Mailing List Archive

Trac 1.4.2 Hotcopy -> TracError: Unsupported database type "postgres"
Hi,

I'm running Trac 1.4.2 and I'm about to move it to a different server.
I'm using Postgresql as my DB.

When I try to create a backup as described here
<https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracBackup> with the command
trac-admin /path/to/my/project hotcopy /path/to/backup/dir

I get this error message:

Error: Unable to check for upgrade of trac.db.api.DatabaseManager:
TracError: Unsupported database type "postgres"

The docco doesn't give any indication that this shouldn't work with
Postgresql.

I gather from googling that I can use the --no-database flag to stop it
backing up the DB and then use pg_dump or similar to backup the DB, but
shouldn't the hotcopy command work?

TIA,

Rob Hills
Waikiki, Western Australia

Re: Trac 1.4.2 Hotcopy -> TracError: Unsupported database type "postgres" [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 12:30 PM Rob Hills <rcp.hills@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Trac 1.4.2 and I'm about to move it to a different server.
> I'm using Postgresql as my DB.
>
> When I try to create a backup as described here
> <https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracBackup> with the command
> trac-admin /path/to/my/project hotcopy /path/to/backup/dir
>
> I get this error message:
>
> Error: Unable to check for upgrade of trac.db.api.DatabaseManager:
> TracError: Unsupported database type "postgres"
>
> The docco doesn't give any indication that this shouldn't work with
> Postgresql.
>
> I gather from googling that I can use the --no-database flag to stop it
> backing up the DB and then use pg_dump or similar to backup the DB, but
> shouldn't the hotcopy command work?
>
> TIA,
>
> Rob Hills
> Waikiki, Western Australia

trac-admin isn't finding the psycopg2 library. Running the following may
provide some clues:

$ pip list
$ which trac-admin

Then look for, is the "trac-admin" associated with the same Trac
installation that is running with the webserver?

Ryan

Re: Trac 1.4.2 Hotcopy -> TracError: Unsupported database type "postgres" [ In reply to ]
Many thanks Ryan. It has been a while since I installed trac on this
particular server and I'd forgotten the virtualenv configuration I'd used
for it. There were of course two trac-admins and I wasn't running the one
inside the virtualenv. Now all sorted.

Cheers,

Rob Hills
Waikiki, Western Australia