??> [8 lines of output]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
File "<pip-setuptools-caller>", line 34, in <module>
File "/tmp/pip-req-build-h350rf4p/setup.py", line 32, in <module>
from trac.dist import get_l10n_trac_cmdclass
File "/tmp/pip-req-build-h350rf4p/trac/dist.py", line 30, in <module>
from jinja2.ext import babel_extract as jinja2_extractor
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'jinja2'
[end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a
problem with pip.
error: metadata-generation-failed

× Encountered error while generating package metadata.
??> See above for output.

note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
hint: See above for details.

---%<----

I think Jinja should be installed as part of this. But something
cannot be found.

I'm using Python 3.10 for all this as it is the current default on my
openSUSE Tumbleweed Linux system.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately, with Trac version 1.5, you have to download the Trac code,
make some modifications, and then install it.

This task can be easily done by someone familiar with Python, but I think
there are parts that are difficult for ordinary users to do.

I installed Trac 1.5 on Python 3.7 (as mentioned before, after making some
code modifications). However, I am aware that many packages that Trac
depends on do not yet support Python 3.10.

We recommend using a version of Python less than 3.10 if possible.
------------------------------------
There is a future society, but my future is not what others do.
Dept. of Information Science, Graduate School, Korea National Open
University

2022? 9? 7? (?) ?? 9:50, Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@gmail.com>??
??:

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 5:50:40 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I have decided to try Trac 1.5 as the system on which this runs was
> forced to move to Python3. Or, one can say that Python2 is difficult
> to use on this system.
>
> Anyway, when I tried to install Trac 1.5x with this command:
>
> pip install https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
>
> I get this:
>
> ---%<----
>
> Collecting https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
> Downloading https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
> (5.4 MB)
> ???????????????????????????????????????? 5.4/5.4 MB 705.8 kB/s eta 0:00:00
> Preparing metadata (setup.py) ... error
> error: subprocess-exited-with-error
>
> × python setup.py egg_info did not run successfully.
> ? exit code: 1
> ??> [8 lines of output]
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
> File "<pip-setuptools-caller>", line 34, in <module>
> File "/tmp/pip-req-build-h350rf4p/setup.py", line 32, in <module>
> from trac.dist import get_l10n_trac_cmdclass
> File "/tmp/pip-req-build-h350rf4p/trac/dist.py", line 30, in <module>
> from jinja2.ext import babel_extract as jinja2_extractor
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'jinja2'
> [end of output]
>
> note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a
> problem with pip.
> error: metadata-generation-failed
>
> × Encountered error while generating package metadata.
> ??> See above for output.
>
> note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
> hint: See above for details.
>
> ---%<----
>
> I think Jinja should be installed as part of this. But something
> cannot be found.
>
> I'm using Python 3.10 for all this as it is the current default on my
> openSUSE Tumbleweed Linux system.
>
> --
> Roger Oberholtzer

I can't reproduce in a virtualenv on macOS. Maybe try upgrading your pip.
What version are you using?

07:50 $ pip list
Package Version
---------- -------
pip 22.2.1
setuptools 63.2.0

[notice] A new release of pip available: 22.2.1 -> 22.2.2
[notice] To update, run: python3.10 -m pip install --upgrade pip
? ~/Documents/Workspace/trac-dev/teo-rjollos.git [trunk ?·1|? 2]
07:50 $ pip install
https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
Collecting https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
Using cached https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
(5.4 MB)
Preparing metadata (setup.py) ... done
Requirement already satisfied: setuptools>=30.3 in
/Users/rjollos/.pyenv/versions/3.10.6/envs/verasonics/lib/python3.10/site-packages
(from Trac==1.5.3) (63.2.0)
Collecting jinja2>=2.9.3
Using cached Jinja2-3.1.2-py3-none-any.whl (133 kB)
Collecting MarkupSafe>=2.0
Using cached MarkupSafe-2.1.1-cp310-cp310-macosx_10_9_x86_64.whl (13 kB)
Using legacy 'setup.py install' for Trac, since package 'wheel' is not
installed.
Installing collected packages: MarkupSafe, jinja2, Trac
Running setup.py install for Trac ... done
Successfully installed MarkupSafe-2.1.1 Trac-1.5.3 jinja2-3.1.2

[notice] A new release of pip available: 22.2.1 -> 22.2.2
[notice] To update, run: python3.10 -m pip install --upgrade pip
? ~/Documents/Workspace/trac-dev/teo-rjollos.git [trunk ?·1|? 2]
07:50 $ pip --version
pip 22.2.1 from
/Users/rjollos/.pyenv/versions/3.10.6/envs/verasonics/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip
(python 3.10)
? ~/Documents/Workspace/trac-dev/teo-rjollos.git [trunk ?·1|? 2]
07:50 $ python --version
Python 3.10.6

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 7:48:38 AM UTC-7 sea...@gmail.com wrote:

> Unfortunately, with Trac version 1.5, you have to download the Trac code,
> make some modifications, and then install it.

