Progress with Python 3?
Hello all,

Browsing #12130 [1] it looks like there has been some great progress with a python 3 version.

Is it ready for people to start trying it out? I am happy with a buggy version if I can try / test and report issues.

I am under pressure to upgrade the python version on our host server...

[1] https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130

With best regards,

~ Mark C

Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 2:44:01 AM UTC-8, Cooke, Mark wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Browsing #12130 [1] it looks like there has been some great progress with
> a python 3 version.
>
> Is it ready for people to start trying it out? I am happy with a buggy
> version if I can try / test and report issues.
>
> I am under pressure to upgrade the python version on our host server...
>
> [1] https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130
>
> With best regards,
>
> ~ Mark C

I wouldn't run it in production yet, but if you can upgrade a staging site,
test it and report issues, that would help.

We'll also need to test plugins, and nearly every plugin will need at least
a few modifications to work with python3. Only these have been tested so
far:
https://trac-hacks.org/tags/python3?wiki=on

- Ryan

> On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 2:44:01 AM UTC-8, Cooke, Mark wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> Browsing #12130 [1] it looks like there has been some great progress with
> a python 3 version.
>
> Is it ready for people to start trying it out? I am happy with a buggy
> version if I can try / test and report issues.
>
> I am under pressure to upgrade the python version on our host server...
>
> [1] https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130
> <https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130>
>
> With best regards,
>
> ~ Mark C
>

> I wouldn't run it in production yet, but if you can upgrade a staging site, test
> it and report issues, that would help.
>
> We'll also need to test plugins, and nearly every plugin will need at least a
> few modifications to work with python3. Only these have been tested so far:
> https://trac-hacks.org/tags/python3?wiki=on
>
> - Ryan

Where is the best place to get the source? The links for 1.5.x here:

https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#LatestDevRelease

are all named with 1.3.6 and the box here

https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#AbouttheprerequisitesforTrac1.5.x

still mentions python 2.7. The changesets in the ticket look like git rather than subversion?

~ Mark C

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 10:14 PM Cooke, Mark <
mark.cooke@siemens-healthineers.com> wrote:

> [...]

Latest changes are in Jun's Git repository:
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:70

> > > On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 2:44:01 AM UTC-8, Cooke, Mark wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Browsing #12130 [1] it looks like there has been some great progress with
> > > a python 3 version.
> > >
> > > Is it ready for people to start trying it out? I am happy with a buggy
> > > version if I can try / test and report issues.
> > >
> > > I am under pressure to upgrade the python version on our host server...
> > >
> > > [1] https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130
> > >
> > > With best regards,
> > >
> > > ~ Mark C
> >

> > I wouldn't run it in production yet, but if you can upgrade a staging
> > site, test it and report issues, that would help.
> >
> > We'll also need to test plugins, and nearly every plugin will need at
> > least a few modifications to work with python3. Only these have been
> > tested so far:
> > https://trac-hacks.org/tags/python3?wiki=on
> >
> > - Ryan
>
> Where is the best place to get the source? The links for 1.5.x here:
>
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#LatestDevRelease
>
> are all named with 1.3.6 and the box here
>
> https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#AbouttheprerequisitesforTrac1
> .5.x
>
> still mentions python 2.7. The changesets in the ticket look like git
> rather than subversion?
>
> ~ Mark C
>

> Latest changes are in Jun's Git repository:
> https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:70

Hmm, when I try to access the URL Chrome says:
{{{
This svn.edgewall.org page can’t be found
No web page was found for the web address: https://svn.edgewall.org/git/trac/devs/jomae
}}}
...do I need a trac.edgewall login to access that?

~ Mark C

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 11:35 PM Cooke, Mark <

To view through the web:
https://trac.edgewall.org/browser/jomae.git

And you can git clone it:

$ git clone https://svn.edgewall.org/git/trac/devs/jomae

- Ryan

RE: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
Ref: access to Trac py3 source:

> To view through the web:
> https://trac.edgewall.org/browser/jomae.git
>
> And you can git clone it:
>
> $ git clone https://svn.edgewall.org/git/trac/devs/jomae
>
> - Ryan

Thanks for clarifying Ryan! I will try this out...

