It would allow one to boot this combination, and if possible the linux kernel/initrd (assuming we have busybox in there) would not have to run udhcp and instead leverage what pxe stack information is loaded. The problem is I don't know of any PXE/UNDI linux utilities to look at the pxe information. I'm curious how a dos image accesses this information.

Thanks for any insight and sorry if I'm way off base in thinking of being able to use keeppxe.

-cdm

Re: keeppxe and using a linux vmlinuz/initrd [ In reply to ]
Maestas, Christopher Daniel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone thought about how one could use the "keeppxe" option with a vmlinuz/initrd?
>
> It would allow one to boot this combination, and if possible the linux kernel/initrd (assuming we have busybox in there) would not have to run udhcp and instead leverage what pxe stack information is loaded. The problem is I don't know of any PXE/UNDI linux utilities to look at the pxe information. I'm curious how a dos image accesses this information.
>
> Thanks for any insight and sorry if I'm way off base in thinking of being able to use keeppxe.

The old Intel "Linux PXE SDK" has some patches for this... they're
really quite ugly and were never integrated.

-hpa

Re: keeppxe and using a linux vmlinuz/initrd [ In reply to ]
Hello cdm,

* Maestas, Christopher Daniel <cdmaest@sandia.gov> [20080221 20:10]:
> Has anyone thought about how one could use the "keeppxe" option with a vmlinuz/initrd?
>
> It would allow one to boot this combination, and if possible the linux kernel/initrd (assuming we have busybox in there) would not have to run udhcp and instead leverage what pxe stack information is loaded. The problem is I don't know of any PXE/UNDI linux utilities to look at the pxe information. I'm curious how a dos image accesses this information.
>
> Thanks for any insight and sorry if I'm way off base in thinking of being able to use keeppxe.

if figure what you're searching is something like IPAPPEND, but please
see hpa's comments on this on http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php

Br,

Andreas

--
flatline IT services - Andreas Kotes - Tailored solutions for your IT needs

Re: keeppxe and using a linux vmlinuz/initrd [ In reply to ]
Andreas Kotes wrote:
> Hello cdm,
>
> * Maestas, Christopher Daniel <cdmaest@sandia.gov> [20080221 20:10]:
>> Has anyone thought about how one could use the "keeppxe" option with a vmlinuz/initrd?
>>
>> It would allow one to boot this combination, and if possible the linux kernel/initrd (assuming we have busybox in there) would not have to run udhcp and instead leverage what pxe stack information is loaded. The problem is I don't know of any PXE/UNDI linux utilities to look at the pxe information. I'm curious how a dos image accesses this information.
>>
>> Thanks for any insight and sorry if I'm way off base in thinking of being able to use keeppxe.
>
> if figure what you're searching is something like IPAPPEND, but please
> see hpa's comments on this on http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php

Indeed, since you will not be renewing DHCP leases.

-hpa

Re: keeppxe and using a linux vmlinuz/initrd [ In reply to ]
Excellent!

This is exactly what we're looking for.
Now we can have the initramfs(busybox) read /proc/cmdline and set the ip that way.

-cdm

Re: keeppxe and using a linux vmlinuz/initrd [ In reply to ]
Hello,

* Maestas, Christopher Daniel <cdmaest@sandia.gov> [20080221 22:45]:
> Excellent!
>
> This is exactly what we're looking for.
> Now we can have the initramfs(busybox) read /proc/cmdline and set the ip that way.

argh. it's already set at that moment!!!

please do read the manuals.

and if you're using busybox anyway, use the udhcpcd included - it does
all the necessary stuff, like caring about leases. really.

hpa - could you extend the FAQ entry a bit in that regard?

Andreas

--
flatline IT services - Andreas Kotes - Tailored solutions for your IT needs

Re: keeppxe and using a linux vmlinuz/initrd [ In reply to ]
Andreas Kotes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * Maestas, Christopher Daniel <cdmaest@sandia.gov> [20080221 22:45]:
>> Excellent!
>>
>> This is exactly what we're looking for.
>> Now we can have the initramfs(busybox) read /proc/cmdline and set the ip that way.
>
> argh. it's already set at that moment!!!
>
> please do read the manuals.
>
> and if you're using busybox anyway, use the udhcpcd included - it does
> all the necessary stuff, like caring about leases. really.
>
> hpa - could you extend the FAQ entry a bit in that regard?

Perhaps you could submit a patch against doc/syslinux.doc?

-hpa