Any and all thoughts welcome!

Kindly,
Aikido Guy

Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]

Maybe this plugin: https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/MilnCheckboxPlugin

Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
Maybe along the lines of adding a comment that contained something similar
to *[ticket-custom]*...

Possible mockup for a comment containing checkboxes:

*[comment-custom]*

*test_one = checkbox*

*test_one.label = Some checkbox checked at the start... and possibly
unchecked by clicking on a box*
*test_one.value = 1*

*test_two = checkbox*
*test_two.label = Some checkbox unchecked at the start... and possibly
checked by clicking on a box*

Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
Our posts passed each other...

I like the plugin... however, the checkboxes are not interactive... I'm
wondering if something interactive could be done?

Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
Maybe a little bit of CSS styling could be used to change the font colour
on checked vs unchecked boxes using the plugin. The plugin looks to be very
small; which I like...

Any thoughts how I might accomplish this?

Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
I have mocked up an html file that can display what I want.

Now I'm looking at the source code of the checkbox plugin you kindly shared.

In particular:
def get_wiki_syntax(self):
yield (
"\[(?P<contents>[ xX+])\]",
lambda x, y, z: self._format_checkbox(z.group("contents")))
I am guessing that the regular expression is, somehow, searching over the
wiki markup (or the generate html... I'm not sure) and replacing the text
with the respective html code.

I am wondering how to change this code so that I have both the text "[x]"
(like above) but also the part after it up until the next newline... hints
appreciated!

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
Would this other plugin be more in line with what you are looking for:
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracFormsPlugin

Chris

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
I like the TracFormsPlugin. If I understand correctly, one starts by
creating the "form", perhaps in a wiki page which becomes the template.
Then the wiki page can be included in comments or somewhere else and that
second location will have its own data.

I see 2 things that may trip me up:
1. Not sure how to customize a row so that the whole row could be a
different colour
2. If the template changes over time then what happens to the comments that
are using it? Create template A. Include it from comment B. Change template
A... what happens to comment B?

I think the MilnCheckboxPlugin may be better because it keeps in the theme
that a comment would need to be edited and then submitted. I was thinking
clickon a checkbox might be a nice thing to do, but I'm waffling on that.
My only issue with using MilnCheckboxPlugin is trying to modify the code to
make it do what I'd like it to do. I've found the piece of the code that I
think needs to change... perhaps I should directly contact the author of
that plugin...

Thank you for pointing out TracFormsPlugin... seems very nice and I didn't
know about it!

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
I contacted the author of Miln Checkbox. He no longer supports that plugin.
I will build my own from scratch... that suites my needs.
- https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/IWikiSyntaxProviderExample looks
like a very nice place for me to start learning how to do this

Thank you all for your help getting met to this point!

Kindly,
Aikido Guy

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 5:19:09 PM UTC-4 Aikido Guy wrote:

> I like the TracFormsPlugin. If I understand correctly, one starts by
> creating the "form", perhaps in a wiki page which becomes the template.
> Then the wiki page can be included in comments or somewhere else and that
> second location will have its own data.
>
> I see 2 things that may trip me up:
> 1. Not sure how to customize a row so that the whole row could be a
> different colour
> 2. If the template changes over time then what happens to the comments
> that are using it? Create template A. Include it from comment B. Change
> template A... what happens to comment B?
>
> I think the MilnCheckboxPlugin may be better because it keeps in the theme
> that a comment would need to be edited and then submitted. I was thinking
> clickon a checkbox might be a nice thing to do, but I'm waffling on that.
> My only issue with using MilnCheckboxPlugin is trying to modify the code to
> make it do what I'd like it to do. I've found the piece of the code that I
> think needs to change... perhaps I should directly contact the author of
> that plugin...
>
> Thank you for pointing out TracFormsPlugin... seems very nice and I didn't
> know about it!
>
> On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 5:04:48 PM UTC-4 Chris Shelton wrote:
>
>> Would this other plugin be more in line with what you are looking for:
>> https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracFormsPlugin
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 4:15 PM Aikido Guy <aiki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have mocked up an html file that can display what I want.
>>>
>>> Now I'm looking at the source code of the checkbox plugin you kindly
>>> shared.
>>>
>>> In particular:
>>> def get_wiki_syntax(self):
>>> yield (

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
I have been able to manually place the Miln Checkbox in the plugins/
directory in a single trac environment using a vanilla Trac install
(version 1.2) on ubuntu.

I am running into an issue when trying to manually place the
*NewsflashMacro.py* file (and it's css file) into the plugins directory.
Trac sees the plugin and it is enabled in the Admin pannel. The trac.log
says that there is no handler for the css file.

- Where should I put the css file?
- What is the best practice for loading css files from plugins? i.e. is
the NewsflashMacro.py plugin demonstrating current best practice for Trac
1.2 and Trac 1.4?