~ Mark C

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:29:33 AM UTC-8 Cooke, Mark wrote:

> Ref: access to Trac py3 source:
>
> > To view through the web:
> > https://trac.edgewall.org/browser/jomae.git
> >
> > And you can git clone it:
> >
> > $ git clone https://svn.edgewall.org/git/trac/devs/jomae
> >
> > - Ryan
>
> Thanks for clarifying Ryan! I will try this out...
>
> ~ Mark C

Latest status here: https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:101

I hope we can release soon!

- Ryan

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
Hi all.

any updates on this?

BR.
Gabriel

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 9:02:15 PM UTC-7 RjOllos wrote:

> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 7:33:01 AM UTC-7 gfalc...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> any updates on this?
>>
>> BR.
>> Gabriel
>>

> https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:101

Sorry for the delay. I'm aiming to release 1.5.2 with Python 3 support on
Saturday.
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:104

Ryan

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
Nice. Now I just have to migrate from 1.0.1 ????

--
Christopher Nelson, PE
Professional Software Engineer

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 11:51:06 AM UTC-8 RjOllos wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 9:02:15 PM UTC-7 RjOllos wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 7:33:01 AM UTC-7 gfalc...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> any updates on this?
>>>
>>> BR.
>>> Gabriel
>>>

>> https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:101
>>

> Sorry for the delay. I'm aiming to release 1.5.2 with Python 3 support on
> Saturday.
> https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:104
>
> Ryan

Changes are on trunk now. The 1.5.2 release should be available this
weekend.

Ryan

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 7:16:34 PM UTC-8 Chris Nelson wrote:

> Nice. Now I just have to migrate from 1.0.1 ????

I've been working with someone that was on Trac 1.0.9. They have about 15
plugins and some template customizations, so upgrading is difficult. My
plan is to proceed:

1.0.9 -> 1.0.20 -> 1.2.6 -> 1.4.3 -> 1.6

So far we've moved from 1.0.9 to 1.0.20, but also put ourselves in a much
better position for the next upgrade by saving diffs of the template
customizations and dropping some unneeded plugins.

Let me know if you need any pointers for proceeding with your upgrade.

Ryan

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
Hi all.

I'm planning the migration to python3. I would be grateful if you share
with us the planned date to launch a stable version of TRAC with python3
support.

Best Regards.
Gabriel

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 7:18:33 AM UTC-8 gfalc...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm planning the migration to python3. I would be grateful if you share
> with us the planned date to launch a stable version of TRAC with python3
> support.
>
> Best Regards.
> Gabriel

Outlined here:
https://groups.google.com/g/trac-dev/c/qPf4k35rZ9I

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
Hi all.

Any updates about the new Trac 1.6 (Python3 support) release dates?

BR.
Gabriel

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 10:24:13 AM UTC-8 gfalc...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Any updates about the new Trac 1.6 (Python3 support) release dates?
>
> BR.
> Gabriel

We are aiming to release soon:
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/13333#comment:7

We would benefit from more testing and feedback, in case more issues like
this are found:
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/13336

Ryan

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
Is the branch 1.5-py3-tidylib.8 commit cd371a6 in
https://svn.edgewall.org/git/trac/devs/jomae the best point for testing
1.5.x/Python3 version?

Thanks

Re: Re: Progress with Python 3? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:34 AM emecas <emecas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the branch 1.5-py3-tidylib.8 commit cd371a6 in
> https://svn.edgewall.org/git/trac/devs/jomae the best point for testing
> 1.5.x/Python3 version?
>

> Thanks
>
> Emerson

The Python3 changes are in Trac 1.5.2:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#LatestDevRelease

There have been some minor changes on the trunk since then, so testing from
the trunk would be helpful as well.

Ryan