Mailing List Archive

Plugin proposal: TracSnippetPlugin
Hello

I am planning to write a small TRAC plugin and would like to hear your
opinion.

A plugin "TracSnippetPlugin" is proposed which helps the user to put the
ticket number, summary and URL into the system clipboard.

Here is the story:

Often users like me refer to tickets in e-mails. One may want to include
the ticket number the ticket summary (aka. title) and the ticket URL -
kind of a ticket snippet. The process is simply a copy&paste via
clipboard, because all these information fragment are prominently
present in the TRAC window. However, one has to do copy&paste multiple
times.

What I want is more convenience with this copy&paste of ticket
information. It might not count for just one ticket, but if you
frequently have to do it for dozens of ticket, then it becomes tedious.

User Interface:

The plugin would offer a tiny button somewhere on the ticket page
(probably at the top of description text). This button would call some
Javascript and copy ticket number, summary and URL as text into the
clipboard.
Alternatively there could be a small text box with this text snippet.
The user could then manually select it and copy to clipboard.

What do you think?
Could such plugin be interesting for people in the worldwide TRAC community?

Clemens

Re: Plugin proposal: TracSnippetPlugin [ In reply to ]
A small button that can be pressed seems nice to me. As long as it would
work on multiple operating systems and mobile devices then it seems like a
handy/convenient addition for everyone. Perhaps with some kind of ability
for a particular user to customize the format of what is copied and how it
is all put together in a string.

I have a number of different trac projects and I could very easily imagine
people using one project would want something slightly different than other
people (hence the customization possibility). Also, I could image that if a
project has custom fields then maybe they could be included (or not) in the
copy+paste op...

Kindly,
Aikido Guy

Re: Plugin proposal: TracSnippetPlugin [ In reply to ]
Also... I remember that a voting plugin adds a small button "above" the
ticket... maybe that could be a location for you to consider adding your
possible new button...

Re: Re: Plugin proposal: TracSnippetPlugin [ In reply to ]
Hello

Attached you'll find what I have accomplished so far. I am going to
release it to the public as TracSnippetPlugin.

The plugin is rather simple. It uses Javascript to create a "Ticket
Info" box (aka. snippet) below the ticket properties. It contains
project ID, ticket number, title and URL.
With Javascript the information snippet is copied to the clipboard.

Nothing is configurable so far. But I can imagine that some kind of
configuration would be nice. People may like to customize the text or
the position. Some may probably want only the clipboard button without
the extra box. We'll see...

Clemens

Re: new Plugin: TracSnippetPlugin [ In reply to ]
Hello

I have published a new InfoSnippetPlugin on TRAC-Hacks:

https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/InfoSnippetPlugin

The InfoSnippetPlugin plugin assembles ticket information like ticket
number, summary and URL all together at one place in the ticket view.
The user can then use a button to copy this information as text into the
system clipboard.

Enjoy
Clemens