Mailing List Archive

ISOLINUX versions 3.36 and 3.53 can't boot VIA EPIA CL Motherboard, version 3.31 can
Hi,

I'm using Kubuntu and have a problem with the ISOLINUX CDROM booter
with versions used since (K)Ubuntu 7.04.

The ISOLINUX booter versions 3.36 and 3.53 do not boot my motherboard.
The version shipped with Ubuntu 7.04 is I believe ISOLINUX 3.31 but
it displays for such a short time I could be wrong. I'm writing to
this mail list in case the original Ubuntu bug report never made it
back to the developer. Full details on the problem are here:

Booting from image downloaded from here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/hardy/alpha-4/hardy-desktop-i386.iso

I get error message on my PC:

This is the CD boot loader we're talking about here not kubuntu itself

I insert "HardyHeron/Alpha4 for i386" CD into Via EPIA PC.

Power On PC:

. . . BIOS / Memory blah things . . .

PCI device listing . . .
. . . blah . . .

Verifying DMI Pool Data . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . blah . . .

Boot from CD :
ISOLINUX 3.53 Debian-2007-12-11 Copyright (C) 1994-2007 H. Peter Anvin

Nothing else.

The VIA EPIA CL spec is here:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=181
and it has 512MB RAM of which 64MB used for video

This behaviour was previously reported with a previous version of
ISOLINUX with kubuntu 7.10RC(1) for i386 - please see bug #152257 for
details:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/152257

Keep up the good work Peter!

Regards,