What modifications did you make?

We haven't had any issues reported. If you are experiencing problems please
report them and we will work through them.

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
Hello RjOllos,

Please download the file from the link below in the previous email to
complete the installation.

Install pip https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz

But the file in the link above gives an error when initializing the trac
project.

ImportError: Could not import name 'Markup' from 'jinja2'
(/home/jiho/Envs/trac-latest-dev/lib/python3.9/site-packages/jinja2/__init__.py)

However, based on your reply, I downloaded the trunk from SVN and confirmed
that the installation and trac initialization were successfully completed
and serviced.

Thank you for your hard work in developing Trac.
------------------------------------

2022? 9? 7? (?) ?? 11:53, RjOllos <rjollos@gmail.com>?? ??:

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
Hello Roger Oberholtzer

Try installing Trac by creating a Python virtual environment.

However, please check out the Trac source code directly from SVN, not from
a link you know.
------------------------------------

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 9:50 PM Roger Oberholtzer
<roger.oberholtzer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have decided to try Trac 1.5 as the system on which this runs was
> forced to move to Python3. Or, one can say that Python2 is difficult
> to use on this system.
>
> Anyway, when I tried to install Trac 1.5x with this command:
>
> pip install https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
>
> I get this:
>
> ---%<----
>
> Collecting https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
> Downloading https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz (5.4 MB)
> ???????????????????????????????????????? 5.4/5.4 MB 705.8 kB/s eta 0:00:00
> Preparing metadata (setup.py) ... error
> error: subprocess-exited-with-error
>
> × python setup.py egg_info did not run successfully.
> ? exit code: 1
> ??> [8 lines of output]
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
> File "<pip-setuptools-caller>", line 34, in <module>
> File "/tmp/pip-req-build-h350rf4p/setup.py", line 32, in <module>
> from trac.dist import get_l10n_trac_cmdclass
> File "/tmp/pip-req-build-h350rf4p/trac/dist.py", line 30, in <module>
> from jinja2.ext import babel_extract as jinja2_extractor
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'jinja2'
> [end of output]
>
> note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a
> problem with pip.
> error: metadata-generation-failed
>
> × Encountered error while generating package metadata.
> ??> See above for output.
>
> note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
> hint: See above for details.
>
> ---%<----
>
> I think Jinja should be installed as part of this. But something
> cannot be found.
>
> I'm using Python 3.10 for all this as it is the current default on my
> openSUSE Tumbleweed Linux system.

The issue is reproduced when installing Trac after Babel is installed.
Also, the same issue is raised even when installing trunk.

Could you please file the issue via trac.edgewall.org/newticket if possible?

$ /dev/shm/venv-py310/bin/pip install Babel
$ /dev/shm/venv-py310/bin/pip install
https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
Collecting https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
Using cached https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz
(5.4 MB)
Preparing metadata (setup.py) ... error
error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× python setup.py egg_info did not run successfully.
? exit code: 1
??> [8 lines of output]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
File "<pip-setuptools-caller>", line 34, in <module>
File "/tmp/pip-req-build-h5htw5m0/setup.py", line 32, in <module>
from trac.dist import get_l10n_trac_cmdclass
File "/tmp/pip-req-build-h5htw5m0/trac/dist.py", line 30, in <module>
from jinja2.ext import babel_extract as jinja2_extractor
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'jinja2'
[end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a
problem with pip.
error: metadata-generation-failed

× Encountered error while generating package metadata.
??> See above for output.

note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
hint: See above for details.

