and a bootable USB HDD. On both USB devices I had UBCD4Win installed
and working. That is, before I install syslinux (using w32
syslinux.exe) I can boot from the USB device into UBCD4Win. More
importantly, the keyboard does respond during this initial boot process
- i.e. I can do a C-A-D to interrupt the boot and/or UBCD4Win load
process. Once I install syslinux the keyboard longer works - at the
syslinux or even until UBCD4Win is almost completely loaded.

Thanks, Ro
Re: syslinux 3.61 keyboard not responding issue [ In reply to ]
Thompson, Roland G wrote:
> Has anyone experienced the following issue and / or direct me to a
> solution.
>
> I install syslinux v3.61 onto my USB boot device. When I boot that USB
> device the keyboard does not respond at the syslinux menu. So I either
> have to power cycle the system to reboot or wait until the default menu
> action (boot into UBCD4Win) occurs before I can use the keyboard.
>
> I am using syslinux-3.61 on a WinXP system to build a bootable USB key
> and a bootable USB HDD. On both USB devices I had UBCD4Win installed
> and working. That is, before I install syslinux (using w32
> syslinux.exe) I can boot from the USB device into UBCD4Win. More
> importantly, the keyboard does respond during this initial boot process
> - i.e. I can do a C-A-D to interrupt the boot and/or UBCD4Win load
> process. Once I install syslinux the keyboard longer works - at the
> syslinux or even until UBCD4Win is almost completely loaded.

Could you give as much details as possible about your BIOS and the rest
of your system?

This is a particularly interesting bug report, because it only happens
to syslinux, which means it might be resolvable. Something that would
be interesting is knowing the following: if you hold down the Shift key
before syslinux boot:

a) do you get to a command prompt?
b) can you type at the command prompt?

-hpa

Re: syslinux 3.61 keyboard not responding issue [ In reply to ]
System is:
Dell OptiPlex GX620 w/Intel Pentium D
BIOS version is A11 (latest available)

Yes, if I hold down shift key before syslinux boots I get a boot:
command prompt and I can type at it.

Would it make any difference to update to syslinux 3.62 since it was
just released?

Thanks,
Roland.....

Re: syslinux 3.61 keyboard not responding issue [ In reply to ]
Thompson, Roland G wrote:
> System is:
> Dell OptiPlex GX620 w/Intel Pentium D
> BIOS version is A11 (latest available)
>
> Yes, if I hold down shift key before syslinux boots I get a boot:
> command prompt and I can type at it.
>
> Would it make any difference to update to syslinux 3.62 since it was
> just released?

Ah, it's the OptiPlex from hell. You need to downgrade your BIOS to
version A10.

-hpa