Mailing List Archive

[Fwd: Re: extlinux reports "./extlinux: path /media/disk doesn't match device /dev/sda4"]
The problem as I view it, lies in specifying a
directory rather than a drive ( /mnt/.. or /media..
instead of /dev/sdb.. or /dev/sdc.. ).

If, for instance, /dev/sdb1 is in fact mounted to
/media/disk all is fine. If the path exists and is not
a mountpoint ( /dev/sd... not
mounted to it ), then extlinux will set the system
disk as base for the directory. ( i.e. /media/disk =
/dev/sda4 in my setup ), at this
point no user acknowledgment is required, but BR
modified and extlinux.sys written to /media/disk.

TODO: run a few tests with hpa's extlinux to verify.

DONE: ./extlinux -i /media will in fact write to
/dev/sda4 if /dev/sdb1 is not mounted here.

Attached find a patch to /extlinux/extlinux.c which
gets along without expecting a special directory for
mounting the device to be made bootable.

The idea is, that the root directory "/" will always
be on the system disk, so I just added a pass to find
the "devname" belonging to "/" then
proceeding as normal. If the devnames for "/" and the
target directory match, extlinux aborts indicating
this fact.

The programming isn't very beautiful and might need
some honing, but basically it works. So if, for what
reason ever, a device is not mounted at
the path given extlinux will now exit rather than
writing over the system disks boot sector.

Casual

Be a better friend, newshound, and
Re: [Fwd: Re: extlinux reports "./extlinux: path /media/disk doesn't match device /dev/sda4"] [ In reply to ]
Casual Programmer wrote:

> The idea is, that the root directory "/" will always
> be on the system disk, so I just added a pass to find
> the "devname" belonging to "/" then
> proceeding as normal. If the devnames for "/" and the
> target directory match, extlinux aborts indicating
> this fact.

This is completely and totally bogus.

If extlinux is the system bootloader, then often what you call the
system partition will be the one that should have extlinux installed on it.

-hpa

Re: [Fwd: Re: extlinux reports "./extlinux: path /media/disk doesn't match device /dev/sda4"] [ In reply to ]
How often is this the case ?

> If extlinux is the system bootloader, then often
what you call the
> system partition will be the one that should have
extlinux installed on it.

I think in most cases people try to make _some_other_
disk bootable. If I boot with extlinux as the
bootloader
why should I want to install it again ? Apart from
that it would then require -u not -i.

Casual

On Sa, 2008-01-26 at 19:06 -0800, H. Peter Anvin
wrote:
> Casual Programmer wrote:
> >
> > The idea is, that the root directory "/" will
always
> > be on the system disk, so I just added a pass to
find
> > the "devname" belonging to "/" then
> > proceeding as normal. If the devnames for "/" and
the
> > target directory match, extlinux aborts indicating
> > this fact.
> >

> This is completely and totally bogus.
>
> If extlinux is the system bootloader, then often
what you call the
> system partition will be the one that should have
extlinux installed on it.

> -hpa

traffic.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Re: [Fwd: Re: extlinux reports "./extlinux: path /media/disk doesn't match device /dev/sda4"] [ In reply to ]
Op 27-01-2008 om 00:23 schreef Casual Programmer:

> I think in most cases people try to make _some_other_ disk bootable.

Euh, yes.

> If I boot with extlinux as the bootloader
> why should I want to install it again ?

You don't need to.
It indeed doesn't make sense to re-install a bootloader
on a computer that can boot.

Geert Stappers
With having the feeling that he is lost in this thread.
Please respect the discussion order and reply below the text.

Re: [Fwd: Re: extlinux reports "./extlinux: path /media/disk doesn't match device /dev/sda4"] [ In reply to ]
Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 27-01-2008 om 00:23 schreef Casual Programmer:
>> I think in most cases people try to make _some_other_ disk bootable.
>
> Euh, yes.
>

>> If I boot with extlinux as the bootloader
>> why should I want to install it again ?
>
> You don't need to.
> It indeed doesn't make sense to re-install a bootloader
> on a computer that can boot.

Uhm, yes it does. You may want to *change* bootloaders, or install an
updated version.

-hpa