$ /dev/shm/venv-py310/bin/pip install
svn+https://svn.edgewall.org/repos/trac/trunk
Collecting svn+https://svn.edgewall.org/repos/trac/trunk
Checking out https://svn.edgewall.org/repos/trac/trunk to
/tmp/pip-req-build-yeed2fad
Running command svn checkout --quiet --force-interactive
https://svn.edgewall.org/repos/trac/trunk /tmp/pip-req-build-yeed2fad
Preparing metadata (setup.py) ... error
error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× python setup.py egg_info did not run successfully.
? exit code: 1
??> [8 lines of output]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
File "<pip-setuptools-caller>", line 34, in <module>
File "/tmp/pip-req-build-yeed2fad/setup.py", line 32, in <module>
from trac.dist import get_l10n_trac_cmdclass
File "/tmp/pip-req-build-yeed2fad/trac/dist.py", line 31, in <module>
import jinja2

Jun Omae <jun66j5@gmail.com> (?? ?)

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 2:25 AM Jun Omae <jun66j5@gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue is reproduced when installing Trac after Babel is installed.
> Also, the same issue is raised even when installing trunk.
>
> Could you please file the issue via trac.edgewall.org/newticket if possible?

Sorry, I misunderstood it.

https://download.edgewall.org/trac/Trac-latest-dev.tar.gz is unable to install
with Jinja2 3+. The issue has been fixed in trunk, but the tarball is uploaded
on 2021 and doesn't include the fix.

When installing from source, it is needed to install Jinja2 (and Babel if i18n
is needed) before the installation.

--
Jun Omae <jun66j5@gmail.com> (?? ?)

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
Updating pip to 22.2.2 did not make a difference.

Perhaps I should check it out via svn. What's the proper command to
get the best version of 1.5?

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 4:52 PM RjOllos <rjollos@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Collecting jinja2>=2.9.3
> Using cached Jinja2-3.1.2-py3-none-any.whl (133 kB)
> Collecting MarkupSafe>=2.0
> Using cached MarkupSafe-2.1.1-cp310-cp310-macosx_10_9_x86_64.whl (13 kB)
> Using legacy 'setup.py install' for Trac, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
> Installing collected packages: MarkupSafe, jinja2, Trac
> Running setup.py install for Trac ... done
> Successfully installed MarkupSafe-2.1.1 Trac-1.5.3 jinja2-3.1.2
>
> [notice] A new release of pip available: 22.2.1 -> 22.2.2
> [notice] To update, run: python3.10 -m pip install --upgrade pip
> ? ~/Documents/Workspace/trac-dev/teo-rjollos.git [trunk ?·1|? 2]
> 07:50 $ pip --version
> pip 22.2.1 from /Users/rjollos/.pyenv/versions/3.10.6/envs/verasonics/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip (python 3.10)
> ? ~/Documents/Workspace/trac-dev/teo-rjollos.git [trunk ?·1|? 2]

Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
I checked out the latest with svn, and tried to install it. Similar error:

# svn co https://svn.edgewall.org/repos/trac/trunk trac
# cd trac
# python3 setup.py install

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/root/trac/trac/setup.py", line 32, in <module>
from trac.dist import get_l10n_trac_cmdclass
File "/root/trac/trac/trac/dist.py", line 31, in <module>
import jinja2

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
I can add that if I install jinja2 by hand, then trac installs. It
just seems that the trac install does not manage this.

Now to see if I can get my site back up in this newfangled trac.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 9:02 AM Roger Oberholtzer

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
I have trac 1.5 (svn co) running in Python3. There was confusion my
end because the mod_python for my distro uses Python 2.7 (it seems not
to be maintained by the distro - it is an old installable). I needed
to move to mod_wsgi. That took a couple minutes to figure out.

It looks as I expected in that I have not added the various plugins we
have used. This will also be a purge in that I will only put back the
ones we see we are actually using.

The only issue I have so far is that admin/general/plugin and about
are not accessible. I get error 500 from Apache.

From the trac log:

2022-09-08 12:15:09,469 Trac[main] ERROR: [127.0.0.1] Internal Server
Error: <RequestWithSession "GET '/about'">, referrer None
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/web/main.py",
line 610, in dispatch_request
dispatcher.dispatch(req)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/web/main.py",
line 302, in dispatch
raise e
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/web/main.py",
line 248, in dispatch
resp = chosen_handler.process_request(req)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/about.py",
line 71, in process_request
data['plugins'] = get_plugin_info(self.env)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/loader.py",
line 155, in get_plugin_info
module = sys.modules[component.__module__]
KeyError: 'ASCIIMath'

2022-09-08 12:00:32,992 Trac[main] ERROR: [10.2.10.41] Internal Server
Error: <RequestWithSession "GET '/admin/general/plugin'">, referrer
'http://10.2.10.40/systems/admin/general/basics'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/web/main.py",
line 610, in dispatch_request
dispatcher.dispatch(req)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/web/main.py",
line 302, in dispatch
raise e
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/web/main.py",
line 248, in dispatch
resp = chosen_handler.process_request(req)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/admin/web_ui.py",
line 104, in process_request
resp = provider.render_admin_panel(req, cat_id, panel_id, path_info)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/admin/web_ui.py",
line 490, in render_admin_panel
return self._render_view(req)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/admin/web_ui.py",
line 596, in _render_view
plugins = get_plugin_info(self.env, include_core=True)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/loader.py",
line 155, in get_plugin_info
module = sys.modules[component.__module__]
KeyError: 'ASCIIMath'

It looks like the same issue for both. I see there is an ASCIIMath
plugin for Trac. But it is just the .py file. Where should this go?

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 9:08 AM Roger Oberholtzer

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
I see that I have ASCIIMath.py in a plugins directory for my site. So
that must be where Trac 1.2 looked for these things. In that there is
a __pycache__ directory. I see that it contains a newly compiled .pyc
file. The name is a bit different from the .py file:

ASCIIMath.cpython-310.pyc

I would imagine it is compiled because Trac accessed it. So I then
have no idea what the error might be.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 12:54 PM Roger Oberholtzer

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
More info on ASCIIMath from the trac log:

2022-09-08 14:45:08,892 Trac[loader] ERROR: Failed to load plugin from
/vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/loader.py",
line 105, in _load_py_files
imp.load_source(plugin_name, plugin_file)
File "/usr/lib64/python3.10/imp.py", line 172, in load_source
module = _load(spec)
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 719, in _load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 688, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 883, in exec_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
File "/vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py", line 342, in <module>
Symbol(input="alpha", el=El("mi", u"\u03B1"))
File "/vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py", line 80, in El
if isinstance(text, basestring):
NameError: name 'basestring' is not defined

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 1:02 PM Roger Oberholtzer

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 11:57:01 PM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer
wrote:

> Updating pip to 22.2.2 did not make a difference.
>
> Perhaps I should check it out via svn. What's the proper command to
> get the best version of 1.5?

I added the pip command here:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#Tractrunk

Make sure to use the "svn+" prefix.

I'm swamped lately but hope to find time to release 1.6 soon.

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 5:56:12 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> More info on ASCIIMath from the trac log:
>
> 2022-09-08 14:45:08,892 Trac[loader] ERROR: Failed to load plugin from
> /vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File
> "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/loader.py",
>
> line 105, in _load_py_files
> imp.load_source(plugin_name, plugin_file)
> File "/usr/lib64/python3.10/imp.py", line 172, in load_source
> module = _load(spec)
> File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 719, in _load
> File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 688, in _load_unlocked
> File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 883, in exec_module
> File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 241, in
> _call_with_frames_removed
> File "/vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py", line 342, in <module>
> Symbol(input="alpha", el=El("mi", u"\u03B1"))
> File "/vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py", line 80, in El
> if isinstance(text, basestring):
> NameError: name 'basestring' is not defined

You'll need to remove that plugin from /vol1/trac/systems/plugins since
it's not yet Py3 compatible.

Re: Re: Trac and Python 3-+ [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 12:40 AM RjOllos <rjollos@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 5:56:12 AM UTC-7 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>>
>> More info on ASCIIMath from the trac log:
>>
>> 2022-09-08 14:45:08,892 Trac[loader] ERROR: Failed to load plugin from
>> /vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/Trac-1.5.4.dev0-py3.10.egg/trac/loader.py",
>> line 105, in _load_py_files
>> imp.load_source(plugin_name, plugin_file)
>> File "/usr/lib64/python3.10/imp.py", line 172, in load_source
>> module = _load(spec)
>> File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 719, in _load
>> File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 688, in _load_unlocked
>> File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 883, in exec_module
>> File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
>> File "/vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py", line 342, in <module>
>> Symbol(input="alpha", el=El("mi", u"\u03B1"))
>> File "/vol1/trac/systems/plugins/ASCIIMath.py", line 80, in El
>> if isinstance(text, basestring):
>> NameError: name 'basestring' is not defined
>

> You'll need to remove that plugin from /vol1/trac/systems/plugins since it's not yet Py3 compatible.

OK. I will also check that the plugins I am using in python 3 are
listed as working on trac hacks. Is there a preferred place to
check/add that information?

--
Roger Oberholtzer