Mailing List Archive

Disabling cache in the PlantUml plugin?
Hi

I don't know if I should go straight ahead an open an enhancement ticket
for the following.
I did have a look at the source code already, and as far as I can tell the
functionality is not already there in the plugin in question.
But I may be wrong, so I thought I'd better check here first.

We're making good use of the
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/PlantUmlMacro
in our Trac (1.2.6) environment.

The plugin is making use of a cache for the generated diagrams.
This however does not work too well when actually one wants certain
diagrams to always be regenerated on request.

E.g. a Gantt diagram is written to indicate "today"'s date. Using the
cache, this date is always the date of the cached version.
I assume there may be other such dynamic elements in other types of
PlantUML diagrams.

Also we wanted to use the macro to show diagrams located in source
repositories.
Again, if we commit new versions into the source repository, Trac still
just shows the cached version.

As mentioned I had a look at the source, my Python and Trac development
skills are at a minimum unfortunately.
It seems that there is no (easy) way to disable the caching mechanism right?

Thanks for any feedback on this, let me know if I should simply open an
enhancement ticket.

And in general thanks to all of you participating in maintaining and
developing Trac.

Best regards
Tom

Re: Disabling cache in the PlantUml plugin? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 3:18:52 AM UTC-7 Tom wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don't know if I should go straight ahead an open an enhancement ticket
> for the following.
> I did have a look at the source code already, and as far as I can tell the
> functionality is not already there in the plugin in question.
> But I may be wrong, so I thought I'd better check here first.
>
> We're making good use of the
> https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/PlantUmlMacro
> in our Trac (1.2.6) environment.
>
> The plugin is making use of a cache for the generated diagrams.
> This however does not work too well when actually one wants certain
> diagrams to always be regenerated on request.
>
> E.g. a Gantt diagram is written to indicate "today"'s date. Using the
> cache, this date is always the date of the cached version.
> I assume there may be other such dynamic elements in other types of
> PlantUML diagrams.
>
> Also we wanted to use the macro to show diagrams located in source
> repositories.
> Again, if we commit new versions into the source repository, Trac still
> just shows the cached version.
>
> As mentioned I had a look at the source, my Python and Trac development
> skills are at a minimum unfortunately.
> It seems that there is no (easy) way to disable the caching mechanism
> right?
>
> Thanks for any feedback on this, let me know if I should simply open an
> enhancement ticket.
>
> And in general thanks to all of you participating in maintaining and
> developing Trac.
>
> Best regards
> Tom

We could add an argument to the macro to disable the cache for one
particular diagram. Please feel free to open an issue.

Ryan