Hello all,

I have just released SYSLINUX 3.62-pre13, and have decided to move it to
release candidate status. I have some pretty massive changes in mind
coming up, but I really want to get the improvements in the current 3.62
series out before breaking it all.

So please, test it out, especially the new menu features, and tell me
just how broken it is.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.62-pre13, release candidate [ In reply to ]
Do you have a sample config using the new menus you can share? I
looked at the menu.doc but did not see an example, just some
explanations of individual commands.

Re: SYSLINUX 3.62-pre13, release candidate [ In reply to ]
BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> Do you have a sample config using the new menus you can share? I
> looked at the menu.doc but did not see an example, just some
> explanations of individual commands.

Here are a couple of excerpts from my config... sorry, don't have time
to do anything more right now... (it's late here)

Please ignore the line wrapping...

[...]

label local
menu label ^Local boot
localboot 0
menu default

menu begin fedora
menu label Fedora Network Install

menu background purpleflowers.jpg
menu color title 1;35;44 #c0f090f0 #00000000 std

label fc8-32
menu label Fedora Core 8 Install i386
kernel linux.c32
append fedora/8/i386/vmlinuz initrd=fedora/8/i386/initrd.img
ramdisk_size=8192
ks=http://raidtest.hos.anvin.org/kickstart/ks.php?arch=i386&ver=8
ipappend 2

label fc8-64
menu label Fedora Core ^8 Install x86-64
kernel linux.c32
append fedora/8/x86-64/vmlinuz
initrd=fedora/8/x86-64/initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192
ks=http://raidtest.hos.anvin.org/kickstart/ks.php?arch=x86_64&ver=8
ipappend 2

menu end

[...]

menu begin huge
menu label Really huge menu

label -
menu label Goto ^top menu
menu goto .top

label -
menu label Goto ^Fedora menu
menu goto fedora

label -
menu label ^Up one level
menu exit

label -
menu label ^Quit to the CLI
menu quit

[...]

menu end

Re: SYSLINUX 3.62-pre13, release candidate [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the sample. Now for a report of successful testing.

I tested a sub-menu and it worked well for me. In I used vesamenu and
syslinux-3.62-pre13:

menu begin
menu end
menu exit
menu quit

and all items had help text. Everything worked well. This is on a
Plextor PX-W4012S CD burner connected to Adaptec AIC-7892A U160/m (rev
02) controller (machine has only SCSI, no IDE). I'm so happy the
3.6X series will work on that machine again (the ones after 3.1X did
not, and I thought the drive was just dead since it is old). I assume
others have already reported IDE and SATA succes? I can test those
tomorrow if you want that.

The updated menu.doc showed 'LABEL -' which fixed my previous problem
where I used 'LABEL' alone and got syntax errors.

This new system looks great and is much easer (for me) than multiple
files with includes.

Thanks!

Re: SYSLINUX 3.62-pre13, release candidate [ In reply to ]
firefox+gmail ate one line, see inline....

On 2/22/08, BuraphaLinux Server <buraphalinuxserver@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the sample. Now for a report of successful testing.
>
> I tested a sub-menu and it worked well for me. In I used vesamenu and
> syslinux-3.62-pre13:

I used the following commands:

Re: SYSLINUX 3.62-pre13, release candidate [ In reply to ]
>>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 1:20 AM, in message <47BE85C2.3080208@zytor.com>, "H.
Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
>> Do you have a sample config using the new menus you can share? I
>> looked at the menu.doc but did not see an example, just some
>> explanations of individual commands.
>
> Here are a couple of excerpts from my config... sorry, don't have time
> to do anything more right now... (it's late here)
>
> Please ignore the line wrapping...
>
> [...]
>
> label local
> menu label ^Local boot
> localboot 0
> menu default
>
> menu begin fedora
> menu label Fedora Network Install
>
> menu background purpleflowers.jpg
> menu color title 1;35;44 #c0f090f0 #00000000 std
>
> label fc8-32
> menu label Fedora Core 8 Install i386
> kernel linux.c32
> append fedora/8/i386/vmlinuz initrd=fedora/8/i386/initrd.img
> ramdisk_size=8192
> ks=http://raidtest.hos.anvin.org/kickstart/ks.php?arch=i386&ver=8
> ipappend 2
>
> label fc8-64
> menu label Fedora Core ^8 Install x86-64
> kernel linux.c32
> append fedora/8/x86-64/vmlinuz
> initrd=fedora/8/x86-64/initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192
> ks=http://raidtest.hos.anvin.org/kickstart/ks.php?arch=x86_64&ver=8
> ipappend 2
>
> menu end
>
> [...]
>

> menu begin huge
> menu label Really huge menu
>
> label -
> menu label Goto ^top menu
> menu goto .top
>
> label -
> menu label Goto ^Fedora menu
> menu goto fedora
>
> label -
> menu label ^Up one level
> menu exit
>
> label -
> menu label ^Quit to the CLI
> menu quit
>
> [...]
>
> menu end

Excellent work! I really like the new menu system. It completely solves my problem of not having the labels from the submenus available at the CLI. Thank you so much.

One minor thing I noticed that may need tweaked is the use of the caret (^) in the menu label to set a hot key works well on the main menu, but when the same MENU LABEL statement is used as the title text for the submenu, the caret is displayed as part of the title text.

I'll keep playing with it for a bit as I re-write my menu tree in this new format. I'll post any other findings.

Again, great work.
-Bryan

Re: SYSLINUX 3.62-pre13, release candidate [ In reply to ]
Bryan Perry wrote:

> Excellent work! I really like the new menu system. It completely solves my problem of not having the labels from the submenus available at the CLI. Thank you so much.
>
> One minor thing I noticed that may need tweaked is the use of the caret (^) in the menu label to set a hot key works well on the main menu, but when the same MENU LABEL statement is used as the title text for the submenu, the caret is displayed as part of the title text.
>
> I'll keep playing with it for a bit as I re-write my menu tree in this new format. I'll post any other findings.

Not just that, but hotkeys on submenus were in fact totally broken.

Just fixed; uploading 3.62-pre14 now.

-hpa