Is there any chance to get NetBSD kernel support in syslinux?

http://gzp.hu/gzpBSD/20080226/netbsd.gzpBSD-ER.gz

Thats kernel bootable via grub, but I would like to switch to extlinux. ;-)

Re: NetBSD kernel support [ In reply to ]
Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
> Is there any chance to get NetBSD kernel support in syslinux?
>
> http://gzp.hu/gzpBSD/20080226/netbsd.gzpBSD-ER.gz
>
> Thats kernel bootable via grub, but I would like to switch to extlinux. ;-)

Looks like a MultiBoot-format image, so you can boot it with mboot.c32:

label netbsd
kernel mboot.c32
append netbsd.gzpBSD-ER

-hpa

Re: NetBSD kernel support [ In reply to ]
* "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>:

| > http://gzp.hu/gzpBSD/20080226/netbsd.gzpBSD-ER.gz

| Looks like a MultiBoot-format image, so you can boot it with mboot.c32:

| label netbsd
| kernel mboot.c32
| append netbsd.gzpBSD-ER

Ungzipped? Grub able to boot it in gzipped format.

Re: NetBSD kernel support [ In reply to ]
Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
> * "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>:
>
> | > http://gzp.hu/gzpBSD/20080226/netbsd.gzpBSD-ER.gz
>
> | Looks like a MultiBoot-format image, so you can boot it with mboot.c32:
>
> | label netbsd
> | kernel mboot.c32
> | append netbsd.gzpBSD-ER
>
> Ungzipped? Grub able to boot it in gzipped format.

It wouldn't be particularly hard to add decompression support, but it's
not there at the moment.

-hpa

Re: NetBSD kernel support [ In reply to ]
* "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>:

| > Ungzipped? Grub able to boot it in gzipped format.

| It wouldn't be particularly hard to add decompression support, but it's
| not there at the moment.

Could you please add it to your TODO list? :-)

Re: NetBSD kernel support [ In reply to ]
Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
> * "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>:
>
> | > Ungzipped? Grub able to boot it in gzipped format.
>
> | It wouldn't be particularly hard to add decompression support, but it's
> | not there at the moment.
>
> Could you please add it to your TODO list? :-)

Already halfway done with the implementation (it will go on the "nolen"
branch, since it is yet another case of not knowing the length beforehand.)

-hpa

Re: NetBSD kernel support [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Gabor Z. Papp wrote:

>> | It wouldn't be particularly hard to add decompression support, but it's
>> | not there at the moment.
>>
>> Could you please add it to your TODO list? :-)
>
> Already halfway done with the implementation (it will go on the "nolen"
> branch, since it is yet another case of not knowing the length beforehand.)

Turns out I was wrong; mboot.c32 already handles compressed images.

-hpa

Re: NetBSD kernel support [ In reply to ]
* "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>:

| > Already halfway done with the implementation (it will go on the "nolen"
| > branch, since it is yet another case of not knowing the length beforehand.)

| Turns out I was wrong; mboot.c32 already handles compressed images.

After uncompressing the kernel the system reboots. Tried on several
different machines.

Re: NetBSD kernel support [ In reply to ]
Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
> * "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>:
>
> | > Already halfway done with the implementation (it will go on the "nolen"
> | > branch, since it is yet another case of not knowing the length beforehand.)
>
> | Turns out I was wrong; mboot.c32 already handles compressed images.
>
> After uncompressing the kernel the system reboots. Tried on several
> different machines.

So it seems to. Somewhat hard for me to know what the exact problem is,
since I don't know NetBSD internals, and I didn't write mboot.c32, but
I'll try to look at it.

Any help would be appreciated, of course.

Personally, I'd like to have a rewritten mboot.c32 which uses the
shuffle APIs, like elf.c32.

-hpa