I realize that this is not new information. And I am guessing that any needed changes for Python 3 are finding their way in to Trac.

My question is: how far is Trac from working in a Python 3 environment? I guess the same question can be asked for all the Trac extensions. But I guess that’s a more difficult thing to assess. So, how about Trac itself and the core packages required to run Trac?

Roger

Re: Python 3 [ In reply to ]
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 11:10:31 PM UTC-7, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> OpenSUSE keep announcing that when Python < 2 is no longer maintained
> (coming soon), support for such apps will be dropped. I am guessing other
> Linux distributions will be doing something similar. Mainly because of the
> general lack of interest by those supporting Python in the various
> distributions.
>
> As Trac relies on numerous Python packages, this effects the ability to
> maintain Trac in these environments.
>
> I realize that this is not new information. And I am guessing that any
> needed changes for Python 3 are finding their way in to Trac.
>
> My question is: how far is Trac from working in a Python 3 environment? I
> guess the same question can be asked for all the Trac extensions. But I
> guess that’s a more difficult thing to assess. So, how about Trac itself
> and the core packages required to run Trac?
>
> Roger

We've made a lot of changes to move towards Python3. Everything that's
relatively easy has been done. The remaining work is encoding/decoding to
adapt to the Python3 API. But first we have to get Trac 1.4 released. After
that I need to spend a day to assess where we are at, assuming another dev
doesn't take the lead on that.

Also the Subversion binding we are using don't support Python 3 yet.

https://trac.edgewall.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~python3&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

- Ryan

Re: Python 3 [ In reply to ]
On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 5:17:28 PM UTC-7, Gabriel Falconieri wrote:

> Hi. RjOllos.
>
> Could you please provide a forecast about when we will have a Trac version
> compatible with Python 3?
> I'm afraid because there are security issues detected on python 2.7
> without a solution. Whereas no solution was built until now for Python 2.7,
> I don't know how to proceed.

I hope we can have it in 1.5.2, soon. Keep an eye on:
https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130
<https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:88>

Re: Python 3 [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 6:24:15 PM UTC-7, RjOllos wrote:

> On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 5:17:28 PM UTC-7, Gabriel Falconieri wrote:
>>
>> Hi. RjOllos.
>>
>> Could you please provide a forecast about when we will have a Trac
>> version compatible with Python 3?
>> I'm afraid because there are security issues detected on python 2.7
>> without a solution. Whereas no solution was built until now for Python 2.7,
>> I don't know how to proceed.
>>

> I hope we can have it in 1.5.2, soon. Keep an eye on:
> https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130
> <https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12130#comment:88>

Need to get all tests passing and still hoping to have work committed by
the end of the month.

Please post further inquiries to this thread rather than creating a new
thread.

Re: Re: Python 3 [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry for my confusion.
It's very good to know. We have been using TRAC with many plugins in our
Company for years.
These plugins were developed by our own programmers in order to automate
our process. We are anxious to be able to upgrade to Python 3 despite the
effort we will need to put to change our source code to make it Python 3
compliant.

BR.
Gabriel