Kindly,
Aikido Guy

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 9:01:46 AM UTC-7 aiki...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have been able to manually place the Miln Checkbox in the plugins/
> directory in a single trac environment using a vanilla Trac install
> (version 1.2) on ubuntu.
>
> I am running into an issue when trying to manually place the
> *NewsflashMacro.py* file (and it's css file) into the plugins directory.
> Trac sees the plugin and it is enabled in the Admin pannel. The trac.log
> says that there is no handler for the css file.
>
> - Where should I put the css file?
> - What is the best practice for loading css files from plugins? i.e.
> is the NewsflashMacro.py plugin demonstrating current best practice for
> Trac 1.2 and Trac 1.4?
>
> Kindly,
> Aikido Guy

Where did you get NewflashMacro.py? The plugin should be packaged, not
single-file:
https://trac-hacks.org/browser/newsflashmacro/0.11

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
Yes, that's where I downloaded the *macro.py *file and the *newsflash.css *file.
Since I am attempting to create my own plugin, I thought I would start with
an existing one and build it up. The only issue with that plugin is that
the css file is not found when I manually put the macro.py file into the
plugins/ directory. What part of NewsflashMacro should I read to learn
where the css file should be placed?
I saw:
def get_htdocs_dirs(self):
yield 'newsflash', resource_filename(__name__, 'htdocs')
which led me to put the css file inside *htdocs/css/newsflash.css* but that
did not work.

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
Solved my issue. The css file needs to be under plugins/htdocs/css/ rather
than htdocs/css/

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 11:25:55 AM UTC-7 aiki...@gmail.com wrote:

> Solved my issue. The css file needs to be under plugins/htdocs/css/ rather
> than htdocs/css/

Normally, you'd build the egg "python setup.py bdist_egg" and put the egg
in the plugins directory.

If you want to develop, "python setup.py develop",
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PluginDevelopment#Plugindeployment

- Ryan

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 12:27:57 AM UTC-4 RjOllos wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 11:25:55 AM UTC-7 AikidoGuy wrote:
>
>> Solved my issue. The css file needs to be under plugins/htdocs/css/
>> rather than htdocs/css/
>>

> Normally, you'd build the egg "python setup.py bdist_egg" and put the egg
> in the plugins directory.
>
> If you want to develop, "python setup.py develop",
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PluginDevelopment#Plugindeployment
>
> - Ryan

Excellent link; thank you! My new "plugin" works as I envisioned it. So
building all of the deployment surrounding my new plugin is my next step
and you are very timely with the information :)

Your web page describes building eggs (which I have never done before and
that's ok... I can learn). However, I understand that wheels are what are
being built now (because I had to download and install wheels when I
upgraded my Trac version).
- Should I build an egg or a wheel? I'm guessing that an egg may be easier
for a first timer to build...?
- If I should rather be building a wheel; how does one build a Trac plugin
wheel for pypi?

Kindly,
Aikido Guy

Re: Re: On a ticket... add a comment with a checklist in it? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 5:44:20 AM UTC-7 aiki...@gmail.com
wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 12:27:57 AM UTC-4 RjOllos wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 11:25:55 AM UTC-7 AikidoGuy wrote:
>>
>>> Solved my issue. The css file needs to be under plugins/htdocs/css/
>>> rather than htdocs/css/
>>>

>> Normally, you'd build the egg "python setup.py bdist_egg" and put the egg
>> in the plugins directory.
>>
>> If you want to develop, "python setup.py develop",
>> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PluginDevelopment#Plugindeployment
>>
>> - Ryan
>>

> Excellent link; thank you! My new "plugin" works as I envisioned it. So
> building all of the deployment surrounding my new plugin is my next step
> and you are very timely with the information :)
>
> Your web page describes building eggs (which I have never done before and
> that's ok... I can learn). However, I understand that wheels are what are
> being built now (because I had to download and install wheels when I
> upgraded my Trac version).
> - Should I build an egg or a wheel? I'm guessing that an egg may be easier
> for a first timer to build...?
> - If I should rather be building a wheel; how does one build a Trac plugin
> wheel for pypi?
>
> Kindly,
> Aikido Guy

Wheel is the newer packaging format and is preferred if installing to
site-packages. However, you can mix formats. You can install Trac as a
wheel, some plugins as a wheel, some plugins as an egg.

Usually, it doesn't matter much if you use a wheel or an egg since most
Trac plugins are pure python. The important thing is to use pip package
manager rather than easy_install, because pip is better maintained and has
features like uninstall, so old versions will be uninstalled on upgrade.
That only matters though if you are installing to site-packages. I always
use a virtualenv and install to site-packages.

Eggs are still needed if installing in the global or environment plugins
directory. You can't create a wheel, put it in the plugins directory, and
expect Trac to load it correctly. The topic is discussed here:
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12288#comment:11

You can create a wheel with:
python setup.py bdist_wheel
Then you can publish it to pypi with twine.
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/DevGuide#PublishingPackagestoPyPI

- Ryan