Mailing List Archive

Request for help - Plugin template conversions
Hello Trac enthusiasts:

We've implemented some major changes in Trac and without some major effort
many plugins will soon be incompatible with the latest release of Trac:

Trac 1.4 Jinja2 is the template engine rather than Genshi
Trac 1.6 Dropping Python 2 support

The Jinja2 template conversions are pretty straightforward and can be done
by someone with minimal programming experience. We have a jinjachecker.py
tool for checking the syntax.

If you are interested in putting some effort towards converting templates,
even if you have minimal programming experience, I can offer help with:
setting up a dev environment, reviewing your changes, replying to
questions, etc.

At our current pace, with the current number of contributors, we will never
get this done. Please chime in if you can offer some help! :)

Ryan

Re: Request for help - Plugin template conversions [ In reply to ]
Hi Ryan

I think preparing a guide(s) for plugins migration to 1.4 -1.5 and 1.6
could be a good idea to increase workforce , I could take care of that once
I get a better understanding of the implications of the recent breaking
changes

Right now, I would not be sure where/how to start, but maybe with your
help we can make a quick overview in orden to enable myself to work on it
and produce that materia to share to the community.

Thanks

Emerson

Re: Request for help - Plugin template conversions [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 11:20:08 AM UTC-7 emecas wrote:

> Hi Ryan
>
> I think preparing a guide(s) for plugins migration to 1.4 -1.5 and 1.6
> could be a good idea to increase workforce , I could take care of that once
> I get a better understanding of the implications of the recent breaking
> changes
>
> Right now, I would not be sure where/how to start, but maybe with your
> help we can make a quick overview in orden to enable myself to work on it
> and produce that materia to share to the community.
>
> Thanks
>
> Emerson

There are two pages that document the syntax conversion:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PortingFromGenshiToJinja#Changesinthetemplatesyntax
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PortingFromGenshiToJinja/Example

Then, you can run jinjachecker on the modified templates:
$ ./contrib/jinjachecker.py
usage: jinjachecker.py [-h] [-j] [--html-only] [-q] [-i] TEMPLATE [TEMPLATE
...]
jinjachecker.py: error: the following arguments are required: TEMPLATE

Ryan