Mailing List Archive

Automated email response based on key-words found in the body of a received email
I have been looking in the Bloodhound/Trac documentation for any hints of
automation add-ons that we can develop our use case. It is not uncommon for
our developers to receive a large percentage of bug report emails showing
that our software users are using an outdated version of our software.
The obvious answer typically involves a basic standard repetitive effort of
sending emails back to the user suggesting that they upgrade to the latest
version of our software. We think this would be a good area for automation
- if a bug report email, received by Bloodhound, has a certain Version
number read in the body then an auto-response email will be automatically
sent back to the responder suggesting an update that may fix the issue.

Although this is probably too specific of a question to find an answer
right off the bat, I am looking for any information on where to start in
Bloodhound. Possibly other email automations (auto-response) have already
been successfully developed and in use as an add-on or plug-in. My specific
interest would be to search emails/tickets that are accepted by Bloodhound
and search the text body for a keyword, in our case a version and number,
that would trigger an auto-response email. Any help with pointing me to
examples or certain plugins would be appreciated regarding - email
auto-responses and how this would be triggered based on key-words found in
the body of an email ticket.

Kind Regards,

Robert M

Re: Automated email response based on key-words found in the body of a received email [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 9:46:08 AM UTC-7 Robert M wrote:

> I have been looking in the Bloodhound/Trac documentation for any hints of
> automation add-ons that we can develop our use case. It is not uncommon for
> our developers to receive a large percentage of bug report emails showing
> that our software users are using an outdated version of our software.
> The obvious answer typically involves a basic standard repetitive effort of
> sending emails back to the user suggesting that they upgrade to the latest
> version of our software. We think this would be a good area for automation
> - if a bug report email, received by Bloodhound, has a certain Version
> number read in the body then an auto-response email will be automatically
> sent back to the responder suggesting an update that may fix the issue.
>
> Although this is probably too specific of a question to find an answer
> right off the bat, I am looking for any information on where to start in
> Bloodhound. Possibly other email automations (auto-response) have already
> been successfully developed and in use as an add-on or plug-in. My specific
> interest would be to search emails/tickets that are accepted by Bloodhound
> and search the text body for a keyword, in our case a version and number,
> that would trigger an auto-response email. Any help with pointing me to
> examples or certain plugins would be appreciated regarding - email
> auto-responses and how this would be triggered based on key-words found in
> the body of an email ticket.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Robert M

I can't say anything about Bloodhound. As far as I can tell there hasn't
been a release since 2014.

You could certainly write a plugin to do what you want. For a rough example
of where to start, see ITicketManipulator:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PluginDevelopment/ExtensionPoints/trac.ticket.api.ITicketManipulator#Examples

See also: https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/CannedResponsesPlugin

Ryan

Re: Re: Automated email response based on key-words found in the body of a received email [ In reply to ]
Thanks Ryan,

Are there any automation features being developed at all for Trac or
Bloodhound? or is it not that popular for these trackers?

Robert

Re: Re: Automated email response based on key-words found in the body of a received email [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 8:34:05 PM UTC-7 Robert M wrote:

> Thanks Ryan,
>
> Are there any automation features being developed at all for Trac or
> Bloodhound? or is it not that popular for these trackers?
>
> Robert

I'm not aware of any. However, you could search:
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/HackIndex
https://github.com/trac-hacks

Re: Re: Automated email response based on key-words found in the body of a received email [ In reply to ]
This one comes closest: https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/CannedResponsesPlugin