Mailing List Archive

problem solved (was: isolinux problem: recent kernel versions vs. old hardware)
* Michael Prokop <news@michael-prokop.at> [20080213 12:30]:

> recent isolinux versions work fine with current linux kernels on
> current hardware. But on older hardware there isn't a bootsplash
> visible at all - like if there isn't a CD in the tray. :(
[...]

Alright, looks like we¹ located the problem: the /boot/isolinux/
directory seems to be too big for older systems. It was about 12MB
of space. Now I've minimized the content of /boot/isolinux/ and
isolinux version 3.61 seems to work fine on older hardware again.

HPA, do you have any idea for the reason of this problem? Maybe this
could be mentioned somewhere in the docs, so other users don't fall
into this trap?

¹ Credits for testing to Andrea Mayr and Wernfried Haas.

thx && regards,
-mika-
--
,'"`. http://www.michael-prokop.at/
( grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins
Re: problem solved [ In reply to ]
Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Michael Prokop <news@michael-prokop.at> [20080213 12:30]:
>
>> recent isolinux versions work fine with current linux kernels on
>> current hardware. But on older hardware there isn't a bootsplash
>> visible at all - like if there isn't a CD in the tray. :(
> [...]
>
> Alright, looks like we¹ located the problem: the /boot/isolinux/
> directory seems to be too big for older systems. It was about 12MB
> of space. Now I've minimized the content of /boot/isolinux/ and
> isolinux version 3.61 seems to work fine on older hardware again.
>
> HPA, do you have any idea for the reason of this problem? Maybe this
> could be mentioned somewhere in the docs, so other users don't fall
> into this trap?
>
> ¹ Credits for testing to Andrea Mayr and Wernfried Haas.

It's a well-known issue that the boot catalog and boot file might have
to be early on in the disk for old systems to work right. I believe I
have mentioned using the mkisofs -sort option to make that happen.

-hpa

Re: problem solved [ In reply to ]
* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> [20080215 19:44]:
> Michael Prokop wrote:

> > Alright, looks like we¹ located the problem: the /boot/isolinux/
> > directory seems to be too big for older systems. It was about 12MB
> > of space. Now I've minimized the content of /boot/isolinux/ and
> > isolinux version 3.61 seems to work fine on older hardware again.

> > HPA, do you have any idea for the reason of this problem? Maybe this
> > could be mentioned somewhere in the docs, so other users don't fall
> > into this trap?

> It's a well-known issue that the boot catalog and boot file might
> have to be early on in the disk for old systems to work right.

Ahhhh, ok. Thanks for information.

> I believe I have mentioned using the mkisofs -sort option to make
> that happen.

It was new to me, but thanks for mentioning that.

regards,
-mika-
Re: problem solved [ In reply to ]
Michael Prokop wrote:

>> It's a well-known issue that the boot catalog and boot file might
>> have to be early on in the disk for old systems to work right.
>
> Ahhhh, ok. Thanks for information.
>
>> I believe I have mentioned using the mkisofs -sort option to make
>> that happen.
>
> It was new to me, but thanks for mentioning that.

Did that work for you?

-hpa