Mailing List Archive

TracTicketChangelogPlugin redundant with ticket change history
Hello

I am experimenting with the TracTicketChangelogPlugin (version 1.2) and
got it running (with TRAC 1.4.2). Very useful!

https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracTicketChangelogPlugin

Question:

How can I avoid that commits which appear in the new "Commit History"
table provided by this plugin also appear in the normal "Change History"
(aka. comment list)?

Background:

The purpose of the plugin is to offer this new table "Commit History"
for a ticket which has all related commits. Doing so I would rather
avoid redundancy with the ordinary "change history" (aka. comments). I
do not want that commits appears in the comments list, because they
would mix with other ticket comments there.

I have understood that plugin version 1.2 relies on the TRAC feature
"Commit Ticket Updater". This is the one which gives entries in the
"change history".

https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommitTicketUpdater

Shall I rather use version 1.0 of the plugin which does not use "Commit
Ticket Updater"? Is plugin version 1.0 compatible with TRAC 1.4?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
Clemens

Re: TracTicketChangelogPlugin redundant with ticket change history [ In reply to ]
On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 1:42:25 PM UTC-8 Clemens Feige wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am experimenting with the TracTicketChangelogPlugin (version 1.2) and
> got it running (with TRAC 1.4.2). Very useful!
>
> https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracTicketChangelogPlugin
>
> Question:
>
> How can I avoid that commits which appear in the new "Commit History"
> table provided by this plugin also appear in the normal "Change History"
> (aka. comment list)?
>
> Background:
>
> The purpose of the plugin is to offer this new table "Commit History"
> for a ticket which has all related commits. Doing so I would rather
> avoid redundancy with the ordinary "change history" (aka. comments). I
> do not want that commits appears in the comments list, because they
> would mix with other ticket comments there.
>
> I have understood that plugin version 1.2 relies on the TRAC feature
> "Commit Ticket Updater". This is the one which gives entries in the
> "change history".
>
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommitTicketUpdater

I don't remember the implementation details, but it looks like you can
disable CommitTicketUpdater. TracTicketChangelog uses the same options as
CommitTicketUpdater, but the latter component doesn't need to be enabled:

> In version 1.2 of the plugin the CommitTicketUpdater options are used to
configure the pattern.

The only downside is that removing CommitTicketUpdater doesn't remove
existing changeset comment history from tickets. Similar problem,
installing CommitTicketUpdater won't add existing changesset to existing
tickets. #12485 aims to correct those problems:
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12485

It should be fairly straightforward to run a query on the ticket comment
history to delete comments that contain:

{{{
#!CommitTicketReference ...
}}}

This is the content that is inserted by the plugin:

[image: Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 16.02.58.jpg]

Re: Re: TracTicketChangelogPlugin redundant with ticket change history [ In reply to ]
RjOllos wrote on 16.02.2021 at 01:05:

> On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 1:42:25 PM UTC-8 Clemens Feige wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I am experimenting with the TracTicketChangelogPlugin (version 1.2) and
> got it running (with TRAC 1.4.2). Very useful!
>
> https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracTicketChangelogPlugin
> <https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracTicketChangelogPlugin>
>
> Question:
>
> How can I avoid that commits which appear in the new "Commit History"
> table provided by this plugin also appear in the normal "Change
> History"
> (aka. comment list)?
>
> Background:
>
> The purpose of the plugin is to offer this new table "Commit History"
> for a ticket which has all related commits. Doing so I would rather
> avoid redundancy with the ordinary "change history" (aka. comments). I
> do not want that commits appears in the comments list, because they
> would mix with other ticket comments there.
>
> I have understood that plugin version 1.2 relies on the TRAC feature
> "Commit Ticket Updater". This is the one which gives entries in the
> "change history".
>
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommitTicketUpdater
> <https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommitTicketUpdater>
>

