Mailing List Archive

isolinux not booting - old 486 with SCSI CD writer
I am trying to install Debian Linux on an an old Intel Classic R+ computer that
uses an internal Yamaha SCSI CD writer model CRW8424S connected to an Adaptec
ISA SCSI card (I think its a 1542CP). The CD writer is is the only device
connected to the SCSI card. The computer has one hard drive connected to the
on-board IDE interface, a 1.44MB 3 1/2 inch floppy and a 1.2MB 5 1/4 inch floppy.
The hard drive is 1.6GB and contains EZ-Drive as the BIOS only supports drives
up to 500MB approx. However, EZ-Drive only loads when booting from hard drive.

During the boot the following messsages were output by the Adaptec BIOS
Press ^A for SCSISelect(TM) Utility!>>>
SCSI ID #1 - Yamaha CRW8424S
A BOOTABLE CD-ROM IS DETECTED IN YOUR CDROM DRIVE.
The boot sections on your bootable CD-ROM are:
0. DEFAULT ENTRY
YOUR CD-ROM DRIVE IS INSERTED AS - DRIVE D:(81h)
BIOS Installed Successfully.

Once the BIOS had finished I received the following messages
ISOLINUX 3.51 2007-06-10 isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it.
isolinux: Found something at drive = 81
isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed.
See http://syslinux.zytor.com/sbm for more information.

The Microsoft Windows 98SE installation CD does boot on this computer.

I downloaded syslinux-3.61 and made a CD that used the debug version. The messages
from this were
ISOLINUX 3.61 2008-02-03 Copyright (c) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
isolinux: Starting up, DL = 01
isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it...
isolinux: Trying BrokenAwardHack first ...
isolinux: BAH: Original Int 13 vector : DC002343
isolinux: BAH: FAILURE
isolinux: Found something at drive = 81
isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed.
See http://syslinux.zytor.com/sbm for more information.

Having found the “El Torito” Bootable CD-ROM Format Specification
http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/98D3219C-9CC9-4DF5-B496-A286D893E36A/0/specscdrom.pdf
I made changes to isolinux.asm to display the spec packet and accept drive 81h.
I've attached a diff of my changes.

Using the changed isolinux (again debug version) the last few lines were
isolinux: Found something at drive = 81
13 00 00 00 00000047 01 00 0000 0000 0004 57 A0 3F 00
isolinux: Loading main image from LBA = 00000048
isolinux: Sectors to load = 0006

The computer then sits there continuously accessing the CD drive.
The computer did reboot when Ctrl-Alt-Del was pressed.

I tried again. This time I ejected the CD when the computer was
continuously accessing the CD drive. This resulted in the following message
isolinux: Disk error 80, AX = 420081

I don't have time to continue at the moment. Does any one have any good
references on the BIOS functions used or suggestions as to how to continue
when I do have time.
Re: isolinux not booting - old 486 with SCSI CD writer [ In reply to ]
Bruce Robson wrote:

> The Microsoft Windows 98SE installation CD does boot on this computer.

But not the Windows 2000 CD, I bet.

I think you have one of the old machines which only could boot from a CD
in floppy emulation mode. Those will not work with isolinux (without
SBM), but you can create a floppy image using SYSLINUX and boot it.

There were a lot of such crappy bioses until Microsoft started using El
Torito native mode, at which point they quickly got fixed.

-hpa

Re: isolinux not booting - old 486 with SCSI CD writer [ In reply to ]
Bruce Robson wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian Linux on an an old Intel Classic R+
> computer that uses an internal Yamaha SCSI CD writer model CRW8424S
> connected to an Adaptec ISA SCSI card (I think its a 1542CP).
> The CD writer is is the only device connected to the SCSI card.
> The computer has one hard drive connected to the on-board IDE
> interface, a 1.44MB 3 1/2 inch floppy and a 1.2MB 5 1/4 inch
> floppy. The hard drive is 1.6GB and contains EZ-Drive as the
> BIOS only supports drives up to 500MB approx. However,
> EZ-Drive only loads when booting from hard drive.

<snip>
> Using the changed isolinux (again debug version) the last few lines were
> isolinux: Found something at drive = 81
> 13 00 00 00 00000047 01 00 0000 0000 0004 57 A0 3F 00
> isolinux: Loading main image from LBA = 00000048
> isolinux: Sectors to load = 0006
>
> The computer then sits there continuously accessing the CD drive.
<snip>
> I don't have time to continue at the moment. Does any one have any good
> references on the BIOS functions used or suggestions as to how to continue
> when I do have time.

I found that the problem that caused the computer to sit there
continuously accessing the CD drive was that all the extra
print code I inserted meant that variable MaxTransfer was
no longer in the first 2k. Hence it did not get initialised.

Now that I have removed the code to print the spec packet,
my modified isolinux based on syslinux-3.61 works.

I've attached a diff of my changes. The first two changed
lines fix a comment and the 13 v 13h bug I raised in another
thread. The remaining changes fix my initial problem of
isolinux not finding my CD drive.
Re: isolinux not booting - old 486 with SCSI CD writer [ In reply to ]
> I've attached a diff of my changes. The first two changed
> lines fix a comment and the 13 v 13h bug I raised in another
> thread. The remaining changes fix my initial problem of
> isolinux not finding my CD drive.

Peter,

Will you be changing your future isolinux releases so that it
works on my hardware?

i.e. if when scanning drives numbers you find one that returns a
spec packet which doesn't have the sp_drive field set, accept the
drive number if it matches the drive initially passed in dl OR 80h.

Bruce

p.s. I see from http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=shortlog
that you've done the 13 to 13h change.

Re: isolinux not booting - old 486 with SCSI CD writer [ In reply to ]
Bruce Robson wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Will you be changing your future isolinux releases so that it
> works on my hardware?
>
> i.e. if when scanning drives numbers you find one that returns a
> spec packet which doesn't have the sp_drive field set, accept the
> drive number if it matches the drive initially passed in dl OR 80h.
>
> Bruce

I need to think through the implications of the patch; I should have
some time to do that today. If I don't find any gotchas (as in, would
break other systems) I'll probably put it in the next prerelease, and
testing would be appreciated.

-hpa

Re: isolinux not booting - old 486 with SCSI CD writer [ In reply to ]
Bruce Robson wrote:

> I made changes to isolinux.asm to display the spec packet and accept
> drive 81h.
> I've attached a diff of my changes.

Could you re-send this as a unified diff (diff -u)?

-hpa

Re: isolinux not booting - old 486 with SCSI CD writer [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Bruce Robson wrote:
>> I made changes to isolinux.asm to display the spec packet and accept
>> drive 81h.
>> I've attached a diff of my changes.
>>

> Could you re-send this as a unified diff (diff -u)?

Nevermind. I got it sorted out and included it in 3.62-pre9.

-hpa