Mailing List Archive

Problems upgrading Trac 1.2 to 1.4
I'm in the process of planning a Trac upgrade to 1.4.

For right now, I'm testing the upgrade on a test vm.

Below is the environment before upgrade:

Trac 1.2.2

Genshi 0.7 (with speedups)

mod_python 3.3.1

Pygments 2.1

pysqlite 2.7.0

Python 2.7.15

setuptools 39.0.1

SQLite 3.11.0

jQuery 1.11.3

jQuery UI 1.11.4

jQuery Timepicker 1.5.5

Apache2 2.4.18

We do not have any custom templates.

This is what I've done so far:

1. Upgraded to mod_python 3.5.0
2. Upgraded Trac from 1.2.2 to 1.4.2 using pip
3. Upgraded projects

After the upgrade, the projects do not have the following:

* Admin tab
* About Trac tab
* Home page still shows Trac 1.2

I can create a new project and it works as expected, but when I enable Trac Account Manager, I lose the login, as well as the admin and about trac tabs.

I have tried upgrading account manager to the latest version, but same results.

Is there a compatibility issue with Trac 1.4 and account manager?

What is causing account manager to break my Trac projects?

Thanks,

Patty

Re: Problems upgrading Trac 1.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
Hi Patty,

I had just went through upgrading 1.2.5 to 1.4.2 and for me the key was to
use the SVN version of the AccountManager plugin:

pip install svn+https://trac-hacks.org/svn/accountmanagerplugin/trunk

-jeff

---
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: MapServer Consulting and Training Services
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/

Re: Problems upgrading Trac 1.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 8:04:57 AM UTC-8 jeffm...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Patty,
>
> I had just went through upgrading 1.2.5 to 1.4.2 and for me the key was to
> use the SVN version of the AccountManager plugin:
>
> pip install svn+https://trac-hacks.org/svn/accountmanagerplugin/trunk
>
> -jeff

Yeah, we need to get a new release of TracAccountManager, but I haven't
found the time yet. Your recommendation to install from the repository is a
good one.

Patty, if you continue to have trouble after that, please:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracTroubleshooting#ChecktheLogs

Ryan

RE: Problems upgrading Trac 1.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the quick response.

I did try using the SVN version, but I used pip install svn+https://trac-hacks.org/svn/accountmanagerplugin/tags/acct_mgr-0.5.0, as per the instructions on the plugin page.
I still get the same results.

What is also strange is that not all the TracAccountManager components are listed in Manage Plugins web interface for the new project I created.
For example, the following components are not listed:
acct_mgr.admin.*
acct_mgr.macros.*
acct_mgr.notification.*
acct_mgr.register.*
acct_mgr.web_ui.*

I even tried adding those components to the trac.ini file, but that just broke the new project.

Re: Problems upgrading Trac 1.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 9:10 AM Patty Cottrill <pcottrill@imci.net> wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response.
>

> I did try using the SVN version, but I used pip install svn+
> https://trac-hacks.org/svn/accountmanagerplugin/tags/acct_mgr-0.5.0, as
> per the instructions on the plugin page.
>
> I still get the same results.

Install from trunk, like Jeff mentioned:
pip install svn+https://trac-hacks.org/svn/accountmanagerplugin/trunk

The plugin page needs to be updated.

Ryan

RE: Problems upgrading Trac 1.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
Ok, here is my update.

I installed the trunk version (0.6.dev) and I’m making progress, but still have some issues.

All the components are back when using the trunk version.

When enabling the LoginModule component however, the login page generates the following error, even though the Trac LoginModule is disabled:

Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

The only way I can login is to disable the Account Manager LoginModule and re-enable the Trac LoginModule.
I still need to review the logs to see what is causing the error in the login page; will update once I’ve had a chance to review.
I don’t think it is a configuration issue because the login worked before the upgrade to Trac 1.4.2.

The other weird thing, which I don’t believe to be Account Manager related is that when I run the trac-admin upgrade and trac-admin wiki upgrade on existing projects, the home page heading still says “Welcome to Trac 1.2”.
In the past, after running the trac-admin upgrade, this was updated to reflect the new version.
I never customized that heading in the existing projects, so I don’t understand why it is not updating.
In fact, the home page itself was never customized; it is the original home page.

The project itself does upgrade, as per the About Trac page, its just that heading in the home page that does not get updated to reflect the new version.
Worst case scenario, I will have to manually update the home pages of all our projects; thankfully, it is not a lot.
Any ideas why I might be experiencing this and has anyone else experienced this in their upgrades?

Thanks everyone for your help!

-- Patty

Re: Problems upgrading Trac 1.2 to 1.4 [ In reply to ]
On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 1:05:59 PM UTC-8 pcottrill wrote:

> Ok, here is my update.
>

> I installed the trunk version (0.6.dev) and I’m making progress, but
> still have some issues.
>

> All the components are back when using the trunk version.
>

> When enabling the LoginModule component however, the login page generates
> the following error, even though the Trac LoginModule is disabled:
>
> *Internal Server Error*
>
> *The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
> unable to complete your request.*
>
> *Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@localhost to inform
> them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just
> before this error.*
>
> *More information about this error may be available in the server error
> log.*
>

> The only way I can login is to disable the Account Manager LoginModule and
> re-enable the Trac LoginModule.
>
> I still need to review the logs to see what is causing the error in the
> login page; will update once I’ve had a chance to review.
>
> I don’t think it is a configuration issue because the login worked before
> the upgrade to Trac 1.4.2.

The log might have some hints as to the problem:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracTroubleshooting#ChecktheLogs

> The other weird thing, which I don’t believe to be Account Manager related
> is that when I run the trac-admin upgrade and trac-admin wiki upgrade on
> existing projects, the home page heading still says “Welcome to Trac 1.2”.
>
> In the past, after running the trac-admin upgrade, this was updated to
> reflect the new version.
>
> I never customized that heading in the existing projects, so I don’t
> understand why it is not updating.
>
> In fact, the home page itself was never customized; it is the original
> home page.
>

> The project itself does upgrade, as per the About Trac page, its just that
> heading in the home page that does not get updated to reflect the new
> version.
>
> Worst case scenario, I will have to manually update the home pages of all
> our projects; thankfully, it is not a lot.
>
> Any ideas why I might be experiencing this and has anyone else experienced
> this in their upgrades?

The WikiStart page isn't updated when upgrading Trac or the wiki:
https://trac.edgewall.org/browser/tags/trac-1.4.2/trac/wiki/admin.py?marks=269#L266

For that reason, we changed the text a few releases ago so that it says
"Welcome to Trac" rather than "Welcome to Trac 1.4.2". That change also
elimianted one step in our release process, because we don't have to change
the version on the wiki page in the repository.
https://trac.edgewall.org/browser/tags/trac-1.4.2/trac/wiki/default-pages/WikiStart

For other reasons though, make sure to run "trac-admin $env wiki upgrade"
in addition to "trac-admin $env upgrade".
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade#UpdatetheTracDocumentation

Ryan