> I don't remember the implementation details, but it looks like you can
> disable CommitTicketUpdater. TracTicketChangelog uses the same options
> as CommitTicketUpdater, but the latter component doesn't need to be enabled:
>
> > In version 1.2 of the plugin the ?CommitTicketUpdater options are
> used to configure the pattern.
> The only downside is that removing CommitTicketUpdater doesn't remove
> existing changeset comment history from tickets. Similar problem,
> installing CommitTicketUpdater won't add existing changesset to existing
> tickets. #12485 aims to correct those problems:
> https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12485
>
> It should be fairly straightforward to run a query on the ticket comment
> history to delete comments that contain:
>
> {{{
> #!CommitTicketReference ...
> }}}

Hello Ryan

Yes, you are right. The TracTicketChangelogPlugin does not care if the
optional `tracopt.ticket.commit_updater.*` is actually enabled or
disabled. It is enough if the ?CommitTicketUpdater configuration options
are present. That SOLVES my issue. Thanks.

I hope it is accepted that I added a corresponding sentence to the
documentation:
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracTicketChangelogPlugin?action=diff&version=36

I could also confirm the "downside" after removing CommitTicketUpdater
you mentioned. Luckily I have not used the ?CommitTicketUpdater in our
productive site yet. So this issue does not bite me.

However, please the attached screenshot. After using ?
CommitTicketUpdater and then disabling it again, the problem (for other
people) are not only those needless "comment" entries which remain in
the "Change History". (That might be acceptable probably.)
What is might be more confusing is the fact that an error message
appears in each of the needless comments:
"Error: Failed to load processor `CommitTicketReference`"

Looks like disabling ?CommitTicketUpdater has also disabled this
particular CommitTicketReference wiki processor.

I do not want to complain about it, because it does not affect my site.
Also there are some workarounds to get rid of it (like "query comments
and remove" you proposed).
Nevertheless, I would create a new TRAC ticket on that matter, if you
think it is worth...

Clemens

Re: Re: TracTicketChangelogPlugin redundant with ticket change history [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 2:18:33 PM UTC-8 Clemens Feige wrote:

> [...]
> productive site yet. So this issue does not bite me.
>
> However, please the attached screenshot. After using
> CommitTicketUpdater and then disabling it again, the problem (for other
> people) are not only those needless "comment" entries which remain in
> the "Change History". (That might be acceptable probably.)
> What is might be more confusing is the fact that an error message
> appears in each of the needless comments:
> "Error: Failed to load processor `CommitTicketReference`"
>
> Looks like disabling CommitTicketUpdater has also disabled this
> particular CommitTicketReference wiki processor.
>
> I do not want to complain about it, because it does not affect my site.
> Also there are some workarounds to get rid of it (like "query comments
> and remove" you proposed).
> Nevertheless, I would create a new TRAC ticket on that matter, if you

You should be able to resolve that by keeping CommitTicketReferenceMacro
enabled:

tracopt.ticket.commit_updater.CommitTicketReferenceMacro = enabled
tracopt.ticket.commit_updater.CommitTicketUpdater = disabled

Adding/Removing history from tickets by enabling/disabling commit_updater
would be accomplished by implementing #12485.

Ryan

Re: Re: TracTicketChangelogPlugin redundant with ticket change history [ In reply to ]
RjOllos wrote on 17.02.2021 at 01:22:

> On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 2:18:33 PM UTC-8 Clemens wrote:
>

> After using ?
> CommitTicketUpdater and then disabling it again, the problem (for
> other
> people) are not only those needless "comment" entries which remain in
> the "Change History". (That might be acceptable probably.)
> What is might be more confusing is the fact that an error message
> appears in each of the needless comments:
> "Error: Failed to load processor `CommitTicketReference`"
>
> Looks like disabling ?CommitTicketUpdater has also disabled this
> particular CommitTicketReference wiki processor.
>
> Clemens
>

> You should be able to resolve that by keeping
> CommitTicketReferenceMacro enabled:
>
> tracopt.ticket.commit_updater.CommitTicketReferenceMacro = enabled
> tracopt.ticket.commit_updater.CommitTicketUpdater = disabled
>
> Adding/Removing history from tickets by enabling/disabling
> commit_updater would be accomplished by implementing #12485.
>
> Ryan

I tested it. Works well.

Thanks
Clemens