Mailing List Archive

getting blank report pages
Trac was working perfectly for years until about a month ago, I got a
prompt to upgrade. Without preserving my VM's state, I just clicked
upgrade and now I am unable to view my tickets or anything else.

I can startup at: localhost:8000/trac

And will see the welcome screen and can login but if clicking on tickets or
search, the page comes up completely blank. I use various bookmarked URL's
that worked for forever but those too are coming up with a completely blank
page.

I went back to a VM where trac worked and under /usr/sbin/tracd, it was
using with V 1.2.4. The current /usr/sbin/tracd version is 1.4.

I've tried to copy over my trac directory and sbin/tracd files from the
older VM to see if I could get that to work but came up with nothing.

I've set the log level in trac.ini to DEBUG and got the attached log file.

I'd like to give more information to start with but am not sure where to
start. Ideas?

Re: getting blank report pages [ In reply to ]
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 10:26:02 AM UTC-7, a colk wrote:

> Trac was working perfectly for years until about a month ago, I got a
> prompt to upgrade. Without preserving my VM's state, I just clicked
> upgrade and now I am unable to view my tickets or anything else.

Trac doesn't have a "prompt to upgrade" feature, but maybe that's a feature
of a software stack you are using, such as Bitnami? Or was that your OS
package manager, and if so, what OS?

> I can startup at: localhost:8000/trac
>
> And will see the welcome screen and can login but if clicking on tickets
> or search, the page comes up completely blank. I use various bookmarked
> URL's that worked for forever but those too are coming up with a completely
> blank page.
>
> I went back to a VM where trac worked and under /usr/sbin/tracd, it was
> using with V 1.2.4. The current /usr/sbin/tracd version is 1.4.
>
> I've tried to copy over my trac directory and sbin/tracd files from the
> older VM to see if I could get that to work but came up with nothing.
>
> I've set the log level in trac.ini to DEBUG and got the attached log file.
>
> I'd like to give more information to start with but am not sure where to
> start. Ideas?

What version of Jinja2 do you have? You can query via "pip list" or through
your OS package manager.

You probably have 2.11 or later, which introduced a change and now we have
incompatible syntax:
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/13242

We'll be releasing Trac 1.4.2 with a fix in the next few days. In the
meantime, please downgrade to jinja2 < 2.11. Please let me know if you need
help on downgrading. Are you using pip for package management?

$ pip uninstall jinja2
$ pip install "jinja2<2.11"

If you've installed from your OS package manager it could be more difficult
to downgrade jinja2.

- Ryan

Re: getting blank report pages [ In reply to ]
I'm on Fedora 32 and it was installed via the DNF package manager. I tried
to uninstall jinja but DNF wanted to uninstall everything, including trac.
I did this or that but in the end, it was a PITA trying to get it to work
without installing things and it seemed that when installing with pip,
things were still defaulting to what was installed with DNF.

I did have version 2.11 of Jinja. If you're going to release a new version
that might solve the problem, let's wait. A few days of putting issues in
a text file isn't a big deal. I'll wait for the update and see if it
solves it. Thanks for your quick reply.

Re: Re: getting blank report pages [ In reply to ]
I think the code change was minor. If you look at the ticket I referenced you can see the theme.html change. Your log file shows the location of theme.html in the traceback at the end of the log. You might be able to fix the issue be editing theme.html

________________________________

Re: getting blank report pages [ In reply to ]
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 4:05:40 PM UTC-7, a colk wrote:

> I'm on Fedora 32 and it was installed via the DNF package manager. I
> tried to uninstall jinja but DNF wanted to uninstall everything, including
> trac. I did this or that but in the end, it was a PITA trying to get it to
> work without installing things and it seemed that when installing with pip,
> things were still defaulting to what was installed with DNF.
>
> I did have version 2.11 of Jinja. If you're going to release a new
> version that might solve the problem, let's wait. A few days of putting
> issues in a text file isn't a big deal. I'll wait for the update and see
> if it solves it. Thanks for your quick reply.

Now that I think about it, we really should have released 1.4.2 as soon as
this problem was fixed. I figured we could just tell users to downgrade
Jinja2 if necessary, which is easy to do using pip. I didn't think about OS
package managers.

Is Fedora quick to integrate new packages when they are released? Do you
know if they'd take steps to enforce Jinja2 < 2.11 with Trac 1.4.1 if
reported to the package maintainers?

Trac 1.4.2 can probably be released on Wed 17-June.

If you wish to patch on your own, you'll need to apply in order
1. https://trac.edgewall.org/changeset/17236/
2. https://trac.edgewall.org/changeset/17244#file0 (no need to worry about
the tests)

Even better workaround: copy the 4 HTML templates to $env/templates
directory and apply the changes from those two changes sets. Restart your
webserver and the templates in $env/templates will take precedence.

When you upgrade to 1.4.2 you can delete the 4 templates from
$env/templates.

- Ryan

Re: getting blank report pages [ In reply to ]
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 10:46:10 AM UTC-7, RjOllos wrote:

> On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 10:26:02 AM UTC-7, a colk wrote:
>>
>> Trac was working perfectly for years until about a month ago, I got a
>> prompt to upgrade. Without preserving my VM's state, I just clicked
>> upgrade and now I am unable to view my tickets or anything else.
>>

> Trac doesn't have a "prompt to upgrade" feature, but maybe that's a
> feature of a software stack you are using, such as Bitnami? Or was that
> your OS package manager, and if so, what OS?
>

>> I can startup at: localhost:8000/trac
>>
>> And will see the welcome screen and can login but if clicking on tickets
>> or search, the page comes up completely blank. I use various bookmarked
>> URL's that worked for forever but those too are coming up with a completely
>> blank page.
>>
>> I went back to a VM where trac worked and under /usr/sbin/tracd, it was
>> using with V 1.2.4. The current /usr/sbin/tracd version is 1.4.
>>
>> I've tried to copy over my trac directory and sbin/tracd files from the
>> older VM to see if I could get that to work but came up with nothing.
>>
>> I've set the log level in trac.ini to DEBUG and got the attached log file.
>>
>> I'd like to give more information to start with but am not sure where to
>> start. Ideas?
>>

> What version of Jinja2 do you have? You can query via "pip list" or
> through your OS package manager.
>
> You probably have 2.11 or later, which introduced a change and now we have
> incompatible syntax:
> https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/13242
>
> We'll be releasing Trac 1.4.2 with a fix in the next few days. In the
> meantime, please downgrade to jinja2 < 2.11. Please let me know if you need
> help on downgrading. Are you using pip for package management?
>
> $ pip uninstall jinja2
> $ pip install "jinja2<2.11"
>
> If you've installed from your OS package manager it could be more
> difficult to downgrade jinja2.
>
> - Ryan

Sorry, I was completely off.

The Jinja2 2.11 compatibility was released in 1.4.1, Feb 12, 2020:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracChangeLog#a1.4.1

So Fedora is lagging in upgrading their version of Trac.

You'll have to either prompt them to upgrade, upgrade outside your package
manager, or apply the custom templates workaround I suggested.

- Ryan

Re: getting blank report pages [ In reply to ]
I was having difficulties getting Trac 1.5.1 to work with Fedora 33. When
trying to install (or uninstall and re-install), I kept getting issues with
libraries not installing properly or unable to update. It was too daunting
to solve.

I recently did some new installs of Fedora 33 from scratch and ran into the
same problems but a work around:

1) regular Fedora 33 install
2) sudo dnf update (The update is a pretty big update but let this finish)
3) reboot.
4) sudo dnf install trac
5) reboot (not sure if needed but just to be sure)
6) run scripts to get machine customized with packages I need (normally
trac install was done in this step)

Somewhere packages installed in step 6 were stomping on each other and some
of the Python 2.7 dependencies were getting stuffed up. It was too
involved to figure out where/why but this workaround got trac working on
Fedora 33.

It's possible that you could run step #4 as the first step in step #6 but
haven't yet tried this. Go with what works for now.