• Does Trac support SAML-based SSO logins (e.g. Shibboleth or CAS)?

• Are there any limits on the number of users?

• Does the software have the following functionality:

• - rich text editor

• - contacts/CRM feature for communicating with clients

• - Checklists within tasks

• - Import from Redmine

Thanks!

Re: Questions about Trac features [ In reply to ]
Hi eddie,

Am Di., 9. Feb. 2021 um 20:58 Uhr schrieb Eddie Konczal <
konczal@scarletmail.rutgers.edu>:

> I'm investigating alternative to the Redmine content management software
> and Trac is one of the systems under consideration.

its not a CMS in the way like most other groupware is going about. Its a
Ticketsystem aimed on software development so most of the questions below
will be a no out of the box.
I guess you got a few plugins that can support stuff but from my experience
it wont fit your bill

I have the following questions about Trac:

> • Does Trac support SAML-based SSO logins (e.g. Shibboleth or CAS)?
>
> • Are there any limits on the number of users?
>
> • Does the software have the following functionality:
>
> • - rich text editor
>
> • - contacts/CRM feature for communicating with clients
>
> • - Checklists within tasks
>
> • - Import from Redmine

cheers

Markus

Re: Questions about Trac features [ In reply to ]
Markus,

Thanks for the reply. I misspoke - we are looking for a project management
system (not a CMS). But are you saying it's more of a ticket management
system, and not so much used for project management?

Thanks,
Eddie

Re: Questions about Trac features [ In reply to ]
well it as some basic project managment like feature out of the box. you
have milestones which translate to a project but one trac instance is
basically designed to serve one project. everything else evolves around
this. In my old company we simply use the ticketsystem feature and wiki to
keep track of stuff but at the end of the day if you look at the design of
trac its a tool to server one software project.

cheers

Markus

Am Di., 9. Feb. 2021 um 22:02 Uhr schrieb Eddie Konczal <

Re: Questions about Trac features [ In reply to ]
Markus,

Thanks - that's really helpful!

-Eddie

Re: Questions about Trac features [ In reply to ]
no problem, i am sure other can give additional input regarding plugins but
i use to spin up an instance of trac for a single project so you end up
with a few instances :)

Again trac was designed to serve software developers to keep track of there
software project. Its simple but most of the time it does the job, if you
need more fanzy stuff you might better off with other solutions.

cheers

Markus

Am Di., 9. Feb. 2021 um 22:10 Uhr schrieb Eddie Konczal <

Re: Questions about Trac features [ In reply to ]
As regards your other questions:

• Does Trac support SAML-based SSO logins (e.g. Shibboleth or CAS)?

You would need to install a plugin for that:
https://trac-hacks.org/tags/sso?wiki=on

• Are there any limits on the number of users?

Strictly speaking not. The amount of users is limited by your firmware
and/or database. SQLite works fine in most instances, but to reduce the
possibility of lock contention with quite sizeable teams you would need
either MySQL, MariaDB or PostgreSQL as your backend, all of which are
supported out of the box.

• Does the software have the following functionality:

• - rich text editor

We get along fine with the features offered through a standard
installation. For more feature rich user interfaces would need to install a
plugin: https://trac-hacks.org/tags/WYSIWYG?wiki=on

• - contacts/CRM feature for communicating with clients

This is not a strong point of Trac. An older plugin was developed to
interface with a well-known sales system:
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TicketToSalesforcePlugin, but may not have been
designed with your required feature set in mind.

There are also plugins to deal with emails (eg
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/MailToTracPlugin), but this is mainly targeted
towards team members as opposed to client communication.

• - Checklists within tasks

This is purposefully not a feature, as Trac is designed to impose as few
rules as possible about how teams want to operate. It would have to be
developed. My personal experience is that existing features offered through
a standard install of Trac are likely to supersede your original way of
working.

• - Import from Redmine

There is no plugin to support this, but it can be done through an
intermediate step involving CSV files:
https://trac-hacks.org/tags/import?wiki=on

Ticket imports from foreign systems have an inherent risk of not supporting
all fields, but RedMine happens to be a clone of Trac.