Mailing List Archive

question about extlinux.conf on flashstick with ext2
Hi ,
I ve tested the pclinux minime on usb 1Gb and later 8Gb, with fat32 and syslinux boot , works splendid in Ram , and persistant saves on stick..
Now i want to try extlinux-boot with ext2 or 3 on the usb.
With ext3 , i get constantly bumped to commandline, where i could type in the vmlinuz and initrd paths , but it cant make the loop-file of minime work..so it gets little panic :*
But it wont read the extlinux.conf in /boot/extlinux on sda1
With ext2 somehow it reads and finds the extlinux.conf - but after
vmlinuz and initrd - it bumps back to reboot...

Done in short steps with other linux boot, where sdb1 is the usbflash:

mkdir /mnt/sdb1/boot/extlinux
xxx/extlinux361/extlinux# extlinux --install /mnt/sdb1/boot/extlinux
umount /mnt/sdb1
xxx/extlinux361/mbr# cat mbr.bin > /dev/sdb
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

edit and save a /mnt/sdb1/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf (last version) :
default liveusb
prompt 1
timeout 50
label liveusb
kernel ../vmlinuz
append livecd=../livecd initrd=../initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 vga=788 keyb=us bootfrom=/dev/sda1 changes=/dev/sda1/changes fromusb

edit:
*livecd= , *root= , *bootfrom= , **changes= , **fromusb comes from syslinux.cfg
and
*partly worked in ext3 different commandline-tryouts , but all ended shortly after the loopfile

It feels like this extlinux.conf is kinda right way - but can i get further? with minime and ext2 /3 and the livecd.sqfs it uses ?
/greetings - halfnewbie Gene

Re: question about extlinux.conf on flashstick with ext2 [ In reply to ]
g3a no1 wrote:
> Hi ,
> I ve tested the pclinux minime on usb 1Gb and later 8Gb, with fat32 and syslinux boot , works splendid in Ram , and persistant saves on stick..
> Now i want to try extlinux-boot with ext2 or 3 on the usb.
> With ext3 , i get constantly bumped to commandline, where i could type in the vmlinuz and initrd paths , but it cant make the loop-file of minime work..so it gets little panic :*
> But it wont read the extlinux.conf in /boot/extlinux on sda1

That's somewhat odd. When you say "wont read", can you explain what
happens? Is the right partition set active?

> With ext2 somehow it reads and finds the extlinux.conf - but after
> vmlinuz and initrd - it bumps back to reboot...

You get bumped to the command line because you have "prompt 1" in your
config file, I presume you already realized that.

Your command line is full of arguments which appear specific to your
distribution (minime, I guess), including stuff like /dev/rd/3 which is
old devfs syntax.

I don't think what you're having here is a syslinux problem, as it
appears to bootstrap everything.and I don't know if you'll find anyone
on the list familiar with your specific distribution. You might want to
ask in a minime forum.

-hpa