Mailing List Archive

Sendmail hang
I just installed Trac 1.5 on Ubuntu 20.04 under Apache and with
PostgreSQL 12 and it all seems to work fine except email notification.

I have a Django app running on the same server and email notification
(ie., Forgotten password) works well for that.

I'm using exactly the same credentials, user, port number and smtp
server for Trac as for the Django app.

When I reply to a ticket (ticket #1 btw) as a test Trac never returns.
There is no crash and nothing reported in the Apache log nor syslog.

Here is my [notification] settings in trac.ini

[notification]
admit_domains =
ambiguous_char_width = single
batch_subject_template = ${prefix} Batch modify: ${tickets_descr}
default_format.email = text/plain
email_address_resolvers = SessionEmailResolver
email_sender = SmtpEmailSender
ignore_domains =
message_id_hash = md5
mime_encoding = none
sendmail_path = sendmail
smtp_always_bcc = miked@xxx.com
smtp_always_cc =
smtp_default_domain =
smtp_enabled = enabled
smtp_from = system@xxx.com
smtp_from_author = disabled
smtp_from_name =
smtp_password = xxx
smtp_port = 465
smtp_replyto = support@xxx.com
smtp_server = smtp.xxx.com.au
smtp_subject_prefix = __default__
smtp_user = system@xxx.com
ticket_subject_template = ${prefix} #${ticket.id}: ${summary}
use_public_cc = enabled
use_short_addr = disabled
use_tls = enabled

xxx is just obfuscation - happy to reveal it privately if necessary.

Where do you think I'm going wrong?

Any hints appreciated

Thanks

Mike

--
Signed email is an absolute defence against phishing. This email has
been signed with my private key. If you import my public key you can

Re: Sendmail hang [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 4:14 PM Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:

> I just installed Trac 1.5 on Ubuntu 20.04 under Apache and with
> PostgreSQL 12 and it all seems to work fine except email notification.
>
> I have a Django app running on the same server and email notification
> (ie., Forgotten password) works well for that.
>
> I'm using exactly the same credentials, user, port number and smtp
> server for Trac as for the Django app.
>
> When I reply to a ticket (ticket #1 btw) as a test Trac never returns.
> There is no crash and nothing reported in the Apache log nor syslog.
>
> Here is my [notification] settings in trac.ini
>
> [notification]
> admit_domains =
> ambiguous_char_width = single
> batch_subject_template = ${prefix} Batch modify: ${tickets_descr}
> default_format.email = text/plain
> email_address_resolvers = SessionEmailResolver
> email_sender = SmtpEmailSender
> ignore_domains =
> message_id_hash = md5
> mime_encoding = none
> sendmail_path = sendmail
> smtp_always_bcc = miked@xxx.com
> smtp_always_cc =
> smtp_default_domain =
> smtp_enabled = enabled
> smtp_from = system@xxx.com
> smtp_from_author = disabled
> smtp_from_name =
> smtp_password = xxx
> smtp_port = 465
> smtp_replyto = support@xxx.com
> smtp_server = smtp.xxx.com.au
> smtp_subject_prefix = __default__
> smtp_user = system@xxx.com
> ticket_subject_template = ${prefix} #${ticket.id}: ${summary}
> use_public_cc = enabled
> use_short_addr = disabled
> use_tls = enabled
>
> xxx is just obfuscation - happy to reveal it privately if necessary.
>
> Where do you think I'm going wrong?
>
> Any hints appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

First, I suggest to check $ENV/log/trac.log after enabling trac logging [1].

Trac doesn't currently support SMTPS. The [notification] use_tls
option is for STARTTLS.
Try to use SMTP port (25, 587, ...) rather than SMTPS port (465).

[1] https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracLogging

--
Jun Omae <jun66j5@gmail.com> (?? ?)

Re: Sendmail hang [ In reply to ]
On 6/06/2022 8:44 am, Jun Omae wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 4:14 PM Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
>> I just installed Trac 1.5 on Ubuntu 20.04 under Apache and with
>> PostgreSQL 12 and it all seems to work fine except email notification.
>>
>> I have a Django app running on the same server and email notification
>> (ie., Forgotten password) works well for that.
>>
>> I'm using exactly the same credentials, user, port number and smtp
>> server for Trac as for the Django app.
>>
>> When I reply to a ticket (ticket #1 btw) as a test Trac never returns.
>> There is no crash and nothing reported in the Apache log nor syslog.
>>
>> Here is my [notification] settings in trac.ini
>>
>> [notification]
>> admit_domains =
>> ambiguous_char_width = single
>> batch_subject_template = ${prefix} Batch modify: ${tickets_descr}
>> default_format.email = text/plain
>> email_address_resolvers = SessionEmailResolver
>> email_sender = SmtpEmailSender
>> ignore_domains =
>> message_id_hash = md5
>> mime_encoding = none
>> sendmail_path = sendmail
>> smtp_always_bcc = miked@xxx.com
>> smtp_always_cc =
>> smtp_default_domain =
>> smtp_enabled = enabled
>> smtp_from = system@xxx.com
>> smtp_from_author = disabled
>> smtp_from_name =
>> smtp_password = xxx
>> smtp_port = 465
>> smtp_replyto = support@xxx.com
>> smtp_server = smtp.xxx.com.au
>> smtp_subject_prefix = __default__
>> smtp_user = system@xxx.com
>> ticket_subject_template = ${prefix} #${ticket.id}: ${summary}
>> use_public_cc = enabled
>> use_short_addr = disabled
>> use_tls = enabled
>>
>> xxx is just obfuscation - happy to reveal it privately if necessary.
>>
>> Where do you think I'm going wrong?
>>
>> Any hints appreciated
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike
> First, I suggest to check $ENV/log/trac.log after enabling trac logging [1].

Logging showed I had not set the base_url - which I have now fixed.

> Trac doesn't currently support SMTPS. The [notification] use_tls
> option is for STARTTLS.
> Try to use SMTP port (25, 587, ...) rather than SMTPS port (465).

Port 25 worked and so my Trac is now functional on Python3

Many thanks Jun Omae

Cheers

Mike