Mailing List Archive

Python 3 subversion bindings
Hello,

I recently upgraded my Trac to the development version 1.5.3, mainly
because of the Python 3.X support. Doing this caused some grief but I
managed to get it working, all but the SVN support.

I know this is missing the Subversion Python bindings, this is normally
provided by the Ubuntu package python-subversion but this is a Python 2.7
package. I have been trying to find a way to get these bindings installed
for Python 3.X but to no avail. See the log messages below.

What would be the way to get these bindings?

2021-07-05 14:02:26,539 Trac[env] INFO: --------------------------------
environment startup [Trac 1.5.3] --------------------------------

2021-07-05 14:02:26,721 Trac[svn_fs] INFO: Failed to load Subversion
bindings

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python3.8/cmd.py", line 214, in onecmd

func = getattr(self, 'do_' + cmd)

AttributeError: 'TracAdmin' object has no attribute 'do_changeset'

Traceback (most recent call last):

File
"/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/tracopt/versioncontrol/svn/svn_fs.py",
line 200, in __init__

_import_svn()

File
"/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/tracopt/versioncontrol/svn/svn_fs.py",
line 72, in _import_svn

from svn import fs, repos, core, delta

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'svn'

Re: Python 3 subversion bindings [ In reply to ]
On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 11:40:55 AM UTC-7 Tristan wrote:

> Hello,
> I know this is missing the Subversion Python bindings, this is normally
> provided by the Ubuntu package python-subversion but this is a Python 2.7
> package. I have been trying to find a way to get these bindings installed
> for Python 3.X but to no avail. See the log messages below.

Which Ubuntu version and what is the version of Subversion provided by that
Ubuntu? Worst case, you may have to build and install Subversion from
source.

Ryan

Re: Python 3 subversion bindings [ In reply to ]
Ubuntu version: 20.04
Subversion: 1.13.0-3

Someone noted that I would need 1.14 for it to support Python 3. I have yet
to try to build it from source.

The joys of Python 2/3 incompatibility.

Re: Python 3 subversion bindings [ In reply to ]
Any updates on this? I'm in the same bind: Ubuntu 20.04, development copy
of Trac (1.5.4 at this point), everything is migrated successfully from a
project running Trac 1.4.3, but the repository connection is obviously
broken.

Re: Python 3 subversion bindings [ In reply to ]
As a follow up, there does appear to be a package containing alternate
Subversion bindings for Python 3:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/python3-subvertpy

however, I installed it and got the same error in Python 3,

>>> from svn import core
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'svn'

It looks like python3-subversion exists for Ubuntu 21 and up:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=python3-subversion

so it may be that an OS upgrade is necessary (if you are tied to APT and/or
do not want to deal with possible dependency issues).

Re: Python 3 subversion bindings [ In reply to ]
On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 2:41:20 PM UTC-8 sup...@tidbitsoftware.com
wrote:

> As a follow up, there does appear to be a package containing alternate
> Subversion bindings for Python 3:
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/python3-subvertpy
>
> however, I installed it and got the same error in Python 3,

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'svn'

Right, it's not compatible with subvertpy, py-vn, and other third-party
Subversion